Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Shogunles

Power Issues with my Premier 31BHPR

Hello all. This is the third time I am using my Premier, so we are still working out the bugs. However, one issue has me really confused. I am currently camping down in Disney, Ft. Wilderness, and my 30 Amp Breaker keeps tripping.

And it is the oddest thing. When I am running 2 TV's, ceiling lights in one room, and the A/C on low, all is usually well. It only shut off once with this load. It is when I leave the trailer for the day with only the range hood light and the A/C on low, I come back to a hot trailer and the 30 Amp Breaker tripped in the trailer. I had the staff test the 30 Amp Service which revealed no issues. So, needless to say, I am scratching my head on this one. Could I have a bad converter? Anyone else experience this problem? Any input or opinions would be a big help. Thanks! Be well!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You may also have other "stuff" running in the background. If you have your water heater on electric mode, that will eat up a portion of the 30A when it starts to reheat the water. The converter and the fridge (if on electricity), will also take a share of it. Try turning off the HW heater and see if it makes any difference. If not, get back to us again.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
zenbuck

It does sound like an issue.... I can run all of that and more and not have a breaker trip...

2014 Premier 31 BHPR
2011 Silverado 1500
zenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

At high use times (peak) the voltage at the CG service will drop and this will not show when they test it later on.(and they know it) Lower voltage increases amp draw. As Festus2 said, try turning off electric water heater when using A/C. Also running A/C on low fan can cause it to ice up and trip out. When not there leave the fan on high, it has minimal effect on electrical usage since it will run less.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
dougjoliefrey

It's also possible you have a bad breaker in the trailer. CB's get weaker with each trip on a normal basis and but since you have a new trailer this should not be the case. However there are always a certain percentage of rejects in any lot so it could be just a weak breaker that is tripping well below the rating.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
GaryWT

Is it the breaker in your trailer or at the post? I find that with AC, fridge and water heater all on electric I sometimes pop the post breaker. Needs to be hot and a busy campground. I generally put the water heater on gas and everything else is fine. Many places I have no issues. Good luck I hope it all works out.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Bob Landry

I think the CG voltage is dropping during the day because of heavy use. We ARE talking about Florida here. If you turn the water heater off in the AM , you will still have hot water when you return in the evening. Turn the WH on propane and you should get a quick recovery for hot water.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Shogunles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
You may also have other "stuff" running in the background. If you have your water heater on electric mode, that will eat up a portion of the 30A when it starts to reheat the water. The converter and the fridge (if on electricity), will also take a share of it. Try turning off the HW heater and see if it makes any difference. If not, get back to us again.
I typically turn the hot water on LP in the morning when we shower and then shut it off for the day. To answer your question the only other electric we have running are both fridges, and the range hood light. My awning lights I plug directly into the power stem. Now that some other members have made mention of it, I do believe this all happens on the weekends when the park is filled. It has not happened during the week. I have been very cautious with power usage and since my post, it has not tripped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbuck View Post
It does sound like an issue.... I can run all of that and more and not have a breaker trip...
I usually do not have an issue in the Northeast, where we camp most often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
At high use times (peak) the voltage at the CG service will drop and this will not show when they test it later on.(and they know it) Lower voltage increases amp draw. As Festus2 said, try turning off electric water heater when using A/C. Also running A/C on low fan can cause it to ice up and trip out. When not there leave the fan on high, it has minimal effect on electrical usage since it will run less.
Yes I always run the A/C on low. At night I put it into auto. Water heater is on LP in the morning and when we need it.. And I agree with you. It must have to do with the high power usage in the park. This TT is new for us, only third time out. Only have a trip to PA in the fall to compare it to. And we did not use the A/C, but did use the furnace. And it was not an issue then during high capacity in the park. Thank you for your thoughts and advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjoliefrey View Post
It's also possible you have a bad breaker in the trailer. CB's get weaker with each trip on a normal basis and but since you have a new trailer this should not be the case. However there are always a certain percentage of rejects in any lot so it could be just a weak breaker that is tripping well below the rating.
I have to bring it in because my outdoor speakers stopped working. They were working fine when I dewinterized it. So I will have them check the breakers. Not a good time to have issues. The dealer is jammed up! And I have until September to have it taken care of under the factory warranty. Just a PITA! Thank you for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Is it the breaker in your trailer or at the post? I find that with AC, fridge and water heater all on electric I sometimes pop the post breaker. Needs to be hot and a busy campground. I generally put the water heater on gas and everything else is fine. Many places I have no issues. Good luck I hope it all works out.
One time in about twelve it tripped at the post. The rest was in the panel. Now that you and a few others have made mention, I do believe it is the high capacity of the park. We have been here for over 2 weeks. And thinking back, it happened on the weekends when it was busy. It clears out here pretty good during the week. And the maintenance people checked the power stem during the week. So all was good. Plus, it was in the 90's all of last week. Needless to say the A/C was constantly running! Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I think the CG voltage is dropping during the day because of heavy use. We ARE talking about Florida here. If you turn the water heater off in the AM , you will still have hot water when you return in the evening. Turn the WH on propane and you should get a quick recovery for hot water.
That is what I typically do with the water heater. And I agree about the heavy usage. Thank you for the advice.

I have the Premier 31 BHPR, complete with 3 TV's, 2 fridges, and many lights and outlets. And all of the other appliances that complete a typical TT. I wish they offered an option to upgrade this unit in 50 Amp. And perhaps a second A/C unit for the rear of the unit. We had some 90* plus nights here. The A/C took the edge off, but we were not completely comfortable. We are rarely in it during the day, so that is not an issue. You,can get to 30 Amps real quick if not careful. Especially if the A/C is running all day!

Thank you for all of the help, suggestions and advice fellas! I is a big help and much appreciated. Be well!