Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Htfiremedic

Heat in the Toy Hauler Area

I have a 2010 Touring Edition II. I fired up the heater today and was pleasantly surprised to find out that we have a heater duct in our Toy Hauler area.
Does anyone have any input on how effective it will be?
How well is our underbelly insulated? Should I add some pink stuff or will we be ok? The wife wants to head to the NC mountains for a weekend in November or December.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
720Deere

Don't expect much from the heat system in the garage. If you aren't using that space, I would suggest keeping the door closed and just focus on keeping the living space comfortable. I have the heat strip in the rear air conditioner and it isn't much help. The heat strip will produce air temperatures in the high 70s but unfortunately all that heat stays at the ceiling while the floor area is freezing cold.

The best solution I have found is to use an electric space heater in the garage. Between the furnace and the electric heater, I can easily maintain 70 degrees throughout the trailer when ambient temps are in the upper 30s. There are several areas that need to be insulated. On the 315 behind the drawers there is a hole in the floor where the fresh water tank fill and washer lines penetrate the floor. They cut this hole 4 times larger than it needs to be and do nothing to seal it. Also behind the stereo head unit there is a gaping hole cut in the wall for wire routing that needs insulating. Cold air can be felt rushing in both of these areas. I'm sure that there are more areas that I need to address, but I have only had the trailer for 2 weeks.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
chain_dogg

Ours is pretty weak in the garage also. We use a electric heater in the garage when the kids are with. Us. The bathroom vent has way to much heat so I bought a vent from camping world with a damper on it to cut down the flow and push more in the living area.
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
720Deere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_dogg View Post
Ours is pretty weak in the garage also. We use a electric heater in the garage when the kids are with. Us. The bathroom vent has way to much heat so I bought a vent from camping world with a damper on it to cut down the flow and push more in the living area.
There is no doubt that the bathroom heat vent will knock you off the toilet! I haven't messed with that yet, but I intend to. That vent is right on top of the furnace so it gets the lion's share of airflow. Leaving the bathroom doors open is not a very good option so I will figure out a way to dampen that vent a little. The excess heat is nice when you are showering but it would be nice to temper it a little during the rest of the day/night.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Htfiremedic

Thanks for the input! I will look for holes and I have a trip to CW planned and will be looking in to a vent with a damper for the bathroom.
I noticed a vent in the underbelly too. I have to take all of our "accoutrements"(pronounced ah Cooter mints in SC) out to reach it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
There is no doubt that the bathroom heat vent will knock you off the toilet! I haven't messed with that yet, but I intend to. That vent is right on top of the furnace so it gets the lion's share of airflow. Leaving the bathroom doors open is not a very good option so I will figure out a way to dampen that vent a little. The excess heat is nice when you are showering but it would be nice to temper it a little during the rest of the day/night.
Here ya go !! Most of them are 12" X 3"

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...th-damper/8124

Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
chain_dogg

I tryed these magnetic vent covers that look like blank vents at Walmart......................But the air flow blows them off

Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
720Deere

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my bathroom vent is round and that won't work without major modification. I have a few ideas for a cover on the existing vent so it can either be blocked or full flow as needed. I would prefer to not cut a larger vent into the floor to accomplish this.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my bathroom vent is round and that won't work without major modification. I have a few ideas for a cover on the existing vent so it can either be blocked or full flow as needed. I would prefer to not cut a larger vent into the floor to accomplish this.
if your vent is the 3.5" round vent, there is a replacement vent available with a baffle to close it as well as to turn it around to direct the airflow in different directions. We had them on our HR in the bedroom and the bathroom. They are quite handy and restricted airflow in the bedroom so we could sleep without the hot air blowing on us but could easily open them during the day to keep the bedroom warmer. Check some of the internet RV dealers, if you can't find them, let me know and I'll try to find them for you.

On second thought, here's the url for the round heat vent with the damper to close it:

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/prod...roduct_id=1366

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
720Deere

Thanks! That is just plain awesome. Pretty hard to beat the cost as well. I can see myself purchasing 2 of them.....one for the bathroom and one for the storage area.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Htfiremedic

Thanks for that! I'm ordering two myself!