Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
MG72B

Slide out stops

Hi, I have a 2016 Keystone Cougar 26RLS
When I try to bring the slide-out in, it will stop and I have to wait about 1 minute before it will start again. This will happen about 3-4 times while I am trying to bring it in. My 5er has the polar package so I can't see underneath. Has this happened to anyone, if so do you have a solution.
Thanks in advance.
Rick
MG72B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

It sounds like the breaker is tripping and resetting when it cools down. Is it making any noises or seem to be binding any?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
It sounds like the breaker is tripping and resetting when it cools down. Is it making any noises or seem to be binding any?

I don't think it would be a standard circuit breaker as they don't reset themselves but I agree with the general concept that something is overheating and cooling to the point where it will work again.

I'm not aware of the slide motors having any heat limit switches but I suppose it's possible. When the 12V fuse blows it just has to be replaced before it would work again.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Substitute breaker with resettable fuse. Here's a link with some further info about this issue.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26951

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
70R

I've had this happen when the battery was very low or dead. Our 333MKS has a sticker by the control panel saying a battery is required for the slides to operate properly. I'm guessing they draw a bit more than the converter can supply for the time it takes to extend or retract fully. Once the battery charged for a while, the problem went away.
70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Substitute breaker with resettable fuse. Here's a link with some further info about this issue.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26951

More right the firsts time, resetting circuit breaker, they get weak and need to be replaced from time to time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
MG72B

I should have.mentioned that the motor makes a clicking sound when it stops and again when it works again.
It does not seem to binding or hitting anything.
Thanks for your reply.
Rick
Old 06-20-2017, 03:07 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
More right the firsts time, resetting circuit breaker, they get weak and need to be replaced from time to time.
Sometimes you just have to be flexible...

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG72B View Post
I should have.mentioned that the motor makes a clicking sound when it stops and again when it works again.
It does not seem to binding or hitting anything.
Thanks for your reply.
Rick
As for "resettable circuit breakers" there are two or three (depending on trailer model, equipment and wiring) located either on the trailer tongue, just under the front cross member or inside the front pass-through storage compartment. They look like the picture I've included. 12 Volt circuit breakers are not an "extremely reliable" component and quite often will become "weak" and reset a bit below their rated amperage setting. Easy to replace, just sometimes difficult to locate in the wiring. The red cover is almost a "dead giveaway" but sometimes Keystone uses black covers, so look carefully.

There is a over-ride clutch on the slide motor to protect it. When the slide is at the extreme in or extreme out position, rather than the motor bind and "burn out" the clutch allows the motor to continue to turn even though the slide will no longer move. The clicking is the clutch continuing to turn.

If you're hearing a "clicking" I would suspect that your slide is binding somewhere and the motor is applying more force than the clutch setting. This would cause the clutch to click as the slide begins to move. You should only hear the clutch at the extreme ends of travel, not during startup or during slide movement.

Start by cleaning the slide components, lubricate with a "dry lube" (DON'T USE SPRAY SILICONE OR WD40). If you use a "wet lube" it will attract dirt, sand and dust which will cause the slide to bind again.

If you can't locate the cause of the binding which is making the clicking noise, you might consider a trip to the dealership. Adjusting the slide is only covered during the first 90 days of warranty, after that, it's considered "routine maintenance". The dealership "should have seen" this type of problem enough times to know exactly what to do. If nothing is damaged, it shouldn't cost much more than an hour or two of "regular labor rate".
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I had a resettable fuse fail on the slide, it does happen. When my failed it was done. Never worked again. Since then I carried a extra. As I recall Napa had them for under 4 bucks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I had a resettable fuse fail on the slide, it does happen. When my failed it was done. Never worked again. Since then I carried a extra. As I recall Napa had them for under 4 bucks.
Not a bad plan!!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
MG72B

I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I checked the battery, that was fine. Next thing was the breakers. That was fine. Then I down loaded the Accu glide manual. After reading and re-reading I look at all the adjustments. I tried a few adjustments and nothing works. So I looked all around the slide and found the inside bracket that pulls the slide in was bent causing it not to close all the way.
It way to fine a place that can fix it.
Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #13
theallde

Wonder why a "bent bracket" would cause the slide-out to stop, then you wait a minute and then the slide-out will start again?
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
Barbell

With our Montana, the slides would stop and start several times. Also the interior lights go out. The auto level jacks would not retract completely w/o hitting the button several times. Finally, the bi-metal breaker (located on wall behind battery) completely failed and was replaced. No more problems. This is a common problem with Montanas.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
With our Montana, the slides would stop and start several times. Also the interior lights go out. The auto level jacks would not retract completely w/o hitting the button several times. Finally, the bi-metal breaker (located on wall behind battery) completely failed and was replaced. No more problems. This is a common problem with Montanas.
Yup, Yup, it's a common problem with all trailers from every manufacturer. Those "pesky little critters" corrode, fail and simply replacing them "makes things work again" I keep a couple in my "spare parts bin" in the trailer and have replaced them while in campgrounds as often as when troubleshooting the "highly technical aspects" of 12 volt power distribution systems.

When in doubt and you can't find anything else to "blame".... change out the 12 volt circuit breaker. Chances are good that you'll solve your problem and get back to camping without having to tow to the dealership where their first action is going to be to replace the breaker......

The way I see it: $20 in fuel and half a day to haul it to the dealer, wait 2 weeks then $20 and the "other half of that day" to go pick it up or $3 for a circuit breaker. If it works, think of all that you've "saved" (not to mention the frustration of listening to the service writer explaining that you didn't have an appointment for service, so they may not be able to get to your trailer until after camping season ends)...
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #16
E Rod

I have a 2017 Alpine that i just purchased three works ago and does the same thing. However strange thing is it works fine on battery alone but keeps stalling when plugged to shore power. I replaced a bad auto reset breaker but still does it. It gets power to the top post on the hydraulic solenoid but then looses power to the spade terminals. Called keystone and dealer. and they were unable to help me. I will keep looking for problem on my own
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Do a search

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I have a 2017 Alpine that i just purchased three works ago and does the same thing. However strange thing is it works fine on battery alone but keeps stalling when plugged to shore power. I replaced a bad auto reset breaker but still does it. It gets power to the top post on the hydraulic solenoid but then looses power to the spade terminals. Called keystone and dealer. and they were unable to help me. I will keep looking for problem on my own
I did a search for "slide out shore power" and came up with a lot of discussions on this topic. Here are a couple that I copied to get you started:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...de+shore+power

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...de+shore+power

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26924

The first link is probably the most pertinent to your issue. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #18
E Rod

Thanks CT
However my slides are hydraulic. Always leave battery in while connected to shore power but still have that problem. Works fine without shore power. Can't figure it out. Thinking of replacing all the auto reset breakers just to eliminate them from the equation
Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
Thanks CT
However my slides are hydraulic. Always leave battery in while connected to shore power but still have that problem. Works fine without shore power. Can't figure it out. Thinking of replacing all the auto reset breakers just to eliminate them from the equation
Well......dad nabit. If you decide to switch over to cable slides, you'll be ahead of the curve.

Good luck with your issue.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 06-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
E Rod

Would it be possible to disconnect the incommand and install a regular switch for the hydraulic slides? My battery is charged, always connected to shore power, replaced all the auto reset breakers and my slide outs still keep stopping every 3"-4" either extending or retracting. Becoming very annoying plus I'm getting ready to head out for vacation. Very disappointed with an three week old unit

Tags
slide, slide out