Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
GINGERH

calculating trailer weights

We are getting ready for a trip to colorado with our 2015 passport. It is the 23foot bunkhouse with no slide. We have never weighed the camper and decided to do so before this trip. Our town has a single platform truck scale. How is the best way to determine tongue weight? i have googled it and got more answers than I can understand. some say don't use the weight distributing hitch when determining tongue weight but it seems to me you wouldn't get an accurate weight for when you are actually towing. Can I just have the camper hooked up (with WD hitch) to the truck and pull just the truck on the scale and then weigh the truck separately and the difference would be tongue weight? Thanks for any input.
GINGERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
jsmith948

On a platform scale, you will have to weigh the truck without the trailer (fully loaded with fuel, people and cargo as it would be for a trip). Then weigh the entire rig. Then weigh the rig (loaded to go) with just the trailer wheels on the platform. Subtracting the trailer wheels only weight from the weight of the entire rig will give you the weight being carried by the TV. Subtracting your original, truck only weight from that will give you your tongue weight.
I can't speak to what to do with the weight distribution bars - never messed with them as we have a fifth wheel.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll need four weights to find the data you need. First weigh the truck and trailer together. Then pull the truck onto the scale with the trailer off the scale and weigh the truck while hitched. Next, DON'T MOVE ANYTHING. Uncouple the weight distribution bars and weigh the truck without WD levering the hitch weight to the front axle. Then pull off the scales and unhitch, return to the scale and weigh the truck "without the trailer". Those numbers will give you these weights:

1. Total rig weight (GCWR)
2. Truck weight (GVR)
3. Trailer weight (Rig minus truck)
4. Tongue weight (truck hitched minus truck alone <WD bars hanging loose>)
5. WD Tongue weight (truck hitched minus truck <with WD bars tensioned>)

If you want and have the scale time, you can also pull the truck onto the scale "front axle only" and weigh both with the trailer hitched and not hitched. That way you can also get (through some math calculations) the front axle weight, rear axle weight, and if you have more time, tension/release the WD bars with only the front axle on the scale and you can get the amount of weight being applied to the front axle by the WD bars.

Another, much easier way to weigh is to find a CAT scale and do it with the "three pad scale" where you only need three weighs. Pull the truck front axle on pad 1, truck rear axle on pad 2 and trailer axles on pad 3. Weigh the total truck/trailer, release the WD bars and weigh total truck/trailer and then unhitch and weigh truck alone. With those weights you can get even more information than with the multiple weights on a single pad scale.

Good Luck, and yes, knowing the information is really worth the hassle and effort.

ADDED: It seems much more complicated with a single pad scale (and it is) because with the 3 pad scale you're actually getting 9 weights when you do as I explained. Each pad, 1, 2 and 3 give you information with one "ticket" which would require 3 "tickets" on a single pad scale. So 3 "3 pad weights" equals 9 "single pad weights".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
SummitPond

Here are a few links I found with a search on this site; it is chocked full of info. I think the first link is the most applicable for your question. Others more knowledgeable on the topic will provide direct comments/help to you.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28020

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29284

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=28664

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote