Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
bill-e

Manual slide operation

Hi Folks,

My ignorant demo guy could not show me how to close the slide in case of a power failure and I didn't see anything obvious. ANyone know how to do it on a 2015 Cougar 26RBI?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Bowhunter

I don't have this model, but I have had two trailers with two different types of slides. My current travel trailer has cables slides where there are 4 cables on the 4 corners of the slide. This one is brought in manually using a drill with a flex extension that is inserted in a drive above the slide out ( the flex drive should have been provided.) My old slide did not have the cables and that was brought in manually by a mechanism under the opposite side of the trailer (between the tires). If you have an underbelly, you will need to cut a 3-sided access panel that you can tape shut when you are done. This setup is driven by a socket the same size as your jacks most often. Hope this helps!

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
jamesmc321

mine is under the camper..there is a motor with a 'rubber plug' on it, remove the plug insert cordless drill or jack handle, and turn away.. it starts to move in...
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
flint1962

I have a 25RET Cougar xlite and it is above the slide and brought in with a drill and the flex extension as previously mentioned
Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Wantoride

Had a real life issue with the battery dying and trying to figure out how to manually bring the slide in. My 23rb is not easy. The valance above the sofa must be removed and the bit/ drill extension given to me in the owners pamphlet draws the slid in a little at a t time on each side. I just pulled the truck up and ran jumper cables from the truck to the tt battery and got it in.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:34 AM   #6
IMASAP

Hopefully I'm not butting in here, but I asked the guy who did our walk through when we picked up our new Bullet. Not sure if he didn't know, but he told me all the info I need on manually retracting my slide was in my owners manual. I did look at the manual, but basically what the manual said was to go to Keystone.com or whatever the exact website is, and watch the videos?? Well, I did that and it was just a general video on several different methods depending on how your slide is operated, so not a lot of help.

On my bullet, it has the four cables on the corners. So the socket for the flex drive is above the slide , on the inside of the trailer ? And to access it I remove the trim from the top of the slide ?? Just trying to have an idea ahead of time so that I have some sort of clue before I may need it.

Thanks !
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
tommy_z

Mine has the BAL Accu-slide (cable system). I specifically asked how this was done during my PDI. It is done by inserting the flex bit into the motor on top of the slide. I was handed the flex bit and I took off the center valance cover to access the motor. Unless you are Stretch Armstrong it ain't happenin'. With the slide out you can reach it, but as the slide comes in, you progressively have to reach further and further until you finally cannot do it. This point is approximately 1/4 the way in for me.

I declare it impossible to do with that tool. Somebody please prove me wrong with a video (not the one by BAL done in an engineering model).
tommy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
skidooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
Hi Folks,

My ignorant demo guy could not show me how to close the slide in case of a power failure and I didn't see anything obvious. ANyone know how to do it on a 2015 Cougar 26RBI?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Stand inside looking at the slide, look at the top center trim piece, remove the two screws and the panel trim will pop off. There is the motor, attach the flex bit into a drill and into the motor and bring in the slide.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Grbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooxman View Post
Stand inside looking at the slide, look at the top center trim piece, remove the two screws and the panel trim will pop off. There is the motor, attach the flex bit into a drill and into the motor and bring in the slide.
26rbi trim is not removable as far as I can tell, no exposed screws.
Grbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
Clark

Thumbs down bal accuslide

the bal accuslide is a decent system, in my case I have a 2012 passport 2510 grand touring I have adjusted my cables 1 time and it was a pain reaching over the valance keystone told me to remove the valance I would have but it is very long and put in with staples they should have made the valance to pop on and off for servicing the cables and bringing the slide in manually but they did not do this if you want to bring the slide in with a drill you will need more than the flex tool you need about 5 or 6 feet of exstensions and do it from the side of slide out and you better have more than one battery for your drill it will take awhile.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
bill-e

First, no flex shaft in my packet from Keystone and second, the solid valance is attached by some other method than screws. Looks like it would have to be pried off.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
Javi

Quote:
First, no flex shaft in my packet from Keystone and second, the solid valance is attached by some other method than screws. Looks like it would have to be pried off.
Look right in the middle of the slide, most likely there is a raised inlay in the valance and it will have two furniture type plugs covering the screws.. behind that is the motor..

The Flex shaft most likely did come with the packet on the slide, but your dealer like mine (on my Passport) decided you didn't need it or that you really should pay extra for it.. As a note I called my dealer out on this very thing after I couldn't find mine.. He finally admitted that they take them and sell them... His response was... You'll never need it anyway... I bought one on the internet for a few dollars..
Old 07-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
bill-e

I'm thinking the TT's are made different than the 5th wheel as I do not have any screws. Looks like a nail or staple gun put it together.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 07-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
I'm thinking the TT's are made different than the 5th wheel as I do not have any screws. Looks like a nail or staple gun put it together.
My Passport was a TT.. Let me look at photos of your trailers interior and I'll see if I can figure it out for you.. hang on while I surf the net..
Old 07-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #15
Grbill

Bill, ther are vinyl covered buttons across the bottom of the valance, I'm thinking those pop out to reveal the screws. I've not pulled one out because I don't want to damage them, but that's my guess.

Every RV is built different, even from the same manufacturer so be sure to double check the advice you get before tearing something apart that isn't meant to be.
Grbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #16
bill-e

Agreed, I'm not going to worry about it anymore

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 06-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #17
Robear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint1962 View Post
I have a 25RET Cougar xlite and it is above the slide and brought in with a drill and the flex extension as previously mentioned
Hello, since this was an old post, not sure if you still have the 25RET. Could you please let me know the location of where to insert the drill/drive to manually power the slide?
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #18
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
Hello, since this was an old post, not sure if you still have the 25RET. Could you please let me know the location of where to insert the drill/drive to manually power the slide?
There are vinyl covered buttons along the top facia. Pop those off and you'ss see screws. Unscrew the screws along the entire length and remove the facia. The motor and a very short flex shaft is in the middle of the wall over the opening.

I have an RBI and the living room slide is huge and deeper than my arm is long. If the slide is stuck "IN" and given the small amount of headroom and the depth of the slide I have no idea how anyone can reach the motor let alone grab that flex shaft and get a drill on the motor and move the slide out so that you could replace the motor.

It seems to me that one would need a 3' long flex shaft in order to reach the motor.

I'd love to see a video

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 06-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
Here's a good video showing the operation. This slide still works so he can easily extend it to get at the cables...wont be so easy if it has to be done with the drill.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
Old 06-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #20
Robear

Hi Bill,
Looking at my slide , there are no vinyl buttons to remove, just one solid vinyl trim covering. I looked around on the internet and found a video showing underneath the trailer. There is insulation wrapped underneath with a cutout that needs to be removed to access the motor, which is then turned manually with a socket and ratchet. I looked under mine and there is a cutout in the insulation right inline with the forward track of the slide out, just like the video shows. I'm going to crawl under there and remove the cutout section and inspect what's under there when I'm feeling ambitious! I haven't had any problems with my slide, but I want to be ready if it does quit on me. FLINT1962 stated he had a 25RET and accessed the motor from the top of the slide, so I'm curious since I can't see anyway a motor could be up there.
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote