Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
mbcik

Please help me stop agonizing over which TT to get

I am in the market for a TT and want to make sure I don't buy something too big for my TV. Here is my setup, thank you for your advice and opinions!!!

2014 Ford F-150 4x4 Crew Cab 157" WheelBase. 3.55 axle ratio.
According to Ford, max towing weight is 7,500. GCWR is 13,500.

For the RV I am drooling over the Bullet 247BHSWE. Base weight of that trailer is 4,745, GVWR 7,000. That is roughly 2,200 lbs of carrying capacity which seems like overkill.

I will not do much boondocking so I won't carry full tanks often.

My other option is a Coachmen Apex 193BHS, which is GVWR 4,600lbs.

mbcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
jtludwig

I think you'll be just fine with either of those trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Bowhunter

I would agree. I think that either trailer would be fine for your TV.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
GaryWT

I do not know much about the Coachman but I think you will really like the Bullet and your truck should be fine with it. Good luck
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
mbcik

Thanks everybody. I am hoping to make a decision this weekend, I appreciate everyones input!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
JoePK

Trailer choice

Hello,
I think you would be happier with the Bullet. my two cents for the day
Old 05-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Agonizing over buying a new camper? Say it ain't so!

A 1/2 ton's achilles heel is the payload. On your preferred setup it could be as well. Dry hitch weight for your trailer (Bullet) is 510. Add the propane, battery, hitch and stuff = approx. 725lbs. The GVW of the trailer is 7000. If you load so that you have a 12% (min) tongue weight you're looking at 840lbs which is where you want to be (min). If you're loaded lighter of course that will go down. If you don't carry full tanks (I never do) you will find it hard to load up 2280lbs of stuff into the trailer. We carry about 1100 lbs when traveling. It goes up when we stock up at our destination but that is what we travel with.....and we carry a lot of stuff. I do carry probably 300 lbs of stuff in the bed of my truck (covered and locked)

If the trailer weighs 4720 dry, add the 1100lbs of stuff and you're looking at 5820. You would be looking at about 700lbs tongue weight at 12%. The payload for your truck is 1455. If you take the 725 for tongue weight that leaves you 730lbs for people and "stuff" in the truck. That is doable (if you don''t have a lot of folks) but very close. You could easily exceed your payload if you really load up the trailer or the truck. You will have to be very careful of what you pack and where you pack it. It can be done...we've done it. When I was worried about tongue weight I would tow with a 1/2 tank of fresh water because the tank is mounted at the very rear of the trailer.

The GCVWR is 13500. The trailer, if maxed out is 7000 which leaves you 6500 for truck, people and stuff. Again, you will exceed this number if you load either the truck or the trailer heavily. With the trailer at max weight you have even less payload than was previously stated. Again, a tight line and all dependent on how and what you load.

The Apex will save you about 100lbs on hitch weight and about 1000 in overall weight giving you a larger margin for weights.

I would love to put you out of your misery but it will be a tough call and you will have to do it..... You would enjoy the Bullet more but it's not fun always trying to count pounds, shift loads and worry. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
notanlines

I suspect you have not been married long. This is how it works after, say, about 25 years or so.....buy the Bullet. You crave to have it, make it happen. About 90 days into the rig, tell sweet baby that she simply can't have ALL the "stuff" she wants to bring and explain then about that F-250 sitting at XYZ Ford, maybe even the 2500 just waiting for you next door at DEF Chevrolet.
See how that works? Let her drive it, too! That way you'll make to 43 years when sweet baby just looks at you and says "Just sign the darn papers and let's drive it home." (But let HER drive it home.....)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
mbcik

Thank you everyone for your input! I have learned so much by reading posts on this forum, I am very grateful to all who put time into posting helpful information on here.

I checked out the Bullet 247BHSWE with my wife+kids today and though we liked the interior, it's just not the right decision for us. We prefer to have something smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable. So my final decision is to go with the Apex 19'.

Now if the Apex dealer gives me a hard time or jerks me around, then I'll bail out and go get the Bullet. It's always good to have a backup option when working with salespeople!

Again thank you all for your insight and wisdom!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:05 AM   #10
notanlines

I might also add that after looking at a couple of both of these on the 'net I found that the bullet was more or less $9000 higher in price. Hmmmm....I'm gradually being pulled to your way of thinking.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
Agro

What about him also utilizing a WDH. That should help with tongue weight, but add about what.. 100lbs too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Agonizing over buying a new camper? Say it ain't so!

A 1/2 ton's achilles heel is the payload. On your preferred setup it could be as well. Dry hitch weight for your trailer (Bullet) is 510. Add the propane, battery, hitch and stuff = approx. 725lbs. The GVW of the trailer is 7000. If you load so that you have a 12% (min) tongue weight you're looking at 840lbs which is where you want to be (min). If you're loaded lighter of course that will go down. If you don't carry full tanks (I never do) you will find it hard to load up 2280lbs of stuff into the trailer. We carry about 1100 lbs when traveling. It goes up when we stock up at our destination but that is what we travel with.....and we carry a lot of stuff. I do carry probably 300 lbs of stuff in the bed of my truck (covered and locked)

If the trailer weighs 4720 dry, add the 1100lbs of stuff and you're looking at 5820. You would be looking at about 700lbs tongue weight at 12%. The payload for your truck is 1455. If you take the 725 for tongue weight that leaves you 730lbs for people and "stuff" in the truck. That is doable (if you don''t have a lot of folks) but very close. You could easily exceed your payload if you really load up the trailer or the truck. You will have to be very careful of what you pack and where you pack it. It can be done...we've done it. When I was worried about tongue weight I would tow with a 1/2 tank of fresh water because the tank is mounted at the very rear of the trailer.

The GCVWR is 13500. The trailer, if maxed out is 7000 which leaves you 6500 for truck, people and stuff. Again, you will exceed this number if you load either the truck or the trailer heavily. With the trailer at max weight you have even less payload than was previously stated. Again, a tight line and all dependent on how and what you load.

The Apex will save you about 100lbs on hitch weight and about 1000 in overall weight giving you a larger margin for weights.

I would love to put you out of your misery but it will be a tough call and you will have to do it..... You would enjoy the Bullet more but it's not fun always trying to count pounds, shift loads and worry. Good luck.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
mom2budnbug

Not sure if you have made a decision yet, but we would recommend the Bullet, especially if traveling with kids. We have a Bullet 230BH, which we love, but are now wishing we would have gone with the 248. The little amount of extra living space would be great. Whatever your choice, enjoy!

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
bsmith0404

I'm assuming this is your first trailer and have already made a decision on which is best for you. Now, go enjoy it.

Through some use, you'll learn more about what you do and don't like about it. What you must have, would like to have, and what you don't care about in your next trailer. If you're like most, it won't be long before you get a 3/4 tone truck, trailer number 2 (larger/nicer).

Even people who have been doing this for years are still finding little things we like/dislike about our particular units. My parents who have owned about 10 different 5th wheels once traded after one use. My mom didn't like the height of the cabinets. They took it back for some warranty work, she found a new model that had just came in and they made the trade.

Moral....don't sweat it, enjoy it while you have it. Your needs and likes will change before too long.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
bellsharbor

Love our Bullet! Go for it and have fun!!

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

35 Years of Boating on The Great Lakes
20 Years of Motor Homes in The West
Now a New Travel Trailer
Happy Travels Everyone!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
buzzcop63

When a half-ton makes since:
They are simply a great daily driver, large when in parking lots but they ride like a car! When you're on a budget or living on SS and you want to buy new then the lighter trailer and truck make economic since. If we wish to change to a larger and thus heaver trailer you will be back to changing trucks, if you add passengers and cargo that push the weights over the limit then you ride unsafe and want a heavier rated truck. If you have the funds and do not mind the harsher ride of the 3/4 or 1 ton then they will make a better tow vehicle. Heavy, long wheel base trucks are more sold platforms for towing. All decisions we each have to make. Some of the people on the forum really put the miles on their truck and trailers, for them the heavier truck is a better choice. More power is up for argument as the new half-ton trucks seem to have very powerful multi geared vehicles but they lack passenger and cargo capacity in weight. You match the truck to the trailer with a mind to what you will want in the future, how much you can afford to spend and how far you expect to tow and where. Last but not least, take your truck and trailer to the scales so you know the numbers and keep the speed down, trailer tires can bite fast drivers who load heavy.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #16
Nitka

Oh My! I can't believe how much like us this is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I suspect you have not been married long. This is how it works after, say, about 25 years or so.....buy the Bullet. You crave to have it, make it happen. About 90 days into the rig, tell sweet baby that she simply can't have ALL the "stuff" she wants to bring and explain then about that F-250 sitting at XYZ Ford, maybe even the 2500 just waiting for you next door at DEF Chevrolet.
See how that works? Let her drive it, too! That way you'll make to 43 years when sweet baby just looks at you and says "Just sign the darn papers and let's drive it home." (But let HER drive it home.....)
Okay, 20 year "Newlywed" here. We got the Cougar last March and the truck came along in May (two trips later)! I do love the truck though, it's just plain hot! And my advice to OP is pretty much the same, it took us four tries so far to find "Perfect for Us," but I think we've hit the jack pot! Had lots of fun years in smaller trailers leading up to it, but if I could have afforded this and towed this originally, probably would have saved lots of $$$.
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
Pull Toy

Buy the rig that suits you best, don't compromise. Don't wish you had! You only get one chance to get it right the first time! Instant replays cost $$$!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #18
notanlines

First off, Nitka the newlywed, congrat's on the 20. Takes a lot to make that 20 and I'll bet every member here that has made that mark will agree. Shoot, the ones that made 20 by adding two together will REALLY agree. Secondly, take a look at the balance between what you can afford and what you really like. I would hate to settle for a 1500 when I could have almost the same in a 2500 for about another $500. If the trailer that we badly want is just too high then keep looking. Even the looking is fun. Get on the net and search from one end of the state to the other. Somebody will want to get rid of theirs for a good price. There are lots of nice used TT's out there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle