Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Sundawg

Electric awning and remote control

Just picked up a 2010 Cougar 27rls FW.
couple of questions, Electric awning, can you drop one end, to let the rain run off one end to prevent pooling? I have looked, but see no way to do this, My Dealer tells me this cannot be done, any suggestions?

When taking delivery the Tech was able to get the remote (transmitter to operate, front stab legs, slide, and lights) working, but with some issue's. The docking lights would stay on all the time, unable to turn them off. Then the transmitter lost it's signal. Had to disconnect the battery to get the docking lights off. He said he not been able to get this option to work on his last 3 Pre delivery inspections. I can live without this option, but has anyone had any success in getting it to work properly?
Cheers.
Sundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Flyguy

I don't know if the awning that you have is a Carefree, but if it is here's the manual for it and it says on page 3 that water dumping is automatic, take a look through the manual, maybe the brand that you have works in a similar way. http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pd...s%20Manual.pdf As far as the remote features go, well I'm not there to see first hand so I'm only guessing, but it seems to me that given that the remote is ok and with fresh batteries, then if it isn't the remote itself then there may be a control board that works with the receptor in the trailer and if this board malfuctions then it probably can cause a relay to pull up turning on the lights but not letting it release, the Dometic refrigerators have a control board which controls many functions on the refrigerator and they have been known to malfunction too. Try using a remote that is working on another unit on your unit to eliminate the remote being bad, if it doesn't work with a know good remote then I would be looking at the possible control board that you may have in the trailer (this assumes that the dealer is willing to work with you on the issue, after the money changes hands it's anybodys guess).
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

JM$.02 I would think that the remotes are coded to each unit like keyless entry on cars or you would go for a ride when a neighbor operated his landing gear.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Flyguy

Good point Hank, if the remotes are frequency selective then you would be using one on the same IR frequency, there's usually a coding on the remote. Engineers don't design products to malfuction, the production cost consultants do a good job of that.
Timbrens
Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Sundawg

awning

thanks for the information on the power awning, was camping on the weekend and we had a heavy rain, the awning pooled water and then one side dropped to drain it off. Only thing was it dropped the end near the entrance door, but at least it dropped!
Had no WiFi and with the rain i actually flipped through some of the owner manuals. I am disappointed my dealer would not have known this as well!

Now with the remote transmitter issue (i am a Service manager at a Chevy Store as well as a Licenced Tech) I have followed the information as to programing the remotes, several times with no success. When taking delivery of the FW the tech did have it working at one point. I have tested the transmitter with the tester we use for GM keyless entry Fobs, and the transmitter is sending a signal. My best guess is the receiver. So should I ask the dealer to order me one, or wait for him to "look into it"?
Sundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Flyguy

Dealers are special people; once the green is in their pocket it causes a reaction in the brain, which leads to forgetfulness, as far as telling him, I would site your technical expertise and let him know that you think it’s the receiver, this will cause another reaction in his brain which will lead to his need for “one-upmanship”, what he should be doing is making the customer happy in lieu of that nice profit that the customer brought him, good luck.
Timbrens