Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
gordo

No heat in bedroom

New Montana 3130. Still trying to figure out the switches and things.

Here is the issue. The furnace in the living area works as it should. The furnace in the bedroom, not so much. I set the thermostat, the blower comes on, but no fire. Propane full, everything is as it should be, but no heat upstairs.

This is driving me nuts, Granted, it is not a long trip. Any clues????
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you have two furnaces in your RV. It's a 35' fifth wheel and the specs I've found on all of the models online indicate that there is a 35,000 BTU furnace and a 30,000 BTU air conditioner system (2 15K units) and the main A/C is a heat pump. The front A/C is "cool only". So, the "control thermostat" in the bedroom may be the same model as the "heat pump thermostat" in the main area of the RV, and the "heat section" just isn't used.

The furnace heat comes through the floor registers and typically the long duct run and the sharp angles in the ducting cause the floor registers to "barely blow warm air". The ceiling ducting for the A/C units is interconnected so with either unit operating, all ceiling ducts deliver air. If the main unit is on, the heat pump will deliver warm air, but if the front unit is on, it can only deliver cool/ambient air since there is no heat pump capability.

That said, you may have a 5100 BTU "heat strip" in the front unit. Typically that type "electric heating element" doesn't deliver very much warmth and there is almost no noticeable temperature rise when using the "heat strip". On some models that are equipped with a heat strip, the trailer leaves the factory with the heat strip unplugged from the A/C unit. You might find that to be the situation "IF" you have a heat strip.

However, back to your question, it's likely your thermostat in the bedroom doesn't control any heating function and you only have one furnace, located beside the water heater on the road side of your basement area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
gordo

thanks john

I'll go look for that plug. I guess I was understanding that the thermostat controlled heat up there.
I thought the kid that did the walk through with us said it did.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
gordo

Hold on, could it be I need the heat pump on down below to get heat up top....Im sooooo confused
Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If (and I believe from the literature they are) the two A/C units are tied in "racetrack configuration" so unless the "main heatpump" is on, there is no heat being delivered to the "racetrack" to be propelled through the system. But, there probably is no need to turn on the bedroom unit to get air delivered from the main unit. Either unit should deliver air through all of the vents. Keep in mind that you can only get "warm air" if the heat pump is operating.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
travelin texans

If your talking furnace, warm air from floor vents, you should only have one. On mine the bedroom furnace duct work had came loose from register & had to remove basement wall to reattach.
If talking heat pump, warm air from ceiling vents, then if it's 40 degrees or less outside it will blow cold air not warm. If you have your thermostat set to "elec" it should run the heat pump until ambient temperature inside falls to 3-5 degrees below set temperature then gas furnace will start up. Also if thermostat is on "elec" when you turn it on if you set t stat more than 3-5 degrees above what the temp shows inside the furnace will start til it warms to t stat setting then the heat pump will take over.
I hope you can make sense of this, it's not as complicated as it sounds.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
gordo

Well,
The dealer called, and said that the bedroom thermostat on provides a/c to the bedroom. The heat is supplied by the living room thermostat. That being said, it would make sense that very little warm air makes it to the bedroom heat ducts.

Sounds like B/S to me, but I'm willing to make a few tests. If I block one of the living area ducts, more air will go to the bedroom....We will see...
Old 01-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

What the dealer told you isn't BS. It's what I attempted to explain above and the way every trailer with two roof units, one of which is a heat pump and one that is a conventional A/C works. They all do the same.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Pull Toy

For what it's worth... our heat pump is useless below 40deg +/-. You need the furnace and or fireplace heater, and/or heat strips, (if equipped) when it's cold. Heat pump or heat strip will deliver warmth from the ceiling, The furnace is in the floor vents.

If your furnace is providing warm air downstairs, but not upstairs, your problem is probably the ducting to the upstairs floor registers. I would check my duct connections, and also check for kinks. Zip tie, or preferably duct tape, or clamp all register connections to keep them in place.

When it's really chilly, we throw down towels or area rugs over the floor vents where we "are not" forcing/directing thewarm air to where "we are".

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What the dealer told you isn't BS. It's what I attempted to explain above and the way every trailer with two roof units, one of which is a heat pump and one that is a conventional A/C works. They all do the same.
Now that I have re-read what you posted, and you are right. I just get frustrated with dealing with them.

I will go take a look at the duct work too. It could be disconnected somewhere.

Thanks to all for the good advise. Now I just need to get my truck, get it set up for the tow, so we can go.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
IRV2

Yes check the ducting

Sometimes this can happen. We wondered why we weren't getting warm air from this register. Our brand new 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	15127  

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV2 View Post
Sometimes this can happen. We wondered why we weren't getting warm air from this register. Our brand new 5er.
Holy Crap!
That looks nasty. I'll be checking things out as I go.
p.s.
I see you have the andersen hitch, do you like it. I looking to buy a new f350 s/b and weighing all the possibilities.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #13
Tinner12002

If the thermostat is anything like mine, which will take some time getting used to, when you go to heat, it will show elec or gas. If you go the elec route then yes as others have mentioned you should have warm air from ceiling vents. If you select gas then your furnace will run supplying warmer air from the floor vents which you should have possibly a couple of in your bedroom, upper units don't run when you use the gas or furnace option.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #14
IRV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Holy Crap!
That looks nasty. I'll be checking things out as I go.
p.s.
I see you have the andersen hitch, do you like it. I looking to buy a new f350 s/b and weighing all the possibilities.

Thanks
Lol, yes we were shocked to see that and we fixed it. As for the Andersen hitch I really like it I have the steel version only 40lbs. This is my first 5er and this hitch is very easy to hook up just drop it on. I do have rails in the truck bed but its only about 1 1/2 '' sits above the bed and thats not a big deal. Taking it in and out is easy I just unbolt it and hand it to the wife...

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV2 View Post
Lol, yes we were shocked to see that and we fixed it. As for the Andersen hitch I really like it I have the steel version only 40lbs. This is my first 5er and this hitch is very easy to hook up just drop it on. I do have rails in the truck bed but its only about 1 1/2 '' sits above the bed and thats not a big deal. Taking it in and out is easy I just unbolt it and hand it to the wife...
Ha, If I handed that to my wife, I would be wearing it.

As for the Andersen, I am thinking the steel one as well. New truck will have the puck set up, so rails will be the answer. Still debating with myself which way to go. Fifth wheels are tried and true, but then again, so was the horse and buggy.

Thanks again for the advise...
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Well,
The dealer called, and said that the bedroom thermostat on provides a/c to the bedroom. The heat is supplied by the living room thermostat. That being said, it would make sense that very little warm air makes it to the bedroom heat ducts.

Sounds like B/S to me, but I'm willing to make a few tests. If I block one of the living area ducts, more air will go to the bedroom....We will see...
Not sure how your ducts work, if all is run through a rigid floor duct or the flexible type like IRV2 has.
At this point is is time to remove registers and if rigid, use a mirror to check for obstructions. The other thing to look for is poor connections.
Our bedroom is on a rigid duct connected to the under floor duct, that connection leaked so much we had very poor circulation to the bedroom.
Get a roll of good quality foil duct tape, and seal every leak.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
Johnko

You say that blower comes on but no fire. I'm assuming you mean that that propane furnace burner does not come on. A wasp had built a nest in the furnace exhaust on my Montana. I had to remove the cover and clean it out. There is a sensor in the exhaust and intake to make sure you have air flow to the furnace before the burner will light.
Johnko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnko View Post
You say that blower comes on but no fire. I'm assuming you mean that that propane furnace burner does not come on. A wasp had built a nest in the furnace exhaust on my Montana. I had to remove the cover and clean it out. There is a sensor in the exhaust and intake to make sure you have air flow to the furnace before the burner will light.
Well, yes, no propane burner.
It looks like the bedroom "heater" is not. Just a/c from the bedroom thermostat.
Kinda sucks, but we can live with it.
Thanks for the help,
Gordo
Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #19
Johnko

I'm am not familiar with the heat pump set up, but my propane furnace heat ducts in the floor go to the bathroom and bedroom. The duct work is actually thru the belly storage.
Johnko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
travelin texans

You will only have 1 furnace regardless of how many thermostats you have. If more than 1 has a "heat" setting then it's either a heat pump, has heat strips or just a universal thermostat that does absolutely nothing for heat.
Agree the furnace ONLY blows from floor vents, heat pumps/heat strips/ac ONLY from ceiling vents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, heat