Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
chris199

Question Trailer Size and Limits

DW and I ordered a 32SAb (35'7")......upgrading froma 199ML(22').

Ran into a cpl at a grocery store parking lot with their rig and started up some chit chat. They had their rig last yr and this and were just heading out. The had a Premier by Bullet? Keystone and loved it. The only thing they said was that they were having some difficulty getting sites they liked since their unit was so long at 29' and change.

We have made some reservations for the summer and don't seem to be having to many issues but not sure whether our sites will be wooded and cozy or just a lane in a parking lot (we have all seen those parking lot RV parks).

Any insight? Frankly the DW and I are still a little nervous thinking we should downsize some. Dealer would be OK with that...he just wants us happy with our purchase. 199ML is just too small......

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
richf28

I have a Hornet 28rls. Total length is 33 ft. with the tongue. I haven't had a problem yet with being accomidated. I usually just mention the length unit and the tow vehicle. I have a couple times been seperated from my camping friends but never more than a couple sites away.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

You shouldn't have any problems getting your rig into the majority of campsites at both public or private campgrounds. Some of the sites at older State Parks may prove difficult as they were built for much smaller rigs "back then".
I wouldn't expect a large expanse of grassed or treed sites - "cozy and off by yourself" - at most private RV resorts and campgrounds. Some have sites so close that when you put your slides out, they are almost touching. Others are more spacious with adequate space between units. Remember that the campground owners are there to make a living and having more sites ( and closer to one another) usually means greater profit for them.

Have you checked the websites for those campgrounds where you have made reservations for a site map of the campground? You will be able to get some idea from the site map how close to one another you will be and select ones that are more to your liking.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
SteveC7010

All of the New York State Parks & DEC campgrounds have the max trailer size listed in the description for each site. Many private campgrounds do the same as well as other states.

I would offer that in most cases, you either have some direct control of site capacity via a reservation system and known site sizes, or you are able to communicate your site needs to the campground at time of reservation or at the office when you register. Most private campgrounds are acutely aware of this issue so if you communicate it up front, they are prepared to deal with it to your satisfaction.

It's just another thing that RV owners need to be aware of.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Englishman

We have a 32' Bulllet and haven't any issue so far getting into camprounds just tell them your lenght we you book your spot.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
109rfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
All of the New York State Parks & DEC campgrounds have the max trailer size listed in the description for each site. Many private campgrounds do the same as well as other states.

I would offer that in most cases, you either have some direct control of site capacity via a reservation system and known site sizes, or you are able to communicate your site needs to the campground at time of reservation or at the office when you register. Most private campgrounds are acutely aware of this issue so if you communicate it up front, they are prepared to deal with it to your satisfaction.

It's just another thing that RV owners need to be aware of.
That's not always true my favorite campsite in limekiln state park is popup tent I have no problem getting 30foot trailer in And then other parks mark 30 foot and whole park shouldnt have any more than 20 footers. But hey that's just my opinion. I'd say stay no longer than 30 if your worried about sites
109rfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Mighty Ming

If scouting can't be done ahead of time, I like to go to google earth zoom in on the whole site as well as strreet level zoom. Gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. That's how I pick exactly which site I want ie does it have privacy, what view I'll have, width, where is the turn around. Google earth is a great tool you'll be dole to see the size of the rigs in there and feel a lil more at ease knowing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335463498.519463.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1285Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335463519.347749.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1286

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335463538.408988.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1287  
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Bob Landry

I'm 35' overall and I have not been turned down yet because of length. If I ever am turned down, I'll simply go somewhere else. I'm willing to do that in order to have a trailer that's comfortable and roomy enough for the two of us and a couple of Yorkies.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
35mastr

What I have done in the past at campgrounds. Is after dinner grab a small pad and go for a walk. Look at sites I like. Normally write down six. Then when I decided to go back the following season was to book any one of those six. Or all if friends were going also. I always ended up with one of the ones I wanted and I was at 40 foot with a motorhome.
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
mpgtow

Campsite Size vs. Trailer + Truck overall length

We plan on taking a visit to many national parks with our 240MK Laredo, which is 28' overall with tongue. I pull it with a Ram 2500 diesel -4 door- short bed which is almost 20' long. So, total length is about 48'.
In general, our preference is to avoid the private parks and enjoy wooded areas in state and federal areas.

Those of you with much experience and visiting unknown parks, do you call the actual campground for a site-size recommendation?

Although most sites on-line will list a maximum size, does that typically include rv + trailer? Or, is that an overall length of just the RV(trailer)?

In addition, we recently visited a state park in PA with a reservation and although the trailer would just about fit, I could not back it in with the amount of obstacles surrounding the site from the paved, curved road. This included 2 ditches, trees and the sign post. I finally had to move and was placed in an awful site as the campground was already full. How do you plan for this issue?

The ReserveAmerica also does not give enough information to make a well informed decision.

Thanks for your thoughts!
mpgtow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #11
bsmith0404

First off, thanks for sharing your story/asking the question. My wife and I got a chuckle out of the people you spoke with talking about their unit being so long. To be honest, the shortest trailer we've ever owned was 30', never had an issue finding spots for that one. Our next 5er was 35', never got turned away anywhere we went, but some sites were tight. Now we have 40' and have to be very careful. We have had several locations that just cannot accommodate a rig over 35'.

As mentioned previously some older parks that have not been updated may be a bit small. One thing I have noticed is that most pull through sites will accommodate a rig your size. Although I don't have a problem backing in, if I look for a pull through I am pretty confident that the park has plenty of space. Taking into consideration that many pull through sites were probably two back in sites at one time and just converted to a single pull through. One park we visit often actually uses the sites both ways, pull through for large units, two back in sites for smaller units.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
mpgtow

Many Thanks!
Maybe just look for the pull through?

I see your home is NM
We plan on traveling thru New Mexico via Austin, TX on route to Utah.
One stop may be South of Roswell- Bottomless State Park
Have you been to this campground?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
larry337

Just research ahead of time and you wont have any trouble. My last 3 have all been over 30 feet and I've never had a problem.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgtow View Post
Many Thanks!
Maybe just look for the pull through?

I see your home is NM
We plan on traveling thru New Mexico via Austin, TX on route to Utah.
One stop may be South of Roswell- Bottomless State Park
Have you been to this campground?
Never camped at bottomless, but have made several day trips out there duck hunting. I have a friend who has a 33' passport that was planning to take it out there for duck season this fall. When is your trip? I'll see if I can get some feedback or check it out for you.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
KSH

Sometimes you can Google map the park and do street view and actually "walk" the camp ground to look at all the spaces. I've done this a few times and it was helpful. If street view isn't available then satellite view is a good second option.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #16
mpgtow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Never camped at bottomless, but have made several day trips out there duck hunting. I have a friend who has a 33' passport that was planning to take it out there for duck season this fall. When is your trip? I'll see if I can get some feedback or check it out for you.
Thanks everyone.
My longer trip is not until March / April. But we are planning now as it will be a 10 week trip and visiting national parks. I'm using Rv Trip wizard , AllStays and Google Maps to plan the trip. I'll take a look at rv park reviews for some basic feedback.

Yes, if you go back to a park you have already been, it's easy to recall sites that are preferred. New areas not so easy. I do plenty of research but sometimes all the information is not present and satellite view doesn't pick up the nuances.
I guess what I'm saying is it would be nice if the sites tell you the actual pad length and whether access is easy, moderate or difficult to that site. For example, in my previous post for the site in PA , I could have gotten into 90% of the sites- but could not get into the 1 assigned. Which frankly, looked fine from satellite view. Those ditches around it were very deep and it was impossible to get in unless I unhooked and spent an extra hour maneuvering with assistance (no interest after a long day of driving).
Old 09-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
JoePK

Useful Tool

I've used this on a few campsites - I don't know if it has the one's your going to though. http://www.campsitephotos.com/
Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #18
mpgtow

Thanks!
That site is a big help...
Old 09-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #19
LuvsPalmTrees

Michigan State Parks ask when you are booking how long your trailer is. It will limit the sites you can book. They also now have several photos of each site on the website so you can see what the site looks like. The number of trees, etc. It is a really nice feature to have.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote