Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Maxzd

2014 Cougar 326srx Revealed

Lots of talk that the 2013 was the last year for the 325srx, and it wasn't known if that was the end of the SRX lineup or would result in a new model. Well, the subject line tells it all. The 2014 looks like its now hitting RV dealers across North America.

As a Cougar 325srx owner i was extremely curious if keystone had improved the unit enough to consider upgrading. So here's my comparison since reviewing specs, pictures and video of the new 2014 326srx versus the 325srx model.

- The 326srx is 37' 7" which is 1 foot and 1 inch longer than the 325srx.
- weighs more, 9595 versus 9317. Hitch 2160 versus 1800, Carrying Capacity 2965 versus 2883.
- The Garage is now a 10 foot garage versus a partial 10 foot garage in the 325srx.
- The Garage has two fold up beds/couches along the walls.
- The Garage has two overhead cabinets, two doors on each with netting for cargo.
- The Garage is now has plumbing for a washer and dryer.
- The Garage has a new coat rack.
- The Garage Entry door is a privacy glass full size door (no air gap at bottom) and opens straight into living room kitchen area.
- The Garage now a heat vent which appears to be from the fireplace, but could be from furnace.
- Loft is no longer L shaped, is now 42"x92" area
- Gone is couch and table/banket combo. Large couch with pullout bed, believe only option. Has removable table in front of couch.
- fireplace (believe electric) is now on garage wall kitchen side.
- Kitchen redesigned sink, stove, microwave, fridge, cabinets all new config.
- Different stereo manufacturer not Jensen.
- fuse panel now located on main wall between living room and bathroom.
- slides are now both on same side. Main and wardrobe. Main slide might be larger than previous.
- new cabinet where previous entertainment Center was.
- TV now on kitchen side over fireplace on garage wall.
- bathroom redesigned, shower same spot, toilet where cabinet was on angle, sink where toilet was previously.
- privacy sliding door now closes into wardrobe slide. One cabinet accessible in bathroom.
- hallway to bedroom appears longer.
- bedroom has nightstand on right side, removed one closet.
- plumbing in basement storage configured differently with toilet moved.
- kitchen window in different spot with new config.
- New outside hatch with TV and bar fridge accessible. Behind fireplace.
- new graphics colours similar. Front cap appears different design with more LED lights.
- wall switches appear different, light fixtures seem to be a new manufacturer.

WHAT I LIKE
- the garage. Full 10 feet is awesome, I like the fold up beds.
- the fireplace in new location, especially if it keeps garage warm with that new vent.
- improved door and access to and from garage.
- TV outside, in new hatch. Yah, I dig it. The bar fridge, well I guess its ok wish there was such a thing as a propane bar fridge.
- slides on both sides. Easier to park and setup.
- I prefer the bigger couch (but my wife hates lack of permanent eating table.)

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
- the kitchen is no better. No counter space and two drawers at your feet? Where do the forks and knives go.
- seems like less kitchen cabinet space versus current design.
- the cabinets where the entertainment Center was. Build a proper pantry floor to ceiling. These cabinets serve no purpose IMHO.
- not sure about the wardrobe slide and the bathroom sliding door. Looks Mickey Mouse to me, need to see in person.
- removal of closet on right side of master bed hate it. These both should stay and be redesigned with one drawer and small nightstand.
- Still no overhead cabinet over master bed. Why, seems simple and good storage for blankets etc.
- basement storage the plumbing is now in the way and would there carry less versus my 325srx because of config.
- Fuse Panel location might make for tough solar panel and inverter connection not being near fridge and vent.
- loosing the extra space in the loft. Permanent sleeping, playing and storage for kids reduced..
- how do they leave one step to bathroom bedroom in place. Such a hazard how can they not know this.

WHAT IS UNKNOWN TO ME SO FAR
- weighs more, axles look the same, tires look same. I feel this unit is already maxed, did they make improvements here.
- is the basement height lower? Maybe it's the same but the hatch opening and basement height from pictures both look smaller.
- would toys in the garage be easier to manage with longer garage. Cantered toys in garage better for weight distribution?
- hitch weight would it noticeably tow different than a 325srx.
- painted cap or same fibreglass cap prone to oxidization even with lots of cleaning and care.

So my bottom line. Garage is a huge design and function improvement on a toyhauler that has a ton going for it. I like the garage wall beds. I have cots setup today nearly identical but not as efficient. I like the addition of the TV hatch outside. I like the slides on the same side. With that said my list of don't likes is too great to consider trading in my 325srx for a 326srx. I've made to many improvements and upgrades to primarily gain 15 square feet of garage space. Keystone would have to make significant improvements to the kitchen and correct the poor choices in counter, cabinets and clothing storage before I would strongly consider. If I was in the market buying again for the first time, sure the 326srx has a lot going for it in the weight, size, functionality and price columns. If keystone would think like someone using this RV it would become an extremely popular model for them.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
jje1960

326srx

Very nice write-up / thoughts by Max, well done. I really love the changes to the 326. However, we have made so many changes to the 325 (some because of the reasons they redesigned...) that moving to another unit is not going to happen. We moved the TV from the Bay to the bedroom, very nice now watching the news or what-ever in bed. Heat was absolutely unbearable with the single 15K unit and ducting for vacation in Myrtle Beach.... who likes the trailer at 90 degrees? Added portable unit in the Bay (used as extra sleeping space with air-mattress) and 13.5K unit in bedroom (wow, what a difference!) Can't imagine 326 would be any different. Comfort / personal additions include sat dome and TV mounted in storage compartment, roll around cabinet for extra counter top space. Also small accents with small shelves and mirrors in the unit have made it "ours". Of course the biggest (by our standards) mod was removing the bay door and wall so a golf cart would fit more easily (they had a golf cart in the bay in the adverts for the 325) and being selfish about it, that is our main reason for having the unit. The foot longer is an issue for us, we are already threading the needle to get the unit in our driveway. All n' all.... Well, if I had unlimited money (as well as bigger driveway!) to just go trade our unit.... Yea, maybe that bigger garage would be nice, just say bye bye to all the money we have put into our 325... With our latest mod, we are going for a nice cart to put in the back and enjoy what we have, the "jones's" syndrome ain't for us! Ok, I am a bit peeved that the 326 has a bigger garage, but we are happy with our unit and enjoy every minute of time we spend in it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005sm.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	4293  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
rickgu

I hope to see one in person soon as this is the unit I'd like to purchase. We had been looking at the 325 and glad we waited for the 326 because the washer dryer hook up was the selling point. I really hope it's as good as it looks.
rickgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
rickgu

Do a search for the 326 SRX on rv trader and there's a High Country model that looks to have full body paint.
rickgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Mover480

What I don't like is the door from the main room opening into the garage. Removes a lot of space in the garage for the door to open. Also, not having a table and chairs option for the dinette. That funky couch for dining just wouldn't work.

Also, it looks like the price is about $6K more!

For a bunch of pictures, see http://www.genuinerv.com/2014-keysto...eel-tx-i954479
Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
dave-g

here are some more reasons- for me not to upgrade.
1. only one bed in loft now.
2. only one wardrobe in bed room. (with 5 people it is short now)
3. less seating area in living room.
4. with beds in garage- I could never fit 3 dirt bikes.
5. with beds in garage- and rear door in same spot a narrow door just got smaller. may be ok but look tight.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
here are some more reasons- for me not to upgrade.
1. only one bed in loft now.
2. only one wardrobe in bed room. (with 5 people it is short now)
3. less seating area in living room.
4. with beds in garage- I could never fit 3 dirt bikes.
5. with beds in garage- and rear door in same spot a narrow door just got smaller. may be ok but look tight.
All reasons I can appreciate and several I have in common. Eliminating a wardrobe I would have preferred front nose side to side wardrobe closet and bed slideout to maximize storage space. I want a night stand and just happens to be my side of the bed, but they could have built a hybrid of both. Likely reason is that would be custom and no other cougar 5th wheel has one.

I understand mass production efficiencies (I am in purchasing for a big company) and I can appreciate the need to use as much stock on hand from other models for cabinet design and layout. The reality of this model is that it doesn't quite work being unique. It seems far to often that RV manufacturers are building units without consultation from customers. A focus group from 325srx owners would certainly have revealed pain points, need to have and nice to have. Just this forum alone has a dozen model specific owners that could shape the design to become a better selling product and almost certain maintain keystones desired price points and profitability..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
mgilliganfd

fire place for 2013 325SRX

Im trying to buy an electric insert and Im not sure what will fit.. I know its 7inch deep but the advertised demension on a lot of them only give you the full depth, not just the mounting plate back..
mgilliganfd is offline   Reply With Quote