Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Shogunles

Anyone Install Ultra-Fab Accessory Adapter???

Hello all. I just want to get some feedback on a hitch receiver I just purchased for my Bullet Premier 31 BHPR. It is a Ultra-Fab Accessory Adapter. Refer to the link for pictures. It is a standard 2"x2" receiver with a 350lb. tongue weight. Only using this for a bicycle carrier. And this is the only option I have found for us Premier Owners for a rear hitch receiver.

It is a welded on application directly to the frame. I have yet to have it installed. And I bought it for $92.00, with free shipping if you spend over $100, from Rualking.com. Compared to $160. at Camping World.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had installed this. Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks for reading. Be well!

http://www.ruralking.com/accessory-a...FYMcOgodQQEAKg
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Hercules1978

I don't have it, but personally, I wouldn't want anything hanging of the back of my trailer where I can't see it. Inside the trailer or the back of the truck for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It looks like a "weld only" version of the Curt RV hitch. According to the installation instructions, the only weld attachment points are two small plates on each end of the square telescoping tubing. Most RV bumpers are mounted on extensions that are welded to the RV frame rails. Those extensions on most RV's are light gage metal, very similar in thickness to the bumper and wouldn't be very strong to support a hitch. So, to mount it, it looks like you'd need to weld it to the I-beam rails about 18" in front of the bumper and add some sort of extension out to where it would clear the bumper. Looking at the installation and owner's manuals, it doesn't look like it would be a "weld it up" without some possibly extensive modifications and it isn't a bolt on system.

This one would have to be modified, so the welding/modificaitons plus the cost of the hitch would probably be as much or maybe even more than just having a custom hitch installed. If it were me, I think I'd just as soon let a professional welding shop fabricate something that fits my RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I've got the same thing setting in my garage that I need to weld up. My camper has the bumper welded directly to the frame and I have a camera on the back so I can monitor it's behavior. I'll let you know how it works out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
GaryWT

Bikes go in the truck. The only thing I have on the back of the 31bhpr is the tire. Should be fine but if you get more sway, the weight on the back could be the cause but probably won't make a difference.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Shogunles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules1978 View Post
I don't have it, but personally, I wouldn't want anything hanging of the back of my trailer where I can't see it. Inside the trailer or the back of the truck for me.
I have a camera on the back of the TT that O constantly monitor. So this is not too much of a concern for me. Thanks.
Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It looks like a "weld only" version of the Curt RV hitch. According to the installation instructions, the only weld attachment points are two small plates on each end of the square telescoping tubing. Most RV bumpers are mounted on extensions that are welded to the RV frame rails. Those extensions on most RV's are light gage metal, very similar in thickness to the bumper and wouldn't be very strong to support a hitch. So, to mount it, it looks like you'd need to weld it to the I-beam rails about 18" in front of the bumper and add some sort of extension out to where it would clear the bumper. Looking at the installation and owner's manuals, it doesn't look like it would be a "weld it up" without some possibly extensive modifications and it isn't a bolt on system.

This one would have to be modified, so the welding/modificaitons plus the cost of the hitch would probably be as much or maybe even more than just having a custom hitch installed. If it were me, I think I'd just as soon let a professional welding shop fabricate something that fits my RV.
That is my plan. To weld it to the I-beam frame rails on either side. And to fab an attachment to the plates and beef it up where needed. I would never weld it to the bumper extensions. They would tear from the frame with the slightest amount of weight. And probably not from the welds either! I am still scratching my head on how to go about welding it to the frame. When I do I will post it. I figured for $92 bucks, I already have the receiver. I just need to fab it some. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've got the same thing setting in my garage that I need to weld up. My camper has the bumper welded directly to the frame and I have a camera on the back so I can monitor it's behavior. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thank, I will do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Bikes go in the truck. The only thing I have on the back of the 31bhpr is the tire. Should be fine but if you get more sway, the weight on the back could be the cause but probably won't make a difference.
I would have to weigh the bikes and carrier. However, there is more weight exerted because it extends away from the receiver. So it is more than just the weight of the bikes and carrier. There is an equation to measure this, but it escapes me at the moment. But that is a good point you bring up.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Shogunles

So I brought the hitch to a well renowned welder last week. He said that I would be taking a big risk welding this on my Premier. Being that there is a frame extension welded onto the frame which it about 1.5'. It would hold with some modifications. However the real problem is the piece of flat metal the is welded to the frame and extends upward I to the fiberglass of the TT. With all of the bouncing that the bikes would make, it could crack the entire rear exterior wall of the TT. So I think I will leave well enough alone and carry the bikes inside the trailer.

So my next question is;
Does anyone want to buy an Ultra Fab Accessory Hitch Adapter??? LOL!!!