Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
mattdillon

lippert hydralic reserve

I have a 2005 3612DS fifth wheel Raptor. My reserve for the electric/hydralic slide pump leaks. I'm sure others have the same problem. A dealer told me that I need a new container for $266.00 and 4 hours to do it at $70.00/hr. He told me the reserve was cracked. He lied!!! I asked him why 4 hrs. when I took it out , cleaned it, refilled it in 30 minutes, and I don't have the tools and expertise like these charlitans. Liars, cooks, thieves, all of them, without exception. Anyhow, I cleaned the O-ring and used liquid gasket and put it back on and it still leaks. It works, but messy. I might not of put on the liquid gasket heavy enough. It drips a drop from the bottom about every minute or so. but after a few days, you end up with several oz. Any Ideas, or suggestions? Or solutions?
mattdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Jim W

As a retired hydraulic engineer, I do not think Liquid gasket will work with hydraulic fluid. If it is real hydraulic fluid that is being used?
I would suggest that you look at the "o-ring" again it is probably cut or has a nick in it. Which is causing the leak.
This needs to be replaced to eliminate the leak. I would suggest that you measure the OD and ID plus the thickness of the "o-ring". Take the "o-ring" with you to an auto parts store or better yet look for a heavy equipment repair shop. To see if you can find a similar size "o-ring made out of Vition,Polyurethane and or Buna-N material. You need to find a material that is compatible with hydraulic fluid which these three are.
When installing do not roll or pinch the "o-ring", use the same fluid that is in the tank and lubricate the"o-ring" when installing.
You should be good to go and leak free unless the tank has an issue.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
mattdillon

Jim, Thanks for the come back and info. I'm using a ATF (automatic transmission fluid) (just didn't want to assume) as recommended by the manufacturer. The liquid casket didn't really work, still drips about a drop every 3 -5 minutes at the bottom. I haven't replace the O-Ring yet as it looked good, but I will now replace it and do as you suggested. Do you know anything about relay switches on RV's switching from 110 to the generator power? Mostly wondering where it's located so I can replace it. Thanks again, Mike
mattdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
CWtheMan

I had a similar problem with the hydraulic reservoir in my 03 Everest. I called Lippert and was informed there was no repair kit for my particular model. My call was transferred to their repair expert and he told me a very successful repair was to take it apart and insure nothing was cracked or broken, then to use red RTV on the o-ring and reinstall it. That was more than a year ago and it’s held up thorough all four seasons.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
jblavoie5

Also double check the flange of the reservoir where it mounts to the pump, mine had some miro cracks which were difficult see. New res and O ring red rtv and we've been good for 4 years now. Careful not to over tighten the four mount bolts.
jblavoie5 is offline   Reply With Quote