Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
JimQ

2011 F 150 Message Center Question

Hi to All: I just changed tow vehicles from a 2004 F 150 Lariat to a 2011 F 150 XLT equipped with a tow package. (26,000 miles in great shape, like new. ) I installed my Prodigy Brake #90185 from the old truck utilizing the new pigtail plug Ford provided me (along with two electrical add ons to the fuse box). Everything is working fine. All lights on the trailer are working and my Prodigy brake controller indicates it's connected and when I depress the truck's brake, the controller responds with the normal numbers in the display. I cant get to the correct screen on my message center to see the "Trailer Connected" message(if there is one) . I'm planning on taking a test ride Saturday. On the screen I have a number of choices which are confusing and the owners manual is of no use for this situation.
When I get to the "Change Active Trailer" screen , I have 3 choices to highlight and hit ok, 1. DEFAULT TRAILER when I depress OK it shows "accumalated miles 0 2. <NO ACTIVE TRAILER> when I depress OK it shows "Trailer Disconnected" 3. <NEW TRAILER> when I hit OK it shows a screen that you use to name the trailer.
Can one of you that have a 2011 F150 with the same message center help me? Am I suppose to get a Connected message or do I just go to the screen where I named my trailer and depart? If needed I will consult the Ford Dealer but thought someone might have the quick answer. Thanks Jim
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
GaryWT

Why do you need this message? If you can look and see the trailer is connected why do you need the message? I get a quick message on my truck but I have the factory controller. If you have numbers on your then you are good. When you are not connected you most likely don't have numbers. So again, what is needed.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
BirchyBoy

Maybe his controller isn't easily visible while driving, and he hopes his configurable display can help him?

Wish I had the answer for you but I don't :-(
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
HappyCamperMN

The "Trailer Connected" message is just a "pop-up" message that disappears after a short time (<1 minute) or when something else happens (emergency brake applied, door open, etc...). You'll also get a similar "Trailer Disconnected" message when that happens.

If I want to "test" whether or not everything is connected I use my (integrated) brake controller to apply the trailer brakes. The message center will either display a) trailer not connected or b) brake output level.

Does that help?

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
JimQ

Thanks for the replies. Happy Camper, my brake controller is not factory installed so adjustment and read outs are on the controller itself, not on the message center. At this point I think Gary is correct. Everything is working so I should be good to go! And yes, I can see my Prodigy controller with a quick glance while operating, no problem. I'll hook up Saturday for a local ride just to make sure everything is good prior to next weekend trip to Mystic.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The "trailer connected" and other messages seen on the "in dash display" on Fords is directly connected through the computer interface to the FACTORY brake control. It is not capable of reading or interfacing with any "add on" controller. The only readings you will get are from the Prodigy screen.

Even with the factory brake controller, a dealer service department has to connect it to the "shop computer system" and set the truck's computer to recognize and respond to the added factory brake controller.

It's not and to my knowledge has never been a "plug and play" system.

You might want to talk to your Ford dealer's service advisor and see if there have been any changes in the 2014 or 2015 computer updates to recognize an after market Prodigy, but to my knowledge, as far as your Ford truck's computer and dash interface are concerned, there's nothing there.

The two under hood devices are a relay and a fuse to connect the center pin "charge line" to the 7 way plug, without them, you don't get 12 VDC power to the center pin on the truck's 7 way and subsequently, no charging of the trailer battery. Those two underhood 'gadgets" have nothing to do with trailer braking.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
JimQ

Thanks John: That explains things crystal clear. Much Appreciated. Jim
Old 08-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
JimQ

I took the trailer out for a test ride yesterday with my new used F-150. It towed great. I didn't want any surprises when I leave next weekend. Everything worked great. I really like the Prodigy Brake as I am familiar with it from using it the last 2 years. I mounted it under the dash to the left side of the brake pedal. Not in the way at all. Thanks for your replies. Jim