Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Utahgeordie

Satellite hookup

I have just taken delivery of a 2019 passport 2400BH and I would like to know how to set up for connection to a satellite system and also how easy is it to install a tv in the bedroom
Utahgeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

What satellite system and is the TV in the bedroom the TV you want to watch satellite TV on? On most 2019 trailers, there will be a coax connector near where you main TV mounts/sits. It will have a box with a small green LED and a button to turn this LED on/off. When on, it powers your amp on your over the air antenna and you can watch OTA tv programming if you have pointed the antenna optimally and done a scan for channels on the tv. If you turn it off, you should be able to connect coax from a sat dish or park cable on the outside of the trailer and you should be able to watch via your main TV. Since most sat systems only have one tuner you may only be able to watch TV while connected to satellite or cable but the OTA channels can be viewed independently on your main and bedroom TVs. Hope this answered your question. As far as how to mount a TV in the bedroom, there is usually a place on the wall marked for this and the type mount will depend on where the mount is located. I am sure someone who owns the same trailer can be more helpful in this regard.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Utahgeordie

Thanks for the info the satellite will be for the main tv
Utahgeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Not sure a Sat signal will travel through the booster/splitter. Pretty much every one I’ve seen has a separate coax run for sat.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Not sure a Sat signal will travel through the booster/splitter. Pretty much every one I’ve seen has a separate coax run for sat.
This is correct. Cable can travel through a booster but need a separate connection for satellite
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
LeeB43

I have a 2019 bullet 220RBI. I just bought a dish tailgater and a Wally receiver. For sure all the splitters cause the signal to be so weak by the time it gets to the receiver it says there’s no signal. I hooked up the satellite dish directly, bypassing the trailer hook up, and it worked perfectly. I’m supposed to take it in to Camping World this Friday to have a separate direct line installed for the satellite. However, yesterday I realized there is a cable input on the rear just above the license plate. I don’t know what that inlet is for and I can’t test it because I’m in the campground with trees everywhere. What else would it be for if not for a exterior satellite hook up? No this is definitely not the solar inlet. Very definitely a coed and put ****ing very definitely a coax input? Can anyone shed some light on this?

2019 Keystone Cougar 315RLS
2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 Short Bed
2019 Keystone Bullet UltraLite 220RBIwe (traded)
2018 GMC Canyon Denali CrewCab 4x4 Short Bed (traded)
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 220RBSL (traded)
LeeB43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
MattE303

Our toyhauler came with separate hookups in the convenience center for cable and satellite, and there are separate coax connectors for each at both tv locations (main living area, and bedroom), so you'd think I'd have been good to go, but as many have discovered, the people who design and build these trailers don't seem to understand that splitters are a no-no for satellite tv so nothing worked when I tried to use the trailer wiring for my DISH system (Winegard Pathway X2 dish and Wally receiver).

My solution was to use their coax wall plates but replace their cabling with a straight run of coax from the convenience center satellite hookup to the main living area satellite coax wallplate. I connect the Wally receiver there and use an HDMI cable to connect to the big tv. For the bedroom tv, I ran another HDMI cable from where the Wally is (main living area) to an HDMI wallplate I installed behind the bedroom tv. Depending on which room we're watching tv in, I just connect the appropriate HDMI cable to the Wally. We never watch tv in both rooms at the same time, but if we did, I could add a powered HDMI splitter box and connect both tv's to it. Both tv's are also connected to the trailer's over the air antenna so we can watch broadcast tv if desired.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
KHBama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB43 View Post
I have a 2019 bullet 220RBI. I just bought a dish tailgater and a Wally receiver. For sure all the splitters cause the signal to be so weak by the time it gets to the receiver it says there’s no signal. I hooked up the satellite dish directly, bypassing the trailer hook up, and it worked perfectly. I’m supposed to take it in to Camping World this Friday to have a separate direct line installed for the satellite. However, yesterday I realized there is a cable input on the rear just above the license plate. I don’t know what that inlet is for and I can’t test it because I’m in the campground with trees everywhere. What else would it be for if not for a exterior satellite hook up? No this is definitely not the solar inlet. Very definitely a coed and put ****ing very definitely a coax input? Can anyone shed some light on this?

How many cable outputs do you have on the wall behind the Tv? If you have 2, that means that input on the back is likely the satellite input
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
LeeB43

Does anyone know what the little coax “loop” is for in the Antenna hookup area? In my ‘19 Bullet area I have an electrical outlet, the plate with the button to push for either cable or over-the-air and a plate with 2 coax inputs with a short coax cable from one input to the other. What the heck is that for?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
LeeB43

I have just the one cable outlet but I have this thing with two cable outlets in the 3 inch long coax cable going between them. ????

Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
MattE303

Quote:
Does anyone know what the little coax “loop” is for in the Antenna hookup area? In my ‘19 Bullet area I have an electrical outlet, the plate with the button to push for either cable or over-the-air and a plate with 2 coax inputs with a short coax cable from one input to the other. What the heck is that for?
Quote:
I have just the one cable outlet but I have this thing with two cable outlets in the 3 inch long coax cable going between them. ????
I believe this is the answer:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...60&postcount=3

...but you would only use this if you're happy with the 'RF modulated (ch 3/4)' hookup for getting the picture to the tv. If you want to take advantage of the better picture quality your satellite system is capable of, use an HDMI cable to connect the satellite receiver to the tv (assuming the tv is HDMI capable). Either way, you'd still remove the loop so you could connect the satellite receiver to the DISH via the trailer wiring.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

You probably have something like this located behind your main TV.

It is a satellite/cable connection plate.

The way it is "supposed to work" is you connect the satellite receiver or the cable input to the rear outside connector on your RV, Then go inside, remove the jumper between the two coax connectors, install a coax from the lower connector to your cable decoder box or satellite receiver IN on the back of the receiver. Then connect the receiver OUT to the top connector on the plate. TURN OFF the Winegard booster switch and you "should" have satellite or cable input through the system to the main TV. Whether there are splitters in the system to feed other televisions in the RV is an individual RV question.

Here's the satellite connection plate as it came from your dealer. If you connect to cable and don't need a "cable decoder box" then leave the jumper in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COAX CABLE JUMPER.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	20739  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
LeeB43

It Worked!

Thank you for the help! Your solution worked for me. Thanks again. 🤙🏻🙏

Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
mskeyspirate

I too have a 2400 BH. I do have a "cable" hookup in the back of the camper. But I've found that the outside hookup does not work for a satellite system. It is a different coax that carries each signal. I have thought about drilling through and putting that connection on the inside of my trailer. Have not yet done it, but would love to hear how all this goes for you.
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite