Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
DennisT

New, retired, TT owner's views after 1st. year (E WA state)

Well, it's actually been 11 months since we bought our first-ever TT. First ever RV of any kind, as I'd always thought they were a lot of expense, concern, work and poor dollar recovery if/when sold.

Wife's health has been poor for years, though not life threatening. Motels had become a bother when she was feeling punk, and when she got a, "little," dog last year, dogs in motels pushed me over the edge. Sure, motels will take pets now, but not without more $$$. Even though this is is a non-shedding, clean little critter.

So, somewhat on impulse, last July we bought a 2009 Springdale 266RL from a dealer wife's brother-in-law really liked and where he got one. (RnR RV, Liberty Lake, WA) Dealer was OK, tons of, "fluff," fancy in dealership. I am confident I paid too much, but having no experience, I chose to buy this way. Not sure I did the right thing in the purchase.

So we made 3 rather short trips last summer/fall. Went OK. Everything works. We did buy extra insurance, (covers tires, mechanics, etc. - with the expected high purchase price).

I have a '97 Dodge 3/4-ton, 4WD Cummins pickup, 148,000 miles on the clock. At first I hated pulling the trailer. WAY too big a box back there blocking view. I worried about overloading pickup's brakes, even with my manual trans. Got used to it by third trip and mirror extensions, but I will say pulling a TT takes 100% attention ALL THE TIME, and is more critical than driving with no trailer. For me, it takes some of the fun out of driving.

This year I upped the hp of the truck some and had an exhaust brake put in. I feel much better now about any 6%, 10-mile-long down grades. (And we have one near here)

With our TT's Carlisle tires now turning roughly 5 years old, I wonder if I should scrape up $$ for new Maxxis M8008's???? Every time I read forum threads I discover more to worry about. Tires being top of the list.

I've turned 70 this year, and even with a long history of driving all types of back roads and highways, I have become more concerned and careful as time passes. We're still a bit on the fence about the TT, so this season will tell-the-tale as to whether we stay with this for a while or bail out of the TT idea next summer.

My opinion now is that younger folks sail through RV'ing without much concern. At our age, needing to be more careful so as to avoid pitfalls and breakdowns, I've decided that RV'ing better become one's hobby because they require a lot of tinkering/maintenance/fiddling to keep everything in good shape.

Thanks for wading through this and thank you for these forums. They keep us going on a lot of concerns.

Dennis in E WA state
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Dennis -
As you probably already know, the older one gets the harder it is to accept and deal with change. You and your wife have made a fairly big change and it seems to be causing you a bit of anxiety which isn't at all unusual at your age. Telling you not to worry isn't the solution but a lot of people much younger than you go through the same issues with their first RV so you are not alone.

While it is true that owning an RV does require some work. Carrying out maintenance, "tinkering and fiddling" are all part of RV ownership but once you get the hang of it, many of these chores become routine and almost enjoyable!

Regarding the tires, if they are 5 years old you might start saving now for getting new ones not too far down the road. 7 years would be max IMO. It does sound like you have your truck running the way you want and it is performing well so that is a big plus.

In the meantime, enjoy what you have now and make the best of each outing. Short trips - close to home - is a good way to start. Each time out will get a bit easier and less stressful. Give this season a good try and then you can sit down a evaluate this past year and make a decision as to whether or not you will carry on again next year.

Our members will help you out in any way we can so if you are having a problem, you know where to come for help.

Enjoy.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Dennis,

First of all, to the forum and to the Keystone family. I will say that I'm not "too far" behind you in age, however, in mental age, I'm still just a kid at heart. Going places, seeing things we were too busy to stop and enjoy when we were travelling with the kids, not being "bound to a schedule" gives us the freedom to just enjoy our RV time. There may be days when we only travel a few miles and there may be other days when we plan to stop, feel like pushing on a bit and go another hundred miles or more. Whatever, we are no longer forced to keep a schedule and that makes RVing a perfect way to travel.

As for pets and motels, we've found that most "pet friendly" motels have only a couple of rooms, usually right by the front desk, that accept pets. Those rooms, in my experience, often smell like the last "renter's wet dog" and aren't the kind of place I want to sleep, even for a "one night crash." So, we enjoy our RV because it only smells like "our wet dog" LOL

As for maintenance, when I'm not busy playing on my tractor, or playing in the garden, or playing in my boat, I enjoy PLAYING with my RV. Heck, there are times I'll go out and just sit in it thinking about what I can do to it next..... My biggest "hurdle" is trying to convince my DW to let me tear something out before I get all the parts to put it back together again.... But, even then, she's come to either trust my judgement or at least, she's learned to camp with the unfinished mod

Something to seriously consider, is that with today's technology, we're never really any further from help than a quick dial on the cell phone. It's nothing like it was 40 years ago when the only help came at the end of a phone with a curly cord connecting the headset to the base and it only wen't as far as the cord would allow. So, help is always readily available almost everywhere.

Whatever your decisions at the end of this summer, enjoy the time you spend in your RV this year. Those memories may be some of the best you'll ever have.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
DennisT

new guy

First, thanks for the kind replies.

Festus: Yeah, tires. And I obsess a lot, often when it's unnecessary. Like early this morning when I made the mistake of reading more, "tire," threads. Made me want to call a tire dealer and get new tires right now. We do want to travel from here, near Spokane, WA, to Central Montana this season to see daughter. It would be our first long trip, but I know those highways and have no concern for them. I suspect road work and fresh oil might be my biggest irritant. But these tires...........

Yes, my truck's running good. It would always pull the wall off a house...just slowly. Now it's much more capable without overpowering any drive train components. And the exhaust brake is a great add-on.

JRTJH: Thanks for, "being older." (grin) Many years ago I was told that an older man was just a young man that wondered what happened. It's true. I'm still on the run constantly around our old, historic farmstead. Which brings to mind: what kind of tractor do you play around on? My other problem is I have too many hobbies already. I run a Fairmont railroad motorcar occasionally on railroads, hauled easily on my car trailer. Also have a couple vintage 1.5 ton grain trucks I play with as well as a couple old tractors. No end to interests.

I've already improved a few things on our TT and am currently bee-proofing exterior vent/covers. I'd also like to screen any openings on the roof's AC unit, but have no intention of getting up there myself and stumbling around on a marginal-strength roof.

Right now my only real concern are the tires, about which my tire shop merely said, "they look fine."

Otherwise, I will say the TT is an interesting unit with more features than I would have expected several years ago.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
davidjsimons

Dennis,
Welcome to the forum. The wealth of knowledge among the members here have made my travels much more safer and secure, if only in my mind. Things I never really gave much thought to are discussed in detail and explained to a point of feeling certain with the answer. Sure, from time to time, there are disagreements and from time to time, ones opinion is not appreciated, but as a whole, this bunch is a friendly bunch. I am sure you will enjoy the time ahead of you in respect to this new lifestyle known as RVing. I too am the proud owner of a Dodge with a Cummins diesel and likewise, own a few John Deere, among them a couple of 9400's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Bugle Boy

Welcome. I too am that age and I will not give up my TT until I can no longer drive. We love it. We bought our first one in 2004 and our first trip was to take our grandsons on a journey following the entire route that Lewis and Clark. We left St. Charles Mo the same day they did 200 years earlier.

I am rather "Monklike" when it comes to using public restrooms on the highway and sleeping in beds that others have used and not knowing how they have been cleaned and maintained. With our TT, we have our own restrooms and bed when traveling. In addition, we save a bundle by preparing our own lunches and meals on the road.

If we get tired driving we pull into a rest area or walmart and take a nap in the TT.

Being raised on a big dairy farm and being a car guy for 50 years I am fortunate in that there are few things on the trailer that I cannot take care of myself.

We wish you the best traveling and RVing. You will meet some truly wonderful people.

We are new here as we have a new Cougar on order and already see that we have a lot in common with others. I plow my garden with a 1953 Super C (Red Power)and catch fish from my Lund Mr. Pike boat. I sound Taps for military funerals and ceremonies and ride with the Patriot Guard. Age is a state of mind.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote