Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
gt350jack

Raptor RP3512 Fuel Tank Question

Hello Fellow owners,
I recently purchased an RP3512 and the first question that has arisen is where to put the fuel for the generator. There is a cap marked "unleaded only" near the left rear of the trailer. The gauge next to the generator starter switch says empty.
I put five gallons in the tank and got no movement on the gauge and the generator only runs for a few minutes when primed.
Is there is separate tank for the generator and the fuel station or are they combined.
Thanking you in advance,

Jack
gt350jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I could find any info/pictures on your rp3512 other than it is a 2005 model. Mine has two 30 gallon tanks both being filled from the roadside rear. One tank feeds the generator only and the other used for the fuel station. I noticed some of the newer keystone rigs have a fuel station and share a 30 gallon tank with the generator. Not sure size tank on your Raptor but I would think the 5 gallons you say you added should at least register on the gauge in the control panel and be enough to keep generator running. May be a faulty gauge and/or a fuel problem on the generator.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
Bombfixer

I also have two 30 gal tanks on my 2013 Raptor. The one was the nozzle attached is the auxiliary tank. The other one is for the generator. 5 gal of gas in the generator tank moves the control panel gauge to just below 1/4. Can you trace the fuel lines from the generator?

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
gt350jack

Tracing the lines from the genny was my first thought. I am a mechanic by trade. However, I ran into this issue during the first rain in Northern Cal in a long time. As excited as I was about the new trailer and working out the bugs, it was too wet to wander underneath for a look see. I will report back what I find.
Cheers,
Jack
Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
abneynormal

2011 3912 has

one 30 gallon fuel tank. run some startron in er and fill er up. I cycle my fillin station every 2 month to keep it working. note is your generator up hill? if so level your th. it is also a must for running the fridge. I keep the fuel tank full to use in emergencies. tractor etc then fill it up in the spring for your next run.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
gt350jack

I found the problem and it was NOT what I was expecting. There is only one fuel tank for the generator and the fuel station. It appears to be approx 40 gallons.
I was examining the air filter and the linkages on the carburetor. I noticed that someone had removed one of the linkage rods from the speed governor. When it was re installed, they missed getting the end of the rod, (the little L shaped part) correctly into the hole of the lever. This effectively limited the engine to a very low RPM. After the minute or so of initial warm up, the engine would go under load. The load was too great for the engine speed, so the unit would shut down. This is no doubt a safety precaution so as not to damage any electrical systems. When I reset the rod properly I picked up full RPM's and all is well.
It did help to be a small engine mechanic for 14 years before going into automotive repairs.
Thanks for all the input from everyone. I have learned to look at all possibilities, no matter how obscure they may seem.

Jack
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
crash

Our Raptor has 2, 30 gallon tanks to.Glad you found out what was wrong w/ your unit and it was a simple fix
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Post Fuel Gauge Working?

Just curious, what was the issue with the fuel gauge not registering??

Glad to see you got it fixed!!

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
gt350jack

I intend to bring it to my shop for a thorough inspection and I will check the fuel gauge at that time. That was more than what I wanted to get involved with at home. I will report my findings there as well.

Jack
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
abneynormal

remember

don't trust the keystone fuel gage. its not that accurate. close but about horseshoe and hand grenade close. when I genny it I carry jugs.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Katana

Yes, please update us to your find about the fuel gauge problem. I've got the same issue with mine.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Yes, please update us to your find about the fuel gauge problem. I've got the same issue with mine.
OP has not updated status, however we did have a member with a 2014 Raptor who has been expierencing his fuel gauge indicating zero at times then reading okay again. As far as I know still not resolved. Does your gauge read anything or just always DEAD?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #13
rnkburg

I don't know if this will help, but on my raptor the accesory tank had an issue and the gauge was all over the place. Then the tank started popping. After many long tries at the dealer we found that the vent cap was not taken off of the tank when installed. The hoses were there but doing nothing. Once removed all went back to normal. This may be way off base but just in case hope it helps

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
I don't know if this will help, but on my raptor the accesory tank had an issue and the gauge was all over the place. Then the tank started popping. After many long tries at the dealer we found that the vent cap was not taken off of the tank when installed. The hoses were there but doing nothing. Once removed all went back to normal. This may be way off base but just in case hope it helps

Excuse me but not quite following you, what model/year Raptor do you have? Most of us have only one fuel gauge inside on the control panel regardless of the number of fuel tanks on board. Gauge usually connected to generator tank. Thought your reference was to an accessory TANK? not sure what hoses you were referring to?

Thanks for your input

Maybe other Raptor people will chime in

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
rnkburg

I have the 2012 raptor 300mp it has 2 30 gallon tanks on it, one for gen, and one for fuel station. I have a gauge inside on the panel for the gen, and a gauge outside next to the switch for the fuel station tank.

There is a vent hose on each tank that connects in to the fill. There is a plug on the metal tank that is installed from tank mfg for transport. This plug was not removed. If it helps picture a fuel transfer tank from tractor supply, when you pick it up there is a plastic plug screwed in so nothing gets in tank. You remove the plugs to install the pump and the fill. That one little plug on the vent was left on causing it not to vent and pressurized the tank causing a loud popping like s gun going off. You could unscrew the fuel cap and pressure would release. I didn't notice until it got hot outside and had fuel in the accessory tank. Generator tank was fine.

Hope this helps

rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
OP has not updated status, however we did have a member with a 2014 Raptor who has been expierencing his fuel gauge indicating zero at times then reading okay again. As far as I know still not resolved. Does your gauge read anything or just always DEAD?
As far as I can tell it is always pinned to "E" but I've only owned the trailer since the 22nd but I will keep an eye on it.

On that note, how big is the fuel station on the 2008 Raptor 3812?? I've been looking for a PDF file on it's specs but my Google-Fu hasn't been strong when looking for it...
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
As far as I can tell it is always pinned to "E" but I've only owned the trailer since the 22nd but I will keep an eye on it.

On that note, how big is the fuel station on the 2008 Raptor 3812?? I've been looking for a PDF file on it's specs but my Google-Fu hasn't been strong when looking for it...
Looking at pictures on the Internet appears to me the 2008 Raptor 3812 has a single tank sharred by the generator and the fuel station rather than 2 30 gal tanks, one for generator and the other for throw fuel station. Thought one post stated thesingle tank size was around 40 gallons

Interesting you also used the word like another Raptor owner "Pinn. Ped" to E rather than indicating E. I guess I may have a hangup with this term Pinned to me says the meter pointer is being forced against the left stop of the meter. The only way I know a pointer would be pinned in its opposite direct isto reverse the current through the m[PHP][/PHP]eter? ???

Although I do not have this ptoblem its really bugging me. Do a search on gauge you you can read my comments and others on a similar gauge issue. Would like to see drawing o
n the fuel gauge circuit, assume simple (tank rheostate)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #18
abneynormal

dang you are getting so literal

the onans love the gas mine will last 2 days on 30 gallons and my 3912 only has 1 tank. im guessing that's why the fuel gage appears to be pinned to e that or the sender is malfunctioning. when I generator it at bike rallys I carry 2-3 gas jugs with me. as for using the fuel station I primarily use it for cycling fuel additive in the system.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
the onans love the gas mine will last 2 days on 30 gallons and my 3912 only has 1 tank. im guessing that's why the fuel gage appears to be pinned to e that or the sender is malfunctioning. when I generator it at bike rallys I carry 2-3 gas jugs with me. as for using the fuel station I primarily use it for cycling fuel additive in the system.
abneynormal; if I recall you had supplied a simplified diagram of a fuel gauge. Basically a power source (12VDC), Float driven variable resistance, and a current meter (gauge) all connected in series. Polarity is such that as current is applied pointer moves to the right (F) lower current moves to left (E). Float level changes varying total resistance thereby varying current through the meter (deflection) Normal operation.

The lack of current or low current (LESS) will cause the point to return to its normal non energized position (E). Pinned to me means pointer is driven in the opposite direction against the stop versus returning to its normal position. With our simplified circuit example polarity would have to be reversed, similar to someone connecting say a DC meter in reverse pinning meter to the left at Zero. Cannot imagine that happening intermittently (polarity changes), ie meter reading normal then pointer pinned on Empty stop and then back to normal.

Does anyone know if there may be some form of electronic device driving the meter rather that the simple circuit identified?? which if faulty or say improper ground would "DRIVE" to meter in opposite direction. Key word here is PINNED to empty versus returning normally to the empty position.

Has anyone looked at the back or near the meter to see if there were any electronics there.? I know Blah Blah ...........
For you members nearing retirement here is an example of what to expect

Really bugging me !! Searched internet and found on some think Buick cars gas gauge pointers were driven past the Empty stop and had to be taken apart to reposition the pointer to the other side, others used a magnet to move pointer to other side of stop. Not much detail given as to, the cause other than it was noted after low battery or neg terminal removed from battery. Must be some electronic burping up??

Anyone want to practice retirement

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
Katana

When I say "pinned" I mean that the needle is all the way to te left, past the "E" marker. Which to me means it's really empty or the sending unit/gauge or whatever is not working.

So today was a day off for me so I went to investigate my issue. I went to the gas station and got 2-25 liter fuel cans filled (10 gallons to you all south of the border So I dump in the gas and go check the gauge and see that it does work, kinda. Not knowing how much was in there before but now it is saying that it's 3/4 full. So not really know where to go with this now but we will see after filling it up on the first outing.

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk