Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Ebermank

Issue with brake connection on trailer

Greetings- We own the Fuzion Chrome 2016 model. We have been travelling successfully since last december.

However, during our current trip to Smoky Mt NP, we lost connection between trailer brakes and truck. The truck dashboard icon stated "check trailer brake wiring" with a red icon shaped like a truck with a line through it.

Secondly, the dashboard then stated "Light electric 4.5 gain"- odometer had an orange truck symbol.

Any opinions or insight for us ?

Thanks, Karen/John
Ebermank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You don't indicate what kind of truck you have, but if it's a Ford, the problem may be the umbilical connector on the trailer. Ford uses a Bargman connector and Keystone uses a Pollak connector (I may have those brands reversed). At any rate, the pins on the trailer connector are smaller than the plugs on the trailer connector and as they vibrate, sometimes they lose contact. You can apply di-electric grease (helps improve electrical connection and prevent corrosion/moisture) to see if that will help. Don't forget to apply di-electric grease to the connector at the back of the truck plug.

If that doesn't help, look at your truck's plug, get the brand and buy a trailer umbilical of the same brand.

We had the same problem with our 2013 F250 and after installing a new plug on the trailer, I never had any more problems. Hopefully you can find your "fix" to be just as easy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
jaxfore

I had this issue not long ago and it turned out to be battery in trailer wasn't charging so giving bad signal to truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaxfore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Desert185

My issue was the added umbilical plug inside the bed. Faulty wiring. Replaced the loop and all worked as advertised.

Also big believer in dielectric grease.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
dcg9381

You may want to check your trucks settings, in addition to the connector. A fusion should be "heavy electric" - which should be a selection within the truck brake controller setup. This won't solve the connection problem, but may help with braking.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
xrated

As John stated, different brands of plug and receptacle. I had the same issue on my 2011 F250 and what I ended up doing was buying a Velcro strap and wrapping it tightly around the plug and the "door/cover" , which held the plug tight in the receptacle.....problem solved
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote