Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #1
Jsdigger

Adding a window?

We have a 2014 251 bullet that has one window in the kitchenClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	7670 and to the right of the cook top there is not a window,the 2015 251 has 2 windows1 on either side of the cook top.my ? Is would it be a god idea to add a window(trekwood does show a replacement window) like the 2015 for more outside light.

2015 keystone bullet 251rbs
2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4
Jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
bsmith0404

IMO, no. There is more to it than just cutting a hole and adding the window. The side panels provide much of the structural integrity of the RV and is bonded to the frame walls. Cutting an opining requires framing around it. The aluminum framing has all windows and doors framed for each opening. This also provides attachment points for screws/anchors. If you decide to do it, I would find the wall studs and get a qualified welder to add the window framing. Not sure how you would attach the sidewall to the framing. I would worry about the corners ripping due to flex, similar to the problems experienced on the comet (first jet powered passenger aircraft, and the reason airplane windows are round).

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:28 AM   #3
GaryWT

I am not one to cut through the wall of the trailer but if you want the light and they make a window them why not. I guess it all depends how much time you are inside while camping.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

The windows are not secured to the walls. The flange on the inside squeezes the window together. Wiring would be my only concern, after that a frame of wood could be glued at the edges. The plastic radius pieces may be available to the general public so it's doable IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I don't see a problem with adding a window as long as there is no wiring in the wall .(as Chuck mentioned, but most comes down from ceiling or through cabinets) My concern would be the location of aluminum framing which may have changed in this years model with the window. I would not do the install if the frame had to be cut. JMHO. Just remember " Measure twice, cut once." ... maybe you might want to measure a few more times to play it safe.
If you do this mod be sure to take before and after and step by step photos to post so others can see your project. Somewhere in our archives one of our members has posted photos of a new window install for a bathroom .... if you search and find it the photos may help your decision. Good luck, Hank

Remember the mod is not done until you post photos.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
. Just remember " Measure twice, cut once." ...
If you do this mod be sure to take before and after and step by step photos to post so others can see your project. Good luck, Hank
Remember the mod is not done until you post photos.
I agree.. randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
gregrc75

One warm morning the exterior of the camper condensed like a cold soda can. It revealed all the framing so I took advantage and took photos all around incase I wanted to know where the framing is. In this photo you can see there is a stud just forward of the first window, another just aft of the outdoor shower cover and so on. Maybe if weather conditions are right you will notice this on your trailer. I was thinking of adding a window in my bathroom and this allowed me to avoid a big mistake since there is a stud right in the middle of where I wanted to put it.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Justvisiting2day

Windows and holes.

I used a "stud finder" to mark the area to cut out for my stove exaust fan,, NOT installed by the factory. Any hardware store carries these and are pretty darn close to the point.This is the second passport that I have done this to.
And I have deduced that all the wires are located in the ceiling or cabinet areas.
C
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
Jsdigger

Looking down the side of the trailer and can see several vertical framing shadows,not sure how if there are more than what I can see.i did not realize that just adding 1 window to a new year model could possibly change the way that whole side is framed.next time I'm at the time im at the trailer I will look into it alittle more before I decide if i should do the it or not.

2015 keystone bullet 251rbs
2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 double cab 4x4
Jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote