Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
michelangelu

Exclamation Please help with the decision on the Cougar 28rbs purchase

Hi all! We are first time buyers and we fell in love with this trailer! Any advise on quality and reliability will be much appreciate! Should we look for some other brands??? Thank you so much!!!
michelangelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
buzzcop63

We have two Cougar 27RKSWE Travel Trailers in our family, both of them purchased in 2012. Wife and I are very pleased with our trailer and have had few problems with the unit as has my wife's sister with her trailer. We have found the Cougar offers many features; they also sell the most Travel Trailers and 5th wheels.
To be happy with the unit make sure you match up the Trailer with a tow vehicle that meets all the weight requirements of the trailer. You should be very happy with your new trailer and really enjoy your travels if mated with the proper tow vehicle.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Western Traveler

As mentioned above do your homework here on this site to help determine that your tow vehicle is within the weight specs of the trailer. There are many factors to consider. When we start adding passengers, gear, food, propane, fresh water etc it adds up quickly.

Remember the salesmen will nearly always tell you "sure no problem" and not knowing what you plan to use as a TV we can't help.

Our 1/2 ton F150 was within weight limits but was a poor match to tow our
1/2 ton series trailer.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
theasphaltrv'er

Morning ... We on our second Cougar, 1st was an 07 294RLS TT and just brought home a 26SAB 5er. The 07 Cougar went to the shop only once and it was for the recall on the fridge. Sure there was some routine maintenance as is with all trailers but nothing I couldn't handle. This new one so far looks to be well put together but only time will tell. We pull with a 13 XLT HD Ecoboost.
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
ohiocougar

We have used our 28RBS for two seasons and I am still very happy with it. We had two problems that were handled under warranty. The caulk was cracked on the top of the roof and there was a crack on the back panel. My dealer came to our campsite and repaired the roof. The TT had to go to the dealer for the back panel replacement. Since the problems were found before any damage I don't consider it a major issue. Overall we are very happy with this TT, it works great for our family of four. Good Luck
ohiocougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
coop

We have a 21RBS and love it, its our third TT and this one is the best so far. The only thing I could add to the rest is go back and look at it a couple of times. The first time you look at it you are in awe of all the cool features, the second and maybe the third time you start to notice the details you missed before.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
LABSRUS

Smile

Hi, we don't own a Cougar but we think it's a great product!
Great looking floor plan on that model.
I agree that you need to have the correct tow vehicle and then you'll be happy campers!

Enjoy your new camper!

Julie & Scott and our 2 Chocolate labs - Hailey & Harley
2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost crew cab short box with cap
2014 Springdale 311REGL - Seasonal campers
2008 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
LABSRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
michelangelu

Thank you so much everybody! This makes me feel way better! My wife just fell in love with this one , and I cannot say that I wosn't impressed! Is got so many features and a great floor plan! My TV is a Ram 1500 2012 Hemi ! Thank you again for help!
michelangelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Steve S

I bought a 2010 25 cougar and I have nothing to say but good things about it. The fit and finish is very nice, and there's so many little things that attention was kept in mind while it was in design mode.
I looked at about a hundred trailers and it boiled down to three cougars.
One thing to keep in mind that the polar package, arctic package and other names are just gimmicks!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
sibwolf

We own a 2013 28RBS. I would say we are happy, but would say we would likely have been happy with any other unit. it's a decent RV. Had some delamination problems, replaced under warranty. Same with friends that bought same unit on same day. Somewhat surprised by the lack of quality workmanship but think this is on par for the price paid. We liked the layout and the features and in the end the price.

You won't be disappointed but be prepared for some minor repairs. It's not a Whistler condo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sibwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelangelu View Post
Thank you so much everybody! This makes me feel way better! My wife just fell in love with this one , and I cannot say that I wosn't impressed! Is got so many features and a great floor plan! My TV is a Ram 1500 2012 Hemi ! Thank you again for help!

I have a 2013 ram 1500 and I recommend you take a close look at the payload capacity sticker on the driver door jam. Ram has the lowest payload of all the big trucks. I found this harsh reality out when I was going to look at trailers. I weighed my truck at a cat scale with full tank of gas, wife and 3 and 6 year old....we only had 420lbs payload left. Need less to say we didn't get the trailer and I am trading it in on a 2014 3500 cummins here in a month or so. That is a nice trailer, but based on my experience with my ram, it is too much trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
bellsharbor

After coming out of 6 motorhomes--we are wintering in Arizona in our new Keystone Bullet. All is working well and we feel it is the best "bang for your buck" of all the trailers we had looked at. We would have purchased the Cougar but couldn't find the right deal. The fit and finish in the Bullet is very close. Good luck with your new rig!! Happy travels!

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

35 Years of Boating on The Great Lakes
20 Years of Motor Homes in The West
Now a New Travel Trailer
Happy Travels Everyone!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #13
davidjsimons

I too own a 28RBS and have not experienced the first issue with it. I've owned it just over one year, but I've put over 12,000 miles on it and spent over 70 nights in it thus far, and no issues to report. The biggest concern when buying this unit is the hefty tongue weight. I believe that it tips in at 955 lbs dry, something to give careful consideration to with respect to your trucks payload capacity.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
dschamp

We love our 2013 28RBS. Works out great with our four grandkids. Gets a little tight with parents and grandkids, but we've managed without disaster!

It does have one of the heaviest tongues weights in its class, but our F-150 has handled it with no problems. The EcoBoost has plenty of power. Not surprising that it pulls better with the black water tank 1/2 full and the freshwater tank empty.

Good luck with your decision.
Firestone bags
dschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
dm1401

I pull our cougar 28RBS with our 1 tonne, and it pushes down on the rear pretty hard, without the weight distribute bars The rear sits about 1.5" from my over load springs with a full tank of water, when I went over the scales my GCVW was 16,500lbs (With my wife's Yamaha bruin quad in the back), I am not sure of my trucks empty weight but I think its 7500-8000lbs. I do run with the bars though. Long way of saying very tongue heavy.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #16
Katt

We have a 2012 RBS and we really like the trailer's layout for our family. I did overlook the 937lb tongue weight when we purchased it. I have a 2004 F150 crew cab with 5.4L and 373 gears. The truck pulls good but I put a set of firestone airbags on so I wouldn't have to put so much pressure on my Equalizer WD hitch to keep it leveled out (the air bags don't allow for more weight). I don't think I would try to go on long distant trips with a half ton TV pulling this trailer, I stay pretty close to home. My next TV will probably be a 3/4T just don't know if it will be gas or diesel. By the way I did weigh the tongue weight on a truck scale and it was over 937lbs with my items stored towards the back and the water tank empty!
Prodigy 3 Brake Controller
Firestone Air Ride and Compressor
Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
All4eyes

Went from a 2005 1500 Ram Hemi with 3.55 gears to a 2012 f150 5.0 with 3.73 gears, pulling a 2009 couger xlite 26bhs. I use weight distribution bars on both. Dodge I had to add Monroe overload shocks, and the ford was left stock. Both trucks handled the load in power, but the Dodge lacked in the suspension real bad. The ford handles it much better stock then the dodge did, stock. After the overload shocks were added it is a horse apiece. Newer Dodges with the coil suspension are really lacking, airbags are a must. To many soccer moms buying trucks as grocery getters. As far as power these trucks are about the same in hp and torque. The nod is going to the ford. Yes it shifts more, but I don't really notice unless I watch the tach. I think the hemi with the 6 or new 8 speed would do better, but am impressed with that little 5.0. As far as loading the camper I find if I pull it to the lake with fresh water full I am fine, way home I like to dump everything, why pull all the extra weight when I don't need to.
All4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #18
hckyplyr72

We love the quality of our 2012 24RLS. Nicer than our last Forest River.
hckyplyr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
jayjay_24

Just wondering how you made out? Did you buy the 28RBS? Do you like it? How is your TV making out. We too like the floor plan and trailer but I am worried about the weights. I have a 2010 Chevy with the 5.3L and 3.42 grears with the HD trailer package. But it might just seem a little too much for a 1/2 ton.
jayjay_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

jayjay 24,

michelangelu, the OP, has posted two comments, both in this thread and both on 2-7-14. Since signing off on that day, he has not returned to the forum, so you probably won't get a response from him on how he likes his trailer and/or how his truck tows.

There are a number of other people who may be able to give you some advice and personal experience with the trailer and/or with your tow vehicle. I'd suggest you start a new thread and ask the questions that concern you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote