Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Sky Watcher

Loud Noise from A/C

First of all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and learn a lot here!
The DW and I have taken our first TT, a new to us '09 Passport 285RL out to nearby COE campgrounds 3 times this spring soon after we bought it, with zero problems. The A/C cooled well and ran quietly when we needed to use it, though the temps were such that I'd have been fine just opening the windows and using the fans.
A month and a half later, just last week, we decided to do another 2 night trip. We got there and all set up and turned on the A/C - Wow what a racket! The whole trailer was vibrating, it sounded like an air compressor was up on the roof. I turned off the A/C and switched it to fan only - it made the same noise, so we knew the fan itself was the culprit.
The campground loop we were in was nearly empty, and I walked over to the nearest neighbor and asked if it sounded loud to him. He said no (and it really wasn't noticeable at his distance). Since it was relatively cool outside and the A/C didn't run too often, we decided to stay the two nights and check things out when we got home, since there was no ladder to get up on the roof with.
Yesterday I took off the shroud, gave the fan a spin and round it went, everything was just fine, no play in the shaft. I reached around the front of the fan, and there is a cup shaped rotor that the blades attach to; I felt a big lump inside the cup. Grabbed the lump and pulled off a nice sized MUD DAUBER nest. It was almost exactly centered inside the cup, but off just enough to make it crazily unbalanced. Scraped the rest of it off, had the wife turn it on and all was good again. It is QUIET again.

I'll follow Bob Landry's advice from an older thread and attach fine hardware cloth inside the shroud's louvers to prevent this from happening again (why the heck don't the manufacturers do these common sense things?), DW does not like the idea of either sweltering inside the TT, nor putting up with that awful vibration ever again.
Sky Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
14george

to the forum great you found the problem
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

Those pesky things get everywhere. I've seen mud nests in the furnace and water heater too. You might have to wasp proof more than just the A/C.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Steve S

Welcome to the forum, that was an interesting post. I'm glad that it was a simple fix and yes the screens are the way to go
Old 08-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to the Forum From Western PA.

Thank You for sharing your experience, this is how we learn from each others experiences Good and Bad!!

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Sky Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Those pesky things get everywhere. I've seen mud nests in the furnace and water heater too. You might have to wasp proof more than just the A/C.
Thanks for the welcome. I had read some of the posts about those problems, so we bought those screens, and also for the fridge when we picked up the TT from the dealer in March. I missed the thread about insects inside the A/C shroud: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10407.

I forgot to mention the paper wasp nest attached to the underside of the shroud, it gave me goosebumps when a half dozen wasps flew around me, but didn't get stung.
Sky Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
SUnderwood

wasps make a pinging sound when the hit a fan blade , serves them right for invading my a/c unit
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote