Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
jje1960

325 srx issue

Well, finally have an issue with our SRX that needs to be dealt with. Last Fall, we had our dealer fix the panels that had come loose on both sides of the front clothes cabinets at the front sides of the bed. Due to trailer bounce, the side panels pulled the staples loose, have heard others have seen this as well. The repair looked great, however it's starting again after trip to Richmond this past weekend. Not worth having the Dealer look at this again considering they are 60mi away.... Have decided to repair myself, wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how they effected repair. Thinking of a thin strip of wood, small round head screws or something.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Englishman

quick grip glue.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
dave-g

I have not had this problems with this- but glue and screws sounds good. I would also take a look around under the wood before you refasten it. To me it would not pop off unless the frame was flexing.( like cracks in dry wall- when a house settles) The flexing may be normal, but double check for any signs of cracks.

In my old camper I use a wood screw with a raise chrome washer for the counter sink wood screw. Gave me easy access in the future.

edit- much of the frame in our srx is aluminum
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
LittleJoe

I have not seen this problem either, and this after a return trip to Florida over some brutal spring roads.
I highly recommend a MorRyde pinbox as the amount of roadshock absorbed from trailer and truck is most certainly reduced, than without it, and IMO goes a long way to preserving truck and trailer over the long term.

Not affiliated in any way , just very impressed with the product.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Well, finally have an issue with our SRX that needs to be dealt with. Last Fall, we had our dealer fix the panels that had come loose on both sides of the front clothes cabinets at the front sides of the bed. Due to trailer bounce, the side panels pulled the staples loose, have heard others have seen this as well. The repair looked great, however it's starting again after trip to Richmond this past weekend. Not worth having the Dealer look at this again considering they are 60mi away.... Have decided to repair myself, wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how they effected repair. Thinking of a thin strip of wood, small round head screws or something.
I had this happen on my 325srx but just on the one side so far. It's definitely a tight fit those panel are wedged in there and the pressure on those staples no wonder why they pop out. I will bet your dealer just Stapled it again, that's what mine was going to do for me. I decided to tackle myself, I used PL premium construction adhesive on the original inside edge. I then put a couple staples back into the panel with an air nailer just to set the adhesive. Anything heavy against the panel temporarily would accomplish this too..

My advice, go the adhesive route and it keeps the factory look and it will not come apart on you in the future..

Have you ever noticed "light" from the front cap between the mattress and the cabinets when the bedroom is dark? In our unit I noticed it one very sunny morning as I walked back into the bedroom. Leads me to believe there is virtually no insulation in the front nose. There were a couple of very cold nights in the fall last camping trip for the year where it felt like there was just a massive cold zone at the head of the bed around the storage headboard and below.. I haven't been brave enough to remove anything up front yet, have you noticed this at all? I see the headboard has screws might be able to see what's in there.. If there is nothing, I wonder if a coating of spray foam on the inside of the front nose cap would help with cold and hot tempuratures...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Maxzd -
A friend of mine noticed and felt the same as you with respect to the area behind the bed headboard. He removed the headboard - without difficulty - and found just what you thought might be there - a large empty space - except for a single piece of loose insulation resting on the bottom of the cap.

The void was filled with fiberglass insulation and that area does not feel cold any longer. He said it was an easy fix. Now why haven't I done that too???
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
jje1960

Glue

Hi ya Max. Ya, even though I specifically spent time with them prior to repair, it does not appear they used any adhesive... just went and re-stapled. I'll look for that goop that you listed and attempt to repair. If this does not take care of it, I'll use a thin strip and small round headed bolts. We are so happy with the unit this does not get me all that worked up, that's for sure. As for the insulation in the front, have not been in cold enough to matter I guess, we use a single porcelain heater near the bathroom door, has worked fine when on either shore or genset. However, the brutal heat from the sun in Myrtle Beach... If I get the time (can't see that right now), would be nice to add some insulation in that area! Heading out for another week in the unit this Saturday, not vacation really, just closer to work to ease our extensive commute! The unit is so nice, we enjoy just not commuting and staying in our small apartment RV! Other than hauling the golf cart to Myrtle Beach or Bristol in August, the garage has turned into the man-cave with two leather chairs. I lowered the TV back there, much better viewing from my chair!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
LittleJoe

The pass side closet wall has come loose on the staples after our return trip from Florida this year. Will try the glue route. I am a little concerned with the flexing issue as you can actually see the pin move as weight is taken off truck on the jacks. It does not move a lot, but enough to see.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote