Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Carrottop

Bed lift kit

Has anyone used this kit (Hatchlift BLK-HVY Heavy Bedlift Kit (for RV) )to add the ability to actually use the space under the bed? We have a full size king pillowtop mattress with a 3" foam topper. We have a Passport 2510RB. Any other supports needed other than the kit?

Thanks,

John
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on the way the bed pedestal in your trailer is built, you may need to beef up the railing where the lift kit attaches to the pedestal. Many use 1x2 fir or spruce to build the platform. There's precious little strength in that kind of "top rail support" for attaching a lift kit. You may find that you'll need to add a 1x3 or 1x4 on the top rails on each side to strengthen the pedestal so it won't bow out or break from the pressure exerted by the lift arm pistons.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Carrottop

Ok I was going to purchase in anticipation of my spring work. I think I will wait until I pull the unit out of storage to verify if it will work or not.

Thanks,

John
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Gegrad

I was going to install the kit for mine but I ordered the wrong size pneumatic lifts, and Hatchlift customer service is non-existant, so I got stuck with lifts that don't fit. I haven't bothered to track down shorter pneumatic lifts.

In any case, I built two 1x4" strips running vertically to connect between the top and bottom frame rails. I screwed the top side straight down from the top frame rail, and I had installed pocket holes to screw the strip down to the lower rail. The lower ball mounts would have been mounted to these 1X4" strips (I took them all out when I realized my lifts were far too long for my space since I knew it was going to be a while for I got back to the job). So you might very well need to install some extra furring to mount the ball mounts to, since the ball mounts are typically too wide to get good support on the frame rails.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
slimchancepistolero

i agree .."Hatchlift customer service is non-existant" i installed the bedlift in my Passport 2520 RL back in November, followed their directions to the T ... bed would not lift ... had to email Hatchlift customer service, who is the owner, and he replied to "follow the directions" ... since the lower mounting brackets were connected to the top bed frame i first made up 3/8" plywood v shaped supports and screwed them in place at the foot of the bed (top frame) and attached the lower mounting brackets ... then i unbolted the bed platform brackets and moved the mounting position approx 3" toward the head of the bed and re attached ... that corrected the problem of the bed not lifting ... it now lifts with a snap and stays in place, giving me plenty of room to move stuff stored under the bed around AND the bed stays down on its own ...hope this helps
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
Leatherman

Hatchlift Customer Service

My impression of their customer service is different. I purchased a bed lift kit for my 24RKPR (Full size queen) and purchased the wrong size while at CW.

After trying to install it, I realized that I had obviously purchased the incorrect kit.

I called Customer Service and they said that since I purchased the kit at retail that I would be entitled to one set of swaps (kit struts) for the kit. They shipped me out overnight a replacement set of struts. They fit perfectly and I had them installed in less than an hour.

They got top marks from me when I contacted them for assistance.

I did have to reinforce the area where they were mounted.
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
slow

Here is a thread that may provide some insights on how some of us did our install of the bed lift struts.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=lift
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
Carrottop

Thanks everyone. I will tackle this once mine is out of storage. I was going to order the heavy duty one.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...SFHGBJOL&psc=1

I have a full size king pillow top mattress with a 3" memory foam topper. Do you think this is the right one or should I go lighter? I don't want it popping up on me.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
RoscoeV

I have to agree that I also had great customer support from Hatchlift. My mattress was a little too heavy and Hatchlift shipped me new struts and it fixed my problem.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #10
rsl

Not to hijack the thread but in my 371 we have the king bed that slides when the slide opens and closes. Is there anyway to do a bed lift or make a compartment to use the under bed storage?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
lcarver02

You will need to follow the directions on the lift strut positioning. They work great when done right. Mine lifts the bed with covers on it. I put a lock latch on the bed with a lock, when you take the lock / latch off, the hatch opens. You can also buy more powerful shocks if you want.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed