Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
AlCherry

Suburban SW12DE Water Heater

OK. The last thing to check on the 3814 is the water heater. I'm using the mentality from the one on my Thor, an all gas system.
I turn on the gas, and flip the switch in the cabin. Normally the red light comes on when the pilot fires up. I get nothing. The book I got for the heater is not real clear on how this unit operates, nor is the owners manual for the RV. Looking inside of the compartment where the igniter and everything is, I notice a "ON/OFF" switch, which is on. After scratching my bald head awhile, I go in and turn on the hot water, and the water is hot. Bingo- I have an electric/gas system. Got it.
Now the question is: When does the gas kick in, and how do you do it? Does the gas kick in when there is no AC power? As I said, the manuals are not real clear on how to operate the system.
I appreciate your patience with me and thanks for the answers. Al
06 Harley Sportster (Frankenstein) Trike (wife)
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
AlCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

HWHeater

Al,

If is like my 318SAB, the inside switch controls the gas side while the switch on the unit controls the electric.

Both are controlled by the water temp thermostat. I use the electric at all times unless I am either on no electric at all or the site has only 20 amps. If you are using a generator it is best to use the gas side as well.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
AlCherry

So, I guess if the water is already hot, then the gas has no need to kick in, if the thermostat shows it is hot, right? I'll shut the system down and let it cool off and see what happens.
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

On our Cougar, the black rocker ON/Off switch found on the inside of the exterior H/W access door is the only switch I have to control the electrical operation. If the switch is in the OFF position, it doesn't automatically go to gas and fire up the tank. I have to light the tank from the inside switch. If the exterior switch is in the ON postion, I can also heat the tank by using gas - so the tank is being heated by both electicity and gas. Other than the need for heating a cold tank faster, I don't see any need to use both.
If I run out of propane, it wont go to electricity unless I have that little rocker exterior switch turned ON.
The temperature is, of course, controlled by a thermostat and both will kick in when the temp falls below a certain point.
Not sure if any of this applies to your situation -- hope it helps rather than confuses.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
AlCherry

Thanks Mr Festus. I shut the electricity off and when it cools down enough, we'll see if I can get the gas to kick in, probably next weekend. Al
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
therink

Alcherry
Don't forget to make sure the electric element is turned off before you ever drcide to drain your water heater. If the element is dry when turned on, it will burn out really quick.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
AlCherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Alcherry
Don't forget to make sure the electric element is turned off before you ever drcide to drain your water heater. If the element is dry when turned on, it will burn out really quick.
Steve
Thanks. Al
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army