Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
stevie wonder

lug-nut covers

When I torqued the lug nuts on our Cougar 2017 GSG28 the socket slipped on the lug nut. It looks like the nuts have a cute cover. If so-- HOW DO YOU GET IT OFF ?

Stevie Wonder
stevie wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
1st Chev Diesel

They should just pull off.
1st Chev Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a plastic lug nut cover that slips over the lug nuts, more for "dress-up" than for function. If you tried to torque the lug nuts with the covers on, you probably damaged the fragile plastic.

There is a tool that is specifically designed to remove the plastic covers, although any pliers with a protective cover, either rubber sleeves, dipped in Plasti-dip, wrapped with electrical tape or even a "strong set of fingers" will pull the plastic covers off the lug nuts.

Here's a photo of one of the multiple designs of tools for the job. Prices range from less than $10 to well over $50.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LUG NUT COVER REMOVAL TOOL.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	16812  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
stevie wonder

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I will take-off the "bling" and finish the job.

Stevie Wonder
On the 1000 mile shake-down trip from Charleston, SC, to New brunswick, CA and back.
stevie wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
KSH

I saw a video that said the trailer should be jacked up to torque properly, is that correct? Just got new wheels and want to check torque after some miles.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I saw a video that said the trailer should be jacked up to torque properly, is that correct? Just got new wheels and want to check torque after some miles.
IMHO that would be very difficult to torque them & keep them from spinning at the same time. When my truck tires are rotated at Discount Tire they always let the truck down before they torque.
I was taught when checking the torque to loosen then retorque. By constantly just torqueing without loosening will eventually stretch & break the lug nuts. Also to torque initially, drive a couple hundred miles then retorque & done til wheel is removed again, not necessary at every stop.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover