Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
rcbufalino

Cool Propane vs Generator While in Transit

Hi All,
What is the the preferred/safest way to keep the refrigerator operational when in transit. running generator or using propane
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (His)
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (Her)
1999 Yamaha Venture Royal Star
:USA2
rcbufalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have used propane for more years than I can count. Post 9/11 there are some areas that your propane must be off and inspected, none out here (west) that I know of so I don't worry about it.

Depending on how far your drive is and how cold your refer is at the start, you can leave it off for a few hours and be okay.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I think the majority of people turn the fridge on propane while travelling and leave it on until they reach their destination. Some will turn the propane off when refueling but again, I think most don't.

When travelling on the ferry systems here in the Pacific North West, your propane tanks must be turned off but other than that, I have never come across any other restrictions. However, there are similar restrictions in some other areas when going through tunnels.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
jje1960

Propane

I remember a number of years ago, we went through a tunnel in Maryland, they had a stop prior to the entrance and had us turn off the propane. I also remember how nice they were, very friendly quick stop. Other than that, we usually have the propane on the entire trip. I am careful though, in the heat of summer, I will turn off the propane prior to refueling, I noticed a number of years ago while in a gas station heavy fumes under the station canopy and on very hot and breeze-less conditions I would NOT want that fridge spark/flame propane running. In those conditions I'll definitely stop prior to entering the station.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
GaryWT

We do not have a generator so we leave the propane on.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
64tbolt

I leave it on propane always. If it catches fire I will use the ins money to buy a new one. J/K but I have never had a problem.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Mine is on auto. At home it's plugged in so it gets cold a couple days before we leave, then when I unplug it goes to propane. Once I'm in my campsite and plug in its back to electric. I like my propane for the furnace.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
64tbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Mine is on auto. At home it's plugged in so it gets cold a couple days before we leave, then when I unplug it goes to propane. Once I'm in my campsite and plug in its back to electric. I like my propane for the furnace.
I don't stay in campgrounds much. 3 times in the past 16 yrs. one of the three had hookups. I like my space so I stay in the forest or desert.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Htfiremedic

We have done both. I prefer the GenSet over the propane. On the plus side, it exercises the unit while you drive!!

Steve, Tracie, Abbie, Carlie and Ginger Hudson
Ginger is my PTSD service dog
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
64tbolt

propane is cheaper than gas being off grid my gen will get exercise when I get there.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
Way Of Life

From a safety stand point we do not run the propane while traveling.

http://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I just reviewed that YouTube video. Although the guy is sitting in front of a fire department sign and wearing firemen's clothing, he knows very little about RV safety equipment and the function of all "modern RV's"...

First, he talks about the black iron pipe and then discusses the 4 "brass" tubes that come off that. (They are copper not brass). He goes on to say that in a collision or tire failure, the tubing could be damaged and fill the compartments with propane. (There is a safety flow valve in each tank, another one in each pigtail and one in the regulator to prevent "high flow" propane from doing that). He says that Dometic/Norcold say that you "should be able to run 6-8 hours and lose only 4 degrees". I can't find that anywhere in the operator's manual. I do find, in both owner's manuals, statements concerning operating while in motion and neither company has a statement recommending NOT to operate the refrigerator while in the RV is in motion.

He goes on to suggest that the generator be used to power the refrigerator, but he fails to recognize that there is a fuel line from the fuel tank to the generator that is also subject to damage from a tire failure, collision, or other other event. There are no safety devices to limit or stop the flow of gas to the generator as there is in the propane system.

I would have to question his reasoning for not using the propane system if the RV owner chooses to do so. While there is "some risk" (although extremely unlikely), of the things he states happening, there are safety devices (three) that must all three fail, "when the black iron pipe or copper branch line is ruptured" before propane would "fill the compartments", and then, only if the damaged tubing is "inside the compartment", otherwise, the propane would flow (assuming all the safety devices failed) outside the compartments where the damaged tubing is located....

There is a lot of "fear factor" involved with using the propane system while in motion. With the furnace,, there is a valid concern because of the air pressures during travel that are involved in burner operation and exhaust gasses. However, with the refrigerator (which is designed with baffles and vent systems designed for operation when in motion), it depends on the owner's preference. Both manufacturers give rationale as to how the refrigerator operates "when the vehicle is in motion" and describe why the appliance doesn't need to be level when the vehicle is in motion. If it were "a hazard" they wouldn't open themselves up to the "sharks" and the liability of frivolous lawsuits.

I still maintain that it's a personal decision whether to operate the refrigerator on propane when travelling (except where there are laws prohibiting use, such as in tunnels and in some confined spaces/over specific bridges.

Otherwise, "owner's choice".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
From a safety stand point we do not run the propane while traveling.

http://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw
Ahhh... another "expert" with a YouTube channel.

He is mis-informed on several counts.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
raineman

I am probably going to sound stupid as heck here, but, the dealer claimed that my fridge would run,once cold while driving using the truck's standard plug in the rear that also runs the running lights, blinkers etc.

Please be kind in your response if that sounds nuts. I am only stating what my dealer said.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I am probably going to sound stupid as heck here, but, the dealer claimed that my fridge would run,once cold while driving using the truck's standard plug in the rear that also runs the running lights, blinkers etc.

Please be kind in your response if that sounds nuts. I am only stating what my dealer said.
IF your fridge is a three way, then yes it will. Look at your control panel on the front. What options are available? If you can only choose AUTO or LP, then it WON'T continue to cool using the tow vehicle battery. If it has a 12V option, then it will.

The only 3 way units I have seen are very small dometic units in small van conversions.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #16
Way Of Life

Thanks John for the educated post.....Very informative.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #17
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post

Maybe... if it is a 3 way. I have not seen a large 3 way in years, only the small 2.4 cubic foot units. They still make them, just have not seen them installed.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Some of the larger Raptor models have "home refrigerators" operated by a deep cycle battery and a dedicated inverter". They are 18cuft French door models. I believe the 300MP has an 8 cuft Norcold gas absorption refrigerator. That model does not have a 12 volt option. It is either 110 or propane. Of course 12 volts is necessary to operate the electronics in either mode.

Possibly the dealer "meant to say" that the refrigerator can operate on propane and can draw the 12 volt power to run the electronics from the tow vehicle while underway ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote