Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
B-O-B'03

Bullet Premier 22RBPR maiden voyage - thoughts and observations

We took it on an 1800 mile trip and after working through all the initial manufacturing issues, while still on the pad, we had a great time with very few problems.

Prior to leaving I had the camper setup on the parking pad, for a couple of weeks, testing every thing, including taking a shower in it.

One night a cold front came through so the next day I tried the furnace and it would not stay lit... turns out whoever cut the hole in the side wall, for the outdoor AC receptacle also cut through the drain pipe for the kitchen sink and the furnace got soaked while I was testing things.

I made a call to my dealer, who is 5+ hours away and they sent a new furnace controller to me, over night.

I fixed the plumbing issues, installed the new furnace controller and things were back on track plus while I had things torn up I added another AC outlet in the kitchen cabinet (and scored points with the DW).

Our first stop was Seminole Canyon State Park and when I started setting up I realized the front edges on Keystone shelves are just decorations, they are only stapled to the shelf board, not attached to the wood pieces screwed to the walls and if anything bounces on the shelf... like say the mini fridge in the outdoor kitchen or my little toiletry kit on the shelf next to the vanity... the staples will pull out of the front edge trim piece

I used metal "L" brackets and screws to put them back together and I think they will be fine now.

The only other issue we had was the length of the cable connecting the camper to the truck... it was just a little long and I noticed at a gas stop, when we were 250 miles from home, that it looked awfully close to the ground... a quick check reveled that it had indeed been even closer to the ground, until it wore through 6 of the 7 wires in the bundle (explains the drop in braking performance). there was a zip tie, holding the cable to one of the safety chains, but it was just loosely on there and the cable slipped through enough to drag.

I ordered a new cable from Amazon and got it installed, the shelves are repaired and we are leaving, for a week and a 1/2 in Colorado, on the 20th.

Today I received a check in the mail, from Rick's RV, in Ville Platte LA, for $150, to cover my time for repairing the drain and the furnace.

I had nothing but great things to say about how Rick's treated me, they sent me parts at no charge for the minor things I found, then the furnace issue and sending the part over night and topping it off by paying me for the labor to do the work... they are a great bunch, if you are looking for a dealer that is honest and seems to really care about their customers after the sale, talk to the folks at Ricks.

Happy Camping.

-Brian
Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
GaryWT

We love our Premier, it is a great trailer. We do loop our break away cable so it does not hit the ground and our plug in cable we have come up and over the frame to keep that from the ground. Nothing is connected to the chains.

Good luck with it and enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
chartrand

Where did you install the additional outlet? Any pictures, was a power source near by to connect to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
We love our Premier, it is a great trailer. We do loop our break away cable so it does not hit the ground and our plug in cable we have come up and over the frame to keep that from the ground. Nothing is connected to the chains.

Good luck with it and enjoy.
Yes, I am going to re-route things, the break-away cable is also looped to one of the safety chains, so I need to fix that too.

I am thinking of some of the rubber wrapped, screw in metal clamps for managing the the plug in cable.

We absolutely love the camper, it is just perfect for the 2 of us and a huge upgrade from the Starcraft popup we used to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Where did you install the additional outlet? Any pictures, was a power source near by to connect to?
I mounted it on the kitchen cabinet, in the entry way.

When you walk in the door there is a little cupboard door, on the left and the new outlet is in the panel section just past that.

I had the outdoor outlet out of the wall, to work on the kitchen drain pipe and it only had one piece of romex connected to it, so I hooked another piece of romex to the the open end of the outlet and ran it through the furnace compartment, the water heater compartment, across the kitchen cabinet, in front of the sink and around the corner to the side panel.

I used one of the blue "old work" boxes from Home Depot with the little tabs that turn out with screws to hold it in the wall and the outlet I bought also has 2 USB power outlets in it. By using the outdoor outlet as the power source it is protected by a GFIC, which is probably a good thing.

I did not take any pictures of the installation, unfortunately, but I might be able to take some now.

I need to figure out a picture hosting place, that is free, for this kind of thing... what do folks use for that?

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 05-13-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
chartrand

Thanks for the details... Imgur is who I use, it's easy, free and there is an app for it on your phone/iPad

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Thanks for the details... Imgur is who I use, it's easy, free and there is an app for it on your phone/iPad
Here is a picture of the outlet I added.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
GaryWT

The door you have in the picture, we have the same thing but we flipped it so it opens the other way and the knob is on the bottom. Makes it easier to get to it from the outside. Everything we store in there we use outside and it was a pain for us.

The plug looks good.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
The door you have in the picture, we have the same thing but we flipped it so it opens the other way and the knob is on the bottom. Makes it easier to get to it from the outside. Everything we store in there we use outside and it was a pain for us.

The plug looks good.
That is an interesting idea.

So, you just flipped the door and latch over to the opposite sides of the frame?

I will see how our usage of that space is, over time, there is not a lot of cabinetry in the 22 and right now we have cooking utensils in it.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
GaryWT

We keep our level, Dutch oven and supplies for it and our dog stuff, bowls, food etc. everything that is used outside so it works for us. We just removed the hind goes, flipped and lined up the latch.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:27 AM   #10
Cfoxtrot

Glad to hear you had a good trip and are getting the "kinks" worked out. Sounds like you have found a great dealer!

Although our trailer isn't new, it's new to us and looking forward to our maiden voyage next weekend!

2013 Bullet 281BHS
2016 F150 SCREW 5.0
Cfoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #11
koko

We just returned from a three-week trip. As usual, our trailer has not disappointed us. Like your idea about flipping the hinges - makes a lot of sense. We put all our snacks in there so that when we're outside or traveling and want something, we can just open the door and get it without going in. Reversing the door would make it even easier.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:34 AM   #12
johnnyringo

I've used Photobucket for several years. It's pretty good I think.
johnnyringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #13
1l243

Thought I would share the outlets mods I added to my 2016 19fbpr. I added one pretty much in the same place as BOB side cabinet as you come in the door. I also used the blue remodel boxes from Home Depot

Also one in the front of the cabinet above the drawers

The slide has no outlets so I added two their for computers and such

I came out of the slide with a short extention which plugs into a outlet I installed at the bottom of the TV cabinet. I tapped into the outlet for the TV for this outlet

I just have to remember to unplug before I bring the slide in. This made better since that having to drop the underbelly to run romex to the slide
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
B-O-B'03

Very nice.

It is unbelievable how stingy they are with outlets.

I added one, in the pantry, on the slide side, when I installed the progressive EMS.

It also has to USB power ports.

-Brian