Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
wgb1

Extremely dissapointing :(

Today I went out to install batteries in one of the detectors in my Bullet 246RKS. When I pulled up to the trailer I noticed a couple of bubbles high upon the top cap. I knew right away what I was looking at.............delamination!!! I am so disappointed. The trailer is stored outside, but I have been extremely diligent in checking the roof about once every 3 months. I clean and inspect closely to see if there are any bad seams that need to be cleaned and recaulked with Dicor Lap sealant. I have had 2 small places in the 2 1/2 years we have owned the RV that needed attention. I have struggled to keep this RV looking nice, but have tried to stay on top of any maintenance issues that cropped up. At this point, not sure what to do. I am going to contact Keystone, but I expect the standard answer of "Sorry, there is nothing we can do since your RV is out of warranty".

A 2 1/2 year old TT should not have this problem when I have stayed on top (LITERALLY) of roof maintenance as I have. It basically confirms my suspicion that most travel trailers are pieces of crap that are slapped together overnight. I am sick and not sure what I will do to resolve the problem. I know it will cost thousands to repair. The front cap decal is also peeling away and I applied 303 several times.

Sick, sick, sick.............

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
theeyres

When we sold our fiver, which had some delamination, we purposely bought "old fashioned"...meaning aluminum siding because we have had so much trouble with delamination with former rigs. Maybe high end rigs with real fiberglass are ok but most trailers with filon are just waiting... Sad to say, my wife often walk around campgrounds and point and say "see...". There are always a a bunch of trailers or fivers with delimitation.

Sorry for your troubles, but I know what you mean.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
GaryWT

Sorry to here the news hope it is an easy fix for you.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Delamination is never a "fun thing" but is often manageable without excessive expense. I'd suggest contacting a boat repair facility, talk to them and see what they say. Essentially, Filon is a fiberglass coated substrate and often can be repaired without expensive replacement if caught early before a lot of damage has been done.

As for your decal problem. I'd urge you to contact Keystone and see what they say. Often (with honey instead of vinegar) Keystone will provide replacement decals with the understanding that the owner will have to pay for removal/replacement charges.

Good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

After about 3 years the front of my artic fox showed delamb. Another 3 years and it had grown much bigger. I had the factory look at it and cost me 1200 for the whole front piece to be replaced in 2008. It can happen to all of these RVs. I thought I was up on the resealing, cleaning also.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Bugle Boy

These units are not made for long term outdoor storage IMHO. Slide out seals, thin rubber roof, Window seals etc. leak and are prone to deterioration from UV.

Leaks cause rapid rot and deterioration of any wood as once water gets in, it takes a long time for it to dry out if ever.

The delamination of the ill chosen material is probably caused by heat of the sun.

The UV also damages the awnings that are exposed.

I am probably not saying anything that you don't already know. There is little owners can do but garage them if possible.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I wonder if a lot of the problems described are a result of excessive "babying" of the exterior---constant application of cleaning chemicals and "protectants".

I have had my very low-end Cougar for exactly three years now. I have lived in it full-time (mostly in warm, sunny Arizona) and it has never seen a garage or even a single exterior cleaning (except rainstorms).

All the decals are still intact and no signs (yet, anyway) of any leaks or delamination.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Delamination is occasionally caused by a faulty lay up of the fiberglass and substrate - luan, rigid insulation or whatever. The sandwich that is formed is coming apart. The glue may not have been applied properly or it could have come from a bad batch of glue. In most of these types of cases the damage is mostly cosmetic. Not sure if heat or the application of waxes or other protective products speed up the process or are causes of delamination - I would suspect not.

However, in most cases, delamination is caused by moisture or water penetration and will usually spread and cause weakness in the sidewall or cap. Wood usually starts to rot and; if not caught early, can result in major repairs and costs. I know it is difficult to track down but there is usually some kind of leak - somewhere that is causing this to take place. Maybe the exterior filon is paper thin in that spot or area and allowing moisture to penetrate? A tiny, hairline crack or pinhole? A crack in the caulking?

As JRTJH suggested, I'd head for a boat repair facility if there is one within reasonable distance . These places are familiar with fiberglass and delamination issues - more so than an RV repair shop - and might be able to provide you with some advice on the best way to solve this problem.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
wgb1

I have not thought about a boat repair business, but I may call a few tomorrow to see what they say. Thanks.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
rixbullet

I've joined the forum today trying to get more info on this very issue. Contacted Keystone customer service today also, very courteous agent asked me to send photos of "bubbles".
My local RV shop said they would handle. Unit is 2010 Bullet 294 BHS. Here's Hoping
rixbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
wgb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixbullet View Post
I've joined the forum today trying to get more info on this very issue. Contacted Keystone customer service today also, very courteous agent asked me to send photos of "bubbles".
My local RV shop said they would handle. Unit is 2010 Bullet 294 BHS. Here's Hoping
Good to hear. I wish you luck. I have not contacted Keystone, but plan to do so. I thought they may ask for photos if only to a appease a bit before saying "sorry". Its worth a try. Keep us informed of the process.

I spoke with an RV dealer yesterday and was given a quote of 2500 to repair by total replacement of the front cap.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado