Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
rcgreb

hauling a Jeep

Just wondering if anyone has either the fuzion 398 or a raptor 4014LEV and hauling a jeep in? or for that matter any of the models right now just looking but of the current ones those are the only 2 big enough to put a jeep in. Looking for thoughts. Currently have a truck camper then trailer the Jeep but looking for something a little bigger.
thanks
Rod
rcgreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Me.Bikes.Dogs

What does the jeep weigh with a full fuel tank? Will the toyhauler handle that weight?
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
KanTC

Rod,

Although both models you mentioned have a 14 ft garage, chances are your Jeep
will take up the majority of cargo/carrying capacity in most toy haulers.

Raptor 4014LE shows max CCC 4,410 lbs (base unit, no options)

Fuzion 398 shows max CCC 4,035 lbs (base unit, no options)

Any options (electric beds in garage, generator, etc) will decrease the available cargo capacity.
Don't forget to allow for propane, batteries, generator fuel, gear/supplies, food, clothes, & any water too!

Hope this helps!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
dave-g

stock 1997-2003 jeep weight about 3400-3800 lbs.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
rcgreb

thanks for the reply's and all the comments are questions I have been asking myself, and yes my jeep weighs in full of fuel between 37 and 3800 lbs. So yes I would definatley be pushing the max weight if not over, and that is what worry's me is how far over can I go without damage to the toy hauler, because I know its just like everything else the manufacture rates it at what they know is safe and not going to cause legal issues for them. Just like the weight rating on our trucks that we pull these with.

If anyone hauls a jeep in a toy hauler let me know would love to hear from you as well good bad or otherwise.

thanks,
Rod
rcgreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
TAS

I looked into this for a long time but I couldn't find anything that could haul mine (w/ modifications). The biggest issue was the ramp door was not rated for the jeep.
98 TJ (w/ enough mods to get me into trouble)
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

RCGREB, You need to dig a lot deeper in your research than just "max load" for the trailer. On my fiver, the GVW is 8100, but the axles are 3500 each and the rest is "calculated" to be on the pin. So theoretically, I couldn't put all the weight behind the axles in my trailer without overloading the axles. In your situation, you might find that even with a 14500 GVW, it's calculated with 12000 lbs on the axles and 2500 or more is on the pin. Putting a 4000 lb jeep in the back may overload your axles to a point of being unsafe. Additionally, from what I've read about toyhaulers, the weight in the garage needs to be "somewhat" offset by weight forward in the trailer to maintain the pin weight needed for safe towing. If you're looking at a trailer with a max load capability of 4400 lbs and your jeep weighs 4000lb, you may not be able to load enough cargo/etc forward of the axles to offset that much weight in the garage without seriously overloading the GVW.

DIG DEEPER before you spend your money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might find that a good "smaller fiver" and the jeep on a trailer behind that might be much safer and much more cost effective.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #8
dave-g

"DIG DEEPER before you spend your money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might find that a good "smaller fiver" and the jeep on a trailer behind that might be much safer and much more cost effective. "

I have seen people do this is it legal? I know there is no way to back it up.

I would be more inclined to look at a motor home and a trailer.

I did a quick search and found this-

http://debbieurbanlpc.tripod.com/camper.htm
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The link you provided looks interesting, but nowhere in the link is there any mention of GVW, Weight, Cargo limits or axle ratings. While this trailer may very well be capable of carrying your Jeep, the fact that there is a picture of a Jeep sitting in it does NOT mean it is safe or even within the design limits of the trailer.

And, in your signature, you indicate that you have a F250 gas truck. If that is the case, then I'd be very concerned that your truck is grossly underrated to tow a large triple axle fifth wheel.

As for the question: "is it legal to double tow" question, yes, it is perfectly legal in a number of states, next time you're on the interstate, make it a note to watch for double tow fifth wheels. I'd guess you'll find several in your first hour of driving.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
cumminsdad08

i have always seen tractors doin it, but i never seen a pickup pulling multiple trailers.

on another note, i would look into a driving RV, and just pull the jeep behind it. you are obviously taking the jeep for a reason, so that would be your travel vehical. good luck. i don't think that i would put a vehical that large into a trailer, for all kinds of reasons
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
dave-g

jrthj-

you are correct no 250 could tow a 5th wheel with 3 axles and not be over weight. (most ate 13,000 lbs empty) But I'm sure a 250 would also be over weight towing two trailers(gcwr- most around18-20k lbs)

And god only knows how you would make the breaks work correctly. It may be legal in many states but t me not very safe.

Talk to someone how drives doubles or triples for a living, they can be a real hand full when the weather turns on you.

If you go to any car racing event you will see tons of 5th wheels hauling cars. Most are pulled with 450's or bigger. And most put the car over the axles.

To me- when my family is in the truck- safety is paramount.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
jrthj-

you are correct no 250 could tow a 5th wheel with 3 axles and not be over weight. (most ate 13,000 lbs empty) But I'm sure a 250 would also be over weight towing two trailers(gcwr- most around18-20k lbs)

And god only knows how you would make the breaks work correctly. It may be legal in many states but t me not very safe.

To me- when my family is in the truck- safety is paramount.
X2. as for brakes, many heavy boat trailers use surge brakes, there is no electrical connection required for braking, only for lights.

To me, even if my family is not in the truck, safety is paramount. I value my life too <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgreb View Post
Just wondering if anyone has either the fuzion 398 or a raptor 4014LEV and hauling a jeep in? or for that matter any of the models right now just looking but of the current ones those are the only 2 big enough to put a jeep in. Looking for thoughts. Currently have a truck camper then trailer the Jeep but looking for something a little bigger.
thanks
Rod
Most of these types of trailers even though the cargo area might be big enough to fit a small vehicle in are not designed to handle the weight of a vehicle. Most of them are only designed to handle about 2000 lbs in the cargo area (about the weight of a couple of big bikes or a couple of ATV's). What you might be looking for is the car haulers with living quarters. There are company's that make these types of trailers which would be more specific to what you are looking to do. Here is one place that comes to mind that I know builds this type of trailer in my area http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/. I'm sure you could do a Google search and find a few more places. Good luck!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote