Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Randy_K

is it a mistake ?

My wife and i fell in love with the passport 23 RB. We put in our order for one a few day ago. While putting in our order we found out the trailer at the Toronto show was the first one built.

Are we taking a risk by ordering a new , never before built trailer ? We would be geting one of the first one rolling off the line. Not sure if it was a smart thing to get such a new model. Worried about first run production defects. Thoughts ?

Randy
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Food for thought here....

What is unique about the trailer you are looking at? The answer is probably: ONLY THE FLOOR PLAN.

Think about it a bit. All the appliances are pretty much the same as in every other current Keystone RV. They are all installed and hooked up the same way. The cabinetry is different only in shape. It's built the same way as all the other models. Same for the frame, slides, shell, awnings, towing. etc. The carpets and vinyl is installed in exactly the same manner as other models. What makes it so different that has you worried?

Now if it is a radical new design, you might have cause for concern, but those don't come along very often from any manufacturer.

If it is just a new floor plan....

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
eanddrice

I'm sure it will be fine!! Go and enjoy!!
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
zuley

Whether I am right or wrong, time will tell, but I am thinking that the first run units are going to be constructed with a little more care and caution. I'm thinking they will be looking as to where the manufacturing process fails, and how to make improvements, before they gear up for full speed production.
As we have discussed Randy I am seriously considering one as well. I will be following this thread myself interested in the views of others as well.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
gepaine

TT Quality Is Hit or Miss

The travel trailer industry does not have a good record when it comes to quality, so you should expect that there will be defects. Will you experience more defects because it is a new model? Probably not. I'd go ahead with your order because waiting will not guarantee that you get better quality.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
KanTC

I agree with the others... it's simply a new floorplan being added to the existing line-up & that's not
typically a cause for major concern.

Floorplans are commonly added (or deleted) for the new model year, and those of similar size will have
common denominators in the build design, so... it's unlikely that the 23RB will be completely
unfamiliar to the factory workers. It's possible that same (or nearly identical) floorplan may already
exist, or did exist, in another Keystone brand.

There were '7' Passport floorplans added for 2012 which included an entire 'new' line of 5th wheels.
Maybe one of our members has one of those '7', and can also offer some first-hand insight.
http://www.keystone-passport.com/ind...pecs&year=2012

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Bushman512000

1st built

that should be a good one to get they want to sell them so a show unit would be done right You would think and some discounts in price maby...My thoughts any way....Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512000 View Post
that should be a good one to get they want to sell them so a show unit would be done right You would think and some discounts in price maby...My thoughts any way....Bushman
The one at the show sold the first day of the show. They sold all on order for this year but 1. I would expect a price increase for units arriving next year. Its not often prices go down.

Randy
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
fla-gypsy

Just have fun with it.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
wgb1

I agree with the others. Go for it, don't be overly concerned and enjoy the heck out of it. We bought the Bullet 246RBS in '11 and are still loving every minute of it. There are normal areas of concern you should always keep a close eye on, one of them being the rubber roof......more specifically, any seams in the rubber roof around vents and such. As one poster has stated, and I agree with firmly, is that the RV industry as a whole does not have a really good track record when it comes to quality. Make your purchase and don't look back! Life's too short!!

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote