Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
smiles5160

Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton 283RETWE

Starting a thread for 283RETWE owners. My neighbor and I both have 2016 models near the same date of manufacture. With different warranty times Looking for information about any and all 26-30ft 5th wheels. And in turn will pass along our experiences.

Any new threads I will preface with 283RETWE.
smiles5160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
smiles5160

Open issues list. Will post as I get them.

Explanation of open issue list. This is a list of issue and hopefully resolutions. It is not meant to be disparaging, however, needs to be accurate. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. This will help us move forward with healthy and serviceable campers.

283RETWE Issues seen so far. I am reporting for 2 identical 283RETWE trailers.

1. Leaks in window frames. My neighbors camper has been out in the California rains this year, off an on. Three of the trailer windows are leaking from the bottom of the frame, indicating a seal failure. Drivers Side Reas slide 2xwindows and the Kitchen window. Keystone has promised to fix the leaks through the dealer, this is scheduled.

Discussing this with a local dealer, they are recommending window caulking to backup the internal seals of the windows. Doing more research and will post the update ASAP.

2. Leaks through the roof. My neighbors camper is leaking through the roof at the inside roof seam 1/3 of the way from the front of the passenger slide. This is the Large slide. The area is above the A/C but below the kitchen vent.

This is being reported to Keystone. Will send an update as soon as I have it.

3. Rusty Gas pipe under trailer. Have not submitted this to Keystone but likely will. They user painted iron pipe. Dubious. I am researching changing these sections to Galvanized.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

My thought is you're trying to get info on problems with your model of trailer? Keystone?

I'm thinking if you have problems with your specific RV and can address those problems with the forum that is good. Trying to relay "problems" for 3rd parties and being unable to provide specific info in a timely manner wastes your....and our, time. Not trying to be ugly but if someone has an issue, "the friend" probably needs to chime in. JMO

You state that these issues have been reported to Keystone, or are going to be; what resolution are you looking for from the forum? You have to give Keystone time to respond.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
smiles5160

This is an open thread for two way transfer of information. The good stuff goes in here as well. So not not just relaying information for a third party. My 283RETWE is covered in storage and winterized, but getting ready to pull the cover off.

So, related to the issues. This is the current status. Updates will come as we get them. If other have seen these issues, they can chime in or track the results. Albeit I am concerned about the leaks.

Clarification..
Issue 1, 2. Keystone saw the issue and approved warranty replacement of the seals. This is scheduled and not completed. Trailers goes in next week.
Issue 3. Just started, still trying to figure out the cause. Trailer is new. So neighbor is bummed. As am I. Will figure out the fix and post it here.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Seems like all is on track....keep us posted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Item #3: RVIA and most local plumbing codes REQUIRE "black iron pipe" for propane/natural gas use. Galvanized pipe is not a suitable sub (per code) in most applications. Rust is not "bad" but is a surface coating that actually protects the underlying metal from further corrosion. Get some "expert advice" from a professional plumber before you start "modifying your trailer's propane system"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
smiles5160

Thank You for the feedback. Rust is visually alarming. So agreed with the plumbing recommendation.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Seven Gable

JRTJH is correct that Galv pipe is not acceptable for propane. Steel wool & paint the black pipe is the way to go. A lot easier too.
Seven Gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
smiles5160

Updates: working through the summer with a 283retwe

First things first. Here is the good stuff.

Love the trailer and the layout.
1. We love the layout.
2. Great with 2 kids
3. Reasonable tow
4. Easy to setup
5. Great storage
Old 07-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
smiles5160

Part 2

Bad stuff.

Rust on places there should not be rust for a 2016. Such as the shower drain screw.
Blow bearing seal right rear wheel, around 900 trailer miles. I will run a separate thread on this.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
smiles5160

Update on leaks.

After 2 months Keystone paid repairs on the Window seals and the roof leak.

Window leak root cause. Improperly installed windows seals.
Roof leak root cause, Air Conditioning seal.

Tags
cougar, keystone