Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
TonyCO

2015 Laredo LHT 25BH pump running?

Good evening. Bought this trailer about 6 weeks ago and we love it, but...........It seems like we are going through the fresh water tank very quickly. There seems to be something running 24/7 near the water pump. I can hear some sort of motor (or something) running up front near the water pump. When I turn the water on at the faucet I can hear the water pump grind away, but there is something else running non-stop right next to the water pump. Could I be wasting water somehow? Does anyone know what is running up there? Thanks for your help.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

It very well could be the fan on the converter. It's not as noisy as a water pump but you can hear it in the background when running. It cycles on and off depending upon the temperature of the converter. As the converter "warms up", the fan comes on to "cool off" the electrical components so that they don't overheat. The converter may run for long periods of time - especially in the evening when you have your interior lights on.

The converter is often located at or near floor level.

The fan and converter don't have anything to do with any possible "wasting of water". Its job is to convert 110-VAC to 12VDC.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
TonyCO

Awesome, thanks. That absolutely makes sense and I'm sure that is the issue. I have to admit that fan is keeping me up at night, literally. We did have all the lights on for a while before we went to bed. The funny thing is it turned off when I shut the water pump down in the middle of the night so I figured it was related. Thank you for your time Festus.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

The converter fan should not be making that much "noise" to keep you awake at night - unless you are a very light sleeper. With most of the 12V items shut off for the night --- lights, water pump --- the converter should not be generating that much heat to keep the fan running all night. It is possible that the fan blades are "out of balance", vibrating as they rotate resulting in an excessive amount of noise. I'd check first to see if they are "clean" and don't have deposits of dirt building up on the blades. The motor bearings could also be suspect but since your unit is new that may not be the case.

There are some items that will still require 12V from the converter to operate such as the stereo lights, propane detector, fridge control panel that will cause the converter to run. These items are still "working" while you are asleep and the converter (and its fan) will also be working to provide them with 12V.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #5
cw3jason

It could be the pump. If there is air in the system or a small leak the pump will continue to run slowly. It will not make as much noise as it does when you are actually running water, but more of a dull hum. Run all your faucets to get the air out, and burp your hot water heater. Also check for leaks in all the plumbing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
TonyCO

Thank you all for your time. I'm out here now and finally had the chance to open it up. The water pump is the only thing housed inside this void. It is in fact the pump as CW suggested. I have no obvious signs of a leak anywhere, but this thing is pushing water. It is not running full open as if a faucet was open, but it is humming right along. It will shut off for a minute or two, but then pumps away forever. I looked behind the water heater and it all looks good. I hit the pressure relief valve as well. This is our first trailer so I am definitely a total rookie. I have no clue.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

If you can't find any evidence of water leakage in your lines or at the pump itself, your pump may be the culprit. There could be, as suggested above, air trapped in the pump or in a line, debris in the pump, or a defective check valve or diaphragm.

Check all the intake and outlet lines from the pump - particularly where there are connections. Make sure they are tight.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCO View Post
Good evening. Bought this trailer about 6 weeks ago and we love it, but...........It seems like we are going through the fresh water tank very quickly. There seems to be something running 24/7 near the water pump. I can hear some sort of motor (or something) running up front near the water pump. When I turn the water on at the faucet I can hear the water pump grind away, but there is something else running non-stop right next to the water pump. Could I be wasting water somehow? Does anyone know what is running up there? Thanks for your help.
If this is your first trailer, and you are consuming tanked water rapidly, there are some water conservation issues to be considered. Brief summary:

If you're not taking Navy showers, you should be.

Is the shower shut off completely? RV faucets are not the best. We just had a thread about a week ago where someone reported the IDENTICAL symptoms as you, and it turned out to be a dribbling shower head.

Is there a wet spot under the trailer? If so, chase it down.

There are dozens of threads on this topic here going back several years. I invite you to look some of them over. Your solution is probably there already.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
TonyCO

I disconnected the lines from the water pump. I then adjusted the "glass bottle" looking thing on the inlet side. Tightened everything back up and let her rip. Not sure what I did, but I guess there could have been some sort of air in the system? Water flowed out of the faucet perfectly without any hiccuping. I left the pump on for half an hour and it did not run at all unless I opened a faucet. This forum is great, I really appreciate your input. We are going back out in two weeks so I will post if it's all good or not. Thank you guys.