Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
duramax

Question Make generator quieter

Just wondering if anyone on here has tried to make the metal box surrounding the onan not resonate the sound as much as it does, was thinking it could easily be improved not only by insulating outside of the enclosure, but mainly the inside of it needs maybe a roll on lining of some sort so the sound waves are not bouncing off the light tin. Wouldn't cost too much but the clearance on the inside would obviously be tough to work with, short of pulling the generator out for the task. I realize I need something that can withstand the temps as well. Thanks for the input, this forum is a bunch of help!
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax View Post
Just wondering if anyone on here has tried to make the metal box surrounding the onan not resonate the sound as much as it does, was thinking it could easily be improved not only by insulating outside of the enclosure, but mainly the inside of it needs maybe a roll on lining of some sort so the sound waves are not bouncing off the light tin. Wouldn't cost too much but the clearance on the inside would obviously be tough to work with, short of pulling the generator out for the task. I realize I need something that can withstand the temps as well. Thanks for the input, this forum is a bunch of help!
When I get to it, I will use dynamat,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CB2S/...l_62a8tob7zu_b

But I will be using it on the outside of the metal box. I also intend to use some 2" foam board as my generator is directly under the head of our bed.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
crash

Ours is not that bad on the inside or outside of the camper,Maybe its just us though
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
duramax

Ours is not bad either but I know it can be improved immensely
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Essness

Ours is also not bad but can always be better
Right now there is no insulation. So, I know with a minimum amount of effort it can be better.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
BigCajun

My old bayhauler had a MicroQuiet 4000 a/k/a MicroLOUD generator. I used sound deadening matts (insulation with foil backing) on the cabinet and also had some baffles made with sound materials on the air outlet under the unit as well as additional muffler on the exhaust outlet. Made ALL the difference in the world! The Raptor has the Marquis Gold and is pretty quiet. I've only added a Genturi to this one. The difference is the rpms that the gens run at. The MicroLOUD ran at 3600 rpms, the Marquis at 1800, I believe.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Gregson

If you know someone that does commercial sheet metal ask them for accostic duct liner as it absorbs sound and can handle heat. They line heating ducts so they don't sweat if they are outside and kill noise in offices on air conditioning compressors. Comes in 1 inch and 2 inch and sticky pins to hold it on the walls and roof. Should do the trick for you.
Gregson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Bushman512000

What is that running?

Not the Honda its next door wow why do they not buy a Honda? Been there done that now I have the Honda and every one can sleep at night Just My 02 cents..Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #9
unyalli

This stuff is interesting SPM Soundproofing. I bought this kit and have yet to use it so can't talk from experience but the stuff looks good.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
Keshka

yup....get a Honda EU3000IS. Just a soft purr outside and pretty easy to carry/move for two. It will run one AC unit or the microwave while charging your battery. I have had one for several years now and love it.

Keshka
Keshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:19 AM   #11
notanlines

Keshka, these posts are 8 years old. And you didn't read all posts. You don't realize they are posting about an installed generator, not something to carry in the bed of your truck .
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:17 AM   #12
Keshka

yep, I know these posts are old but since I just bought a 2011 Fuzion and am learning about how Keystone does things....the information in these old posts is relevant.

Yes I did understand the OP was talking about the installed generator. Cummins/Onan gensets have always been a little on the noisy side. They have improved some but need more.

Even with the big Onan on board, I still carry the Honda in the pickup. We dry camp 99% of the time and primarily use solar/battery/propane. The gen set is only started to charge the battery and that takes 12 hours so the quiet Honda is much more economical to run.

Our camping sites are normally high mountain and we seldom start the A/C. I can imagine on really hot 90+ days we may run the A/C for a few hours and the onboard Onan can handle that with ease and during the day, the extra noise is not that big of a deal.

Since "right under our bedroom" was mentioned I gather they were running at night while trying to sleep. Again, I think this would be a nice app for the Honda as it is MUCH quieter and could be placed tens of feet from the bedroom while running the bedroom A/C.

I spent the night in a tent in Gila, NM where it got down to a balmy 102 that night. Sleeping was pretty much impossible. A/C would have been very welcome

Keshka
Keshka is offline   Reply With Quote