Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Lluker

mattress replacement or ?

Being a lite weight trailer, our 2008 285RLS Passport bedroom mattress is awful! Bottoming out and waking up with sore hips and shoulders is not my idea of a good time. Anyone replaced this poor excuse for a mattress and baring in mind the weight factor, what was your choice of mattress. Wondering if it would be cheaper to have foam cut but worried about the weight. Any help would be appreciated.
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
rrohrer

our mattress not good either. mattress topper from camp world helped a little, but if money were no object I'd replace it. For now I have to make do.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Clark

We replaced our foam mattress in our passport 2510RB grand touring with a mattress from camping world, It is a eurotop made for rv,s made a world of difference, Kinda pricey tho you can catch them at times on sale.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Paddler

If you have the funds...the Select Comfort beds are light weight and super comfortable.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
gregrc75

I replaced mine with a Tempurpedic. MUCH better.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Almost everyone who owns an RV has suffered through sleepless nights, sore backs and aching hips from trying to get a decent night's sleep on the original mattress. Some have had success with a memory foam topper placed on it. Others simply throw out the old mattress and replace it with something better.
The posts above and other threads of the forum discuss various options that are out there.
Personally, I would recommend a complete replacement rather than putting a topper over what is essentially a very poor "mattress". You still end up sleeping on a low quality foundation if you place memory foam over the original mattress.
There are plenty of retailers out there that sell mattresses of all descriptions. You have lots from which to choose --- foam or regular mattress and how much you are prepared to spend in order to wake up in the morning without feeling sore.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
bennydog

We started out with trying the foam topper route and finely replaced it with a "made to order" foam mattress. Cost about $600 and have not regretted it at all. We sleep on a tempurpedic at home and this is as good if not better. And they took the old one off our hands.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Javi

Different strokes I guess the DW and I actually like the mattress in our 2890RL...

After reading many threads on how horrible they are we were ready to bite the bullet and buy a new one but after sleeping several nights on what is a very firm foundation we agreed that it would stay..
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
AlCorr

Here is a good link for mattress.
http://www.mattressinsider.com/memor...attresses.html
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
ebomb

i just threw a feather bed on top of my mattress, and I'm happy ,in a cougar !
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
rrohrer

thanks for the link. looks like some nice mattresses and they come in all kinds of rv sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCorr View Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
jrp

The weight class of your RV had little to do with its mattress selection. They buy 10,000 of whatever is the cheapest at the time and put them in every model. Almost all RV's, except the top of the line, come with cheap, inferior mattress. If getting a good nights sleep is important, throw it out and get a good mattress. The extra 20 lbs (same size, better quality) is meaningless in the big picture. Just visit a mattress store and make your selection.
This was one of the first changes I made to my Raptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluker View Post
Being a lite weight trailer, our 2008 285RLS Passport bedroom mattress is awful! Bottoming out and waking up with sore hips and shoulders is not my idea of a good time. Anyone replaced this poor excuse for a mattress and baring in mind the weight factor, what was your choice of mattress. Wondering if it would be cheaper to have foam cut but worried about the weight. Any help would be appreciated.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Outbackmel

Mattress Store

Just an add on...yes. BUT, not all mattress stores carry or will order a short queen. Keep check'n if you need that and you will find one. Wish we had taken the one from our Hornet TT 2 years ago. Thought the new Outback was going to hold up several years...WRONG...lumpy already. Will be shopping soon, very soon.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
azlee56

We got the lower end RV sleep number and finally got to test it out. We were going to dry camp so I raised the number thinking I could take air out without electric. WRONG.. 75 is not my number!!! The next night after we got the generator going we took them down and even though I need to play some more, I think it is a good deal with a major warranty. Right now they have the regular c2 beds for 600.00 (100.00 less then we paid for it). If you have a solid base then it is fine. I do like the RV version one though.

They are super light too. The one thing I might have done different was get a 80" mattress instead of the 85", it butts right up to the dresser a bit too much and I don't like it. I do push it over though while going down the road.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Lluker

jrp, I am surprised that the weight of the mattress isn't taken into consideration with the weight of the trailer, either the "dry" weight or the "GVW". I have been told by others that have replaced their mattresses that the memory foam is very heavy and that is just not an option here. We too do dry camping and our weight is important to us. So I guess I will be going to check out the local foam shops and see what they can offer with some consideration to the weight and the RV Queen sized mattress measurements.
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
cbarnes890

Bad Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluker View Post
We had the samew problem with our Outback 279RB, we opted for a Serta Qneen size mattress, worked great and no bottoming out and a good night rest,
cbarnes890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
ktmracer

our bedroom mattress was like all others, out it went. However, the airbed hideabed was great. But was worried that an airbed with a leak would be a disaster. Sticks and bricks hideabed has a great mattress. air bladder over a coil spring. Finally found the supplier. Now have it in the trailer. Even if the airbladder goes bad, at least there is a mattress no worse than the orignal.

here is a link to the Air Dream mattress.

the Queen XL is actually a "short Queen" used in most RV's

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
Georgia Rambler

Mattress toppers at Walmart are way cheaper than at Camping World.
Where can you just "go get some foam cut" I have been looking but can't find any "foam shops" around here????

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Rambler View Post
Mattress toppers at Walmart are way cheaper than at Camping World.
Where can you just "go get some foam cut" I have been looking but can't find any "foam shops" around here????
Most any upholstery shop will have foam on hand or be able to order what you need. Check for awning/upholstery in the yellow pages.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Georgia Rambler

Thanks

I found a place today. Now to just figure out what all I need

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote