Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
gregsimard

Front mounted hitch

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to travel trailers We have a Dodge ram 1500 and a 248rbs trailer. We are planning on an extended trip throughout the U.S. and Canada. My question is, a front mounted hitch on the truck. Is it advantageous for getting the trailer into tight spots. I don't have very much experience in backing up the trailer and the physics of pushing a trailer as opposed to backing it seems to make sense to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Greg
gregsimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

I've used them on boat trailers and it works great. Never tried it with TT. Be careful of hitch weight on front end especially if 4x4. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Paddler

Hankpage is correct, the trailer tongue weight will probably be the stopper for using the front hitch to move the trailer in tight spots. Both of my GMCs are limited to 500 lbs so that would eliminate all but the smallest and lightest travel trailers. Maybe the Ford and Ram trucks have beefer front ends...
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
SteveC7010

The front hitches work great for bike racks and such. Folks with boats and pop-up or utility trailers can make good use of them. I think you'd find that the sheer height and width of a TT would block your vision to the point of not being able to see where you want to put the trailer.

At least when backing up, you have the mirrors that stick out far enough to see down the sides of the trailer.

Better to practice backing up and save the cost of the front hitch.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
sagebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Hankpage is correct, the trailer tongue weight will probably be the stopper for using the front hitch to move the trailer in tight spots. Both of my GMCs are limited to 500 lbs so that would eliminate all but the smallest and lightest travel trailers. Maybe the Ford and Ram trucks have beefer front ends...
Even with a heavy front end the front hitch options available limit you to 500 pounds of tonque weight and 9500 line pull (for reciever mounted winches).

Like mentioned before, they are great for keeping a bike rack off the TT bumper.

Learning how to back up isn't that bad. There are a few videos on-line that will come up if you google them. If you place your hand on the steering whell at 6 o'clock and move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go you will get the trailer swinging. Once you get the swing you need turn the wheel in the opposite direction and "follow" the trailer. As you back up you can adjust by again moving the bottom of the steering whell in the intended direction of the rear of the trailer. Keep in mind when you do this, the front of your TV will also swing. I have seen a few quarter panels on TVs get dinged backing into campsites. I'm not saying this to scare you, just be aware the everything that is going on. If you have a large parking lot to practice in take advantage of it. I used some coolers as cones when I taught my wife to back up.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Philip Saran

I second the "practice in a empty parking lot" way to get experience.

After a few tries you will start to gain confidence in what you are doing.

Using cones is nice, but you can also just use the yellow parking space
lines to practice backing into a space.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
sagebel

Don't forget any overhead obsiticals. Tree branches can do a number on your TT.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
AlCorr

I agree, learning how to back up isn't that bad. Just go for it and have fun.
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote