Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
rosepetal

A big Hi Ya'll from DFW, TX

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Lindsey from DFW, Tx. I should probably let everyone know upfront that I don't actually own an rv. But...wait...don't leave..please stay with me.

You see..my mom is a widow (dad passed about 8 yrs ago from cancer) and she is now wanting to take the wheel and do some traveling with me and my brothers. She bought a Ford F150 and is buying a camper in two weeks-the Keystone Sydney 5th wheel.

Why am I here...you maybe asking? Well you see- I wanted to check this out for my mom. I think this is a great forum and have already learned a ton of info. but we also have ALOT of questions. I've grown up rving but dad always took care of pretty much everything so now, camping as an adult, there is a huge knowledge gap. We are basically starting over as new campers. I want to get my mom on here asap but till then-- I will have to be the "go between" and pass along all the helpful info. that I can.

So thanks ahead of time for helping out some "newbie's".

Happy Trails!!

**Travel with mom, brothers, sis-in-law, nephew & Chewy (mom's Shih tzu)**
rosepetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Hi Lindsey, That's a pretty "TALL" fifth wheel for a "standard duty F150. What options did your mom get on the truck to increase the weight capability to carry that big a trailer?

And Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll learn more than you'd imagine around these parts LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Hello Lindsey and welcome to the group! I am also wondering about pulling the Sydney with that sized pick up. Without having checked the weights and your towing capacity and not knowing too many details about your 150, it's hard to judge. It might be worthwhile doing some research to see if the two are a good, safe match.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
chuckretnav

Welcome Lindsey and Mother

Welcome Lindsey and welcome to your Mother, everyone here is very helpful and and there are several members on here everyday. One thing to remember is there is never a stupid question. I too am a little concerned about a F150 pulling the RV you have chosen. Now some people just travel all the time, some travel part time, and others put them in a RV park and enjoy them year after year right there and it's never moved again. But even sitting still you have lots of maintence and preventive maintence. I have a cougar 327res and I pull it with a Chevy 3500HD crew cab long bed. It is a gaser it has a vortec 6.0 and Ive found some days I wished I would of paind the other 8,000 and got the diesel instead. You can sometimes pull something, but can it get up the hill in a safe manner and without wearing everything out. And Lindsey thank you for helping your Mom. Happy trails to both of you.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
geo

Rosepetal -

Yes, a Big Texas Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good information here.

And like the others, I will echo the concern on TV (tow vehicle) capabilities. Don't listen to the salesman. There have been several threads in the forum concerning towing safety. It's just not the capability of the tow vehicle to pull something, it's also in the stopping!

Have fun!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
rosepetal

You guys bring up a great point

First, thank you all so much for the warm welcome. You all bring up a good point about towing capacity. I asked mom about this and she gave me some info. on the truck and trailer weights. The truck dealer and the RV dealer both "said" that the truck would be big enough to pull that rv....but I'd love to get a few more opinions.....here's what we've got.

The Truck is an F-150 SuperCab Std. Bed 2WD with an Ecoboost 3.5L V-6 (Turbocharged) With the Towing package and 3.73 axle ratio, the truck should be rated to pull 11,300 lbs.

The Sydney Outback 283FRE's Dry weight is 7450 lbs, Payload capacity is 2050 lbs, and Hitch is 1280. For a grand total of 10780. Since that was under the 11300, we assumed it would be okay. Do you guys think otherwise? Do you think we may have trouble in mountains?

I ask about the mountains only because i'm curious...chances are- that the truck and trailer will never go up north to be realistic, just because none of us have enough vacation time to travel that far north and mom won't travel without us. This rig will probably just be used a few times per year (mostly in Texas, LA, AR)-But I'd still be curious to see what ya'll think-if we did go by some chance.

Thanks-

**Travel with mom, brothers, sis-in-law, nephew & Chewy (mom's Shih tzu)**
rosepetal is offline   Reply With Quote