Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
RWHightower

Experience with two TV types

I have experience with similar TV type (QX-56 same as Armada)as this accident towing several trailer types including 18 foot car hauler and Keystone 22 RBPR. The Armada/QX-56 is a good tow vehicle as long as you stay within the tow and tongue weights, use stabilization and drive sensible speeds for the wheelbase and driving conditions.

My other TV is a F-150 SuperCrew 5.5 bed with EcoBoost V6 towing same Trailer’s plus a Keystone 27BHS. I will say the F-150 is a far superior TV to the Armada/QX for all trailers I have towed.

SUV’s often are maligned on these forums and that, unfortunately, may be missing an opportunity to improve the owner experience for others by sharing our experience and knowledge.
My observation is that SUV owners are often less experienced towers and may not know the limitations and design dynamics of their TV. Many of these SUV are excellent tow vehicles for lighter loads including Armadas/QX. I really like when the forum community help other owners by remembering how we learned from those ahead of us on the learning curve!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42A28982-7248-4AD7-934F-47F18C6AFBDB.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	19578  
RWHightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
LFord

Overloaded TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWHightower View Post
Many of these SUV are excellent tow vehicles for lighter loads including Armadas/QX.!

Yes, if you are towing a R-POD (or Keystone equivalent of an R-POD), presumably with a WDH.
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWHightower View Post
I have experience with similar TV type (QX-56 same as Armada)as this accident towing several trailer types including 18 foot car hauler and Keystone 22 RBPR. The Armada/QX-56 is a good tow vehicle as long as you stay within the tow and tongue weights, use stabilization and drive sensible speeds for the wheelbase and driving conditions.

My other TV is a F-150 SuperCrew 5.5 bed with EcoBoost V6 towing same Trailer’s plus a Keystone 27BHS. I will say the F-150 is a far superior TV to the Armada/QX for all trailers I have towed.

SUV’s often are maligned on these forums and that, unfortunately, may be missing an opportunity to improve the owner experience for others by sharing our experience and knowledge.
My observation is that SUV owners are often less experienced towers and may not know the limitations and design dynamics of their TV. Many of these SUV are excellent tow vehicles for lighter loads including Armadas/QX. I really like when the forum community help other owners by remembering how we learned from those ahead of us on the learning curve!

Your comments and observations are correct IMO. I think the thing on this, since we are just looking at a picture, is coming up with all kinds of conjecture based on the pic. Doing so leaves the door to most any/all kinds of theories.

I think what blows common sense or advising from past experiences is the fact that there is no wdh or sway. On a GOOD day the Armada may have been up to the task with that trailer (it is a mid sized trailer) with the wdh and sway. Without those, on that kind of road, the Armada wasn't up to the task any way, shape, fashion or form. So, in the end, we aren't trying to advise a (the) driver, simply making comments about poor decision making IMO.

As far as wind, I think that is unlikely. If there was a wind strong enough to blow a loaded RV over there would have been other situations I would think. That's purely opinion based on nothing but I really suspect the driver let the vehicle/trailer get into the buildup on the edge, lost control of the trailer and had no way to get it back. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #24
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Of course, another cause of this could have been the driver constantly worrying with their smartphone and didn't have time to actually pay attention to driving - which seems to be happening with more and more frequency. As a note; ran into our closest little town this morning for breakfast (about 15 miles). On the return trip got behind an older Ford Expedition with a woman (late 20s or so) driving.....very erratically. I followed her for miles at 35-45 (45 speed limit) then a few miles at 55-60 (speed limit 55). During that entire trip I would bet her eyes were not on the road for more that 5 minutes total. She was working her smartphone - I watched her in her left rear view mirror the entire way. She sat well into 2 green lights because she just wasn't looking. I was going to honk but was worried she would just jump off without looking and hit something. Finally decided to pass before she hit the brakes (again) for no reason. The kicker? She had 3 (THREE) small children in the back seat....unrestrained!!! I know that's a long story to put on this but it came to mind when I made the observation about texting and the wreck...probably the reason I thought of it. And, have had no internet since Friday so guess I've got all these little things "bubbling" around in my head.
Reminds me of the time, (not the first time either) on the busy I-5 traffic between Tacoma / Seattle, a young blonde doing her eyelashes using the rear-view mirror for several miles. I didn't see any hands on the steering wheel as she had a cell phone in the other hand. She was tailgating in bumper to bumper traffic too. I was hoping there was a cop around as it is illegal to text and drive now... but as usual no cops around when you need them.

Some people are just STUPID and there is no fix for stupid.
Stupid: having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #25
pdaniel

Having been a campground host for the past 3 years I have seen many combinations of TV towing travel trailers. Some are quite capable, others, not so much. I have seen overloaded pickup trucks and many mid-size SUVs attempting to pull much more than manufacturer recommended gross weights.
I was one of those with a TT the TV could not quite handle (I have since upgraded to a TV that has more capacity than I currently need to I have room to "grow"). That TV has the integrated brake controller and automatic sway controls along with a WDH.
I would like to tell those who attempt to pull one of those "1/2 ton towable" travel trailers that rather invest thousands of dollars into a mid-size SUV to make the jump to a pickup that is much more capable of towing their RV.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote