Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
bjbatman

fuzion 342 garage heat

I have no heat at all coming out of the heat duct in my garage. Any ideas?
bjbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a number of previous threads on kinks, crushed ducts, disconnected ducting, excess duct, blocked ductwork, etc. Do a search for heat problems, ducting, heat ducts. You'll find more than enough reasons why you don't have heat and what to do to repair it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
KanTC

Was it previously working correctly? If so, have you checked to confirm that the flexible ductwork is still attached behind the wall duct?
Are there any other ducts blowing less heat? You might also check to confirm that all ductwork is correctly attached at the furnace. Some
members have found excessive amounts of ductwork -with kinks & bends- that restricted heat airflow.

Some food for thought... [Oooops, John was already posting while I was still typing]

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
donc1

We just had our walk through yesterday on our 342. Our rear heater didn't work either. Have you ever used the heater in the garage before? If not, it could be that the connection for the heat strip that is part of the a/c unit is not plugged in. In ours the mechanic had to remove the interior housing of the a/c unit to get into the portion of the a/c that's in the ceiling and noticed the heat strip was not connected. Hope that helps. Good Luck
donc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
lksmitty

+1 on heating coil in the air conditioner not being plugged in. Mine was an easy fix....removed the cover and plugged in the two wire pigtail.
lksmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
bjbatman

did not even know there was a heat strip in the AC. I will check that tomorrow. I was trying to get air out of the duct in the garage. All other vents in the trailer work well except that one. Checked the attachment at the furnace and the connections at the garage outlet. I guess the next step is to crawl under the trailer and try to look under the floor.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
bjbatman

Got motivated and went out to check the underbelly to see if I could solve this issue. Have a new problem now. First screw I tried to remove to look into the underbelly I got shocked. Checked a few more screws with the same results.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
flyinguy68

several of us have reported very little to no heat coming from the garage heat vent (not referring to the roof AC heat strip 2 different animals).

You can trouble shoot if you want, but I'm not about to rip the underside off to find out for myself. I and many others have chosen to use a little space heater in the garage.

Getting shocked when pulling out screws doesn't sound good

'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
ctpd814

I believe that another part of the problem is that the garage heat duct is the farthest away from the heater. I think if you replace the floor registers in the interior with registers that have dampers, you will be able push heat to the garage vent. If you have let your heat run for a while, you will notice that the bathroom gets very warm. This is the first vent off of the furnace. Most of the heat gets blown into the bathroom. By putting a register with a damper on it, it will help distribute the heat better. You can also block off the heat duct to basement storage area if you don't need it.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
fly723

Now I am seriously interested. Does our AC have a heat strip? My dealer said it did not, but I don't think they have any idea.
fly723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
flyinguy68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly723 View Post
Now I am seriously interested. Does our AC have a heat strip? My dealer said it did not, but I don't think they have any idea.
It's an option. Should be easy enough to verify.

'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
ctpd814

fly723,

The heat strip is an option on any a/c unit and can be added if you do not have it. It was part of the package if you have the Monster Pack.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
chain_dogg

Quote:
I found out by reading the brochure

chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
fly723

I must have missed the brochure! :-)

We have the monster package and no info on a heat strip. Should I begin by asking nicer for support on the forum or is it just the norm to not know an answer and to get sarcastic responses from people who have enough time to post a smart @$& comment and not a constructive response.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I must have missed the brochure! :-)

We have the monster package and no info on a heat strip. Should I begin by asking nicer for support on the forum or is it just the norm to not know an answer and to get sarcastic responses from people who have enough time to post a smart @$& comment and not a constructive response.
If you are referring to chain_dogg's response to your question, I wouldn't consider his response as a "smart@$&" comment. He simply stated that he found the answer to your question in the brochure. I'd think it incumbent on all owners of equipment to be familiar with the features included in their RV. If you don't have a brochure, you can easily remove the inside filter cover from your A/C and take a look at what's inside. You'll find the heat strip located there, in the return air box (if you have one).

I sense some frustration in your response, but realistically, the only way to find out if "YOUR" specific A/C has a heat strip installed is for "YOU" to look at it. Through the assembly and maintenance process both at the factory and the dealership, there is a possibility that someone could have installed the wrong A/C, removed the heat strip to seal the air box and not reinstalled it, cannibalized it for another RV and not ordered a replacement, or even a "needy RV'er" may have used the "five finger discount" to help himself to a heat strip from an unlocked RV while it was sitting on the dealer's lot.

To verify if it's installed, just look and see for yourself.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
ctpd814

fly723,

I found my brochure that I received when I purchased my unit. If you would like a copy, PM me your email and I will send it to you. The file is to large to post hear.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
flyinguy68

Yep - Didn't mean to frustrate you Fly. I assumed that if you set your thermostat to "heat" and turned it on and got warm air then "WALLA" you have a "heat strip". It is a shame that sales people aren't more knowledgeable. I think most of us RV'rs would make great sales associates because we end up learning so much about them.

'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
fly723

Totally my fault, I have really had a poor experience with my new Fuzion.........

I am however trying to get to the heat strip issue!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you are referring to chain_dogg's response to your question, I wouldn't consider his response as a "smart@$&" comment. He simply stated that he found the answer to your question in the brochure. lf.
Exactly...I did not know it had a heat strip. It was one of many changes from the touring edition 2 to the touring edition 3.
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
ctpd814

It's hard to believe, but we needed the garage heat last night. The temperature in sw Michigan was in the 50's last night. I turned on the heat in the garage, and got cold air. Thanks to posts on here, I removed the cover and found that the heat strip was not plugged in. A few moments later, there was heat, and a happy daughter.