Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
MichiganMarty

Need person who knows Generator and Transfer Switches

Hi all!

I've got what I think may be two problems on our 2006 Raptor 3712TS.

First:
My 3712TS has an on board generator with the automatic transfer switch.
The automatic transfer switch box is producing a very noticeable 60 hertz hum. It is mounted to the wall under the toilet room, adjacent the living area and the noise is quite obvious.

Is there something wrong causing the noise or are they supposed to be that loud?

Second:
When running the camper on the generator and operating a small shop vac in the garage, when I turn the vac off the generator dies. This can't be right, can it?

Are the two issues related?

Thanks to all in advance...
2006 Raptor 3712TS on top of a Hensley BD3 Trailer Saver
MichiganMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Transfer switch

An automatic transfer switch uses a electrical relay to do the switching. These devices use a magnetic coil to pull in an armature which operates the switch contacts. They all tend to generate a certain amount of hum under certain circumstances. As a result they are usually mounted on some sort of reliant mount to minimize this. Also, if the armature is slightly misaligned the hum can be severe. Still others tend to be sensitive to mounting position (horizontal vs vertical ou upside down, etc). The relay itself could be faulty.

About the only way to check is to open the box and check. HOWEVER, there is lethal voltage in that box, potentially coming from 2 sources so it should only be checked out by someone who is electrically competent.

Your other problem is more mysterious. Is the vac plugged into the genset or the garage outlet?

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
KenBob

The link below is the owners manual for the transfer switch in our Fuzion. may be the same if you have 30 amp as well

http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/50rman.pdf

The link below is for testing a progressive transfer switch. there may be some similarities between the two.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/troubl...sfr_relay.html
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote