Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
coop

slide out supports

I have a 21RBS Cougar Ulteralite and I noticed when we are not parked on pavement or a good gravel pad, after a while we get out of level towards the slide out side. I am thinking of putting support under the slideout to compensate for this.
Anyone have experiance with this?
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Javi

Bad idea.. slide wasn't meant to be supported from the bottom..
Old 07-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I'd put a board or levelers under the wheels on the slide side to compensate for the slide being out of level. As Javi mentioned, it's not a good idea to place supports under the slide. It is designed and built to withstand being extended without support and having some "flex" to it while extended is beneficial.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright
I could certainly see a problem if a tire went down. Maybe I'll just hold off on that purchase.
In addition to a tire deflation causing severe "upward pressure" on the slide mechanism, consider that this entire thread has been devoted to "shaking" and "movement" of the trailer frame, much of that from the tires/suspension moving up and down causing a "noticeable movement" inside the RV. If you install a rigid support under the slide to stop that movement, yet it continues along the RV chassis (to which the slide mechanism is welded), you are quite likely to cause stress to the slide tubes where they "bend" as the RV moves, while the slide is restricted from moving. That bending could lead to damaged slide extension rod mechanisms and cause a restricted/binding mechanism on slide movement.

In the "old days" when "tip-outs" first appeared in RV's, slide stabilizers and slide locks were a requirement. They were used to support the "tip-out" and formed the foundation to keep the "moving part of the RV" level. As the industry progressed to manual slides and crank out slides, a better "support system" was developed. Today's slides are well supported in the "out" position, but many are above the floor when in the travel position and those won't support weight until extended. Most Keystone slides have cautions to not walk on or sit on them when in the travel position.

As the industry progressed, the slide stabilizers were no longer needed, but in the "interest of self preservation" many of the stabilizer manufacturers just changed their "sales tactics" and started suggesting people use them to "support the new slides". In today's slides, there's really no benefit to using stabilizers under slides and if the RV moves (or shakes) more harm than good can come from using them.

I'd recommend using the money for something else, your RV is designed and engineered so it doesn't need slide stabilizers.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlwright
I could certainly see a problem if a tire went down. Maybe I'll just hold off on that purchase.
In addition to a tire deflation causing severe "upward pressure" on the slide mechanism, consider that this entire thread has been devoted to "shaking" and "movement" of the trailer frame, much of that from the tires/suspension moving up and down causing a "noticeable movement" inside the RV. If you install a rigid support under the slide to stop that movement, yet it continues along the RV chassis (to which the slide mechanism is welded), you are quite likely to cause stress to the slide tubes where they "bend" as the RV moves, while the slide is restricted from moving. That bending could lead to damaged slide extension rod mechanisms and cause a restricted/binding mechanism on slide movement.

In the "old days" when "tip-outs" first appeared in RV's, slide stabilizers and slide locks were a requirement. They were used to support the "tip-out" and formed the foundation to keep the "moving part of the RV" level. As the industry progressed to manual slides and crank out slides, a better "support system" was developed. Today's slides are well supported in the "out" position, but many are above the floor when in the travel position and those won't support weight until extended. Most Keystone slides have cautions to not walk on or sit on them when in the travel position.

As the industry progressed, the slide stabilizers were no longer needed, but in the "interest of self preservation" many of the stabilizer manufacturers just changed their "sales tactics" and started suggesting people use them to "support the new slides". In today's slides, there's really no benefit to using stabilizers under slides and if the RV moves (or shakes) more harm than good can come from using them.

I'd recommend using the money for something else, your RV is designed and engineered so it doesn't need slide stabilizers.
Sorry, but to keep the record correct, Jlwright didn't post that comment: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ppeared&page=2 (Post #16)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sorry, but to keep the record correct, Jlwright didn't post that comment: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ppeared&page=2 (Post #16)
Sorry I copied and pasted thanks for setting the record straight
Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Western Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
I have a 21RBS Cougar Ulteralite and I noticed when we are not parked on pavement or a good gravel pad, after a while we get out of level towards the slide out side. I am thinking of putting support under the slideout to compensate for this.
Anyone have experiance with this?
If it only happens off pavement or solid gravel how about putting something solid under the two left tires like a 2X6 plank.
I have a 21RBS and if I notice a lean to one side I back off the stabilizing jacks on the high side, take up on the low side then tighten up all around. Back to level. It recently happened during a few days of thunder storms while parked on a grassy hillside dry camping with the right side wheels on leveling boards and the left wheels on the grass. Figured we just compacted the wet ground.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
coop

Thanks for the info. I think I willpass on the slideout supports and try putting a board under the wheels when I park on grass.

thanks
coop is offline   Reply With Quote