Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
normanoid

Slideout top seal?

I purchased an '04 Raptor 3512 with couch/dinette slideout. The seals on the top and sides are the same, an offset flap seal 1-1/2" or so tall. The side seals will flip in and out with the slide, but the top won't flip out with the slide. It touches the slide roof the whole width. Do I need to adjust the slideout up to put more pressure on the gasket to help flip it out? The rubber on all 3 sides seem to be soft and in good shape.
normanoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
chuck&gail

First try putting some 303 Protectorant on the seal, both sides. Inside is hard, but put on cloth and wipe. Perfect isn't needed. Sure fixed mine.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
randy69

Ever now and then I clean the top of the slide out when it's in all the way and lite coat silicone lubercant spray on top. Also all rubber seals. Works for me.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Ever now and then I clean the top of the slide out when it's in all the way and lite coat silicone lubercant spray on top. Also all rubber seals. Works for me.
I'm not sure about your slide, but mine has a rubber roof on it (just like the main roof on the RV) and using silicone spray on it isn't good. There's petroleum distillates in silicone spray and the roof manufacturer says that's a "no-no"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH's caution about applying a silicone-based spray on an EPDM rubber roof is something to pay attention to. If your slide roof is like all others, it has a rubber roof and silicone doesn't do good things to it. I'd recommend using Aerospace303 Protectorant instead --- on both the roof and the rubber seals.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
randy69

Ok I have learned something here I will buy the right stuff then. Thanks...

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Ok I have learned something here I will buy the right stuff then. Thanks...
Randy,

I use Dawn dish soap (the blue one) about 1/4 cup in a 5 gal bucket and wet down the roof, put it on with an RV long handle brush, let it sit for about half an hour and then scrub again and rinse. Once dry, I use a wash cloth wet with 303 and wipe everything down.

Lately, there's been some discussion about whether Dawn may have petroleum distillates in it, but the Dicor site still lists Dawn as a recommended detergent.

I also use 303 on all my rubber seals, gaskets in the RV and also on my trifold tonneau cover and tires. I'm sure there are lots of other solutions that protect rubber and plastics just as well, but for me, I've been using 303 since we started using it on airplanes years ago. I figure if it's good enough to protect at sub zero temps and supersonic flight, it's good enough for my fifth wheel

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote