Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
JSpain

Trailer plug

I'm wanting to put a 4 wire trailer plug at the back
of my 2017 Alpine so I can pull my small 2 man
Boat . Is there a place that is pre-wired to wire in
A trailer lights ? What color wire does what ?

Thanks for any help
JSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't seen any Keystone product (that does not come from the factory with a receiver ) that has any provision for wiring a 4 wire plug. There certainly is no "jumper jack" or "wiring connector" under the trailer. On our Cougar, when we installed the receiver, I pulled the coroplast down at the back of the trailer and located the tail/brake light wiring there. On mine, there was no "standard color coding". Typically, there is yellow/brown/green/black wiring, on my Cougar, I found yellow/green/red/white/black wiring. A multimeter is your friend !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If you go to etrailer on line you can look at the wiring diagrams for the umbilical cord. Those are industry standard. Once the wires hit the junction box at the trailer, all bets are off.

Your best bet is to identify the circuits by taking a rear lights off. Use a test light and energize the circuit at the factory umbilical plug. Just jumper between the 12V and brake/turn signals.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote