Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
fortmyersguy

Front Bedroom Slideout

My front bedroom slide on my 3812 Raptor toyhauler has a leak in it. Has anyone else had this problem? The floor is now soft and I'm wondering how to fix it. Not sure where water is getting in, any suggestions????? Thanks, Bruce
fortmyersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
jtyphoid

I just finished replacing the floor of the front BR slide on our new to us 2009 Raptor 3612DS. It took me two full days, but I was taking my time to make certain that I didn't make any costly mistakes.

The leak in my case was improper caulking on the bottom piece of the trim that goes around the outside face of the slide. Rainwater hitting the slide out was able to run down the face and continue on underneath the trim straight to the OSB floor.

Edited to add that it was two days of actual work. There was also time spent on the computer looking for ideas on how to approach the job. I found a youtube video that showed the basic procedure, but I modified it some to make it a bit easier.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
saltytuna1

Same spot on my 310TS model. The bottom corner of the slide out is a piece of angle aluminum. The caulking on the side section of the angle shrunk allowing water to flow down the side of the slide, under the angle and trail into the interior floor. Re-caulked it and no problem since.

Steve
saltytuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
joestaz

Angry Bedroom Slide

Had the same problem on my 2010 Fuzion Touring Edition II. At first the dealer said they couldn't duplicate the problem the after the floor was so bad the slideout wouldn't retract right they found the problem. Looks like Keystone needs to step up, correct the design and pay for the repairs.
Retired
joestaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
05hd350

Front bedroom slide

Sounds like a common problem, mine did it and another friend of mine had the same thing happen. Mine appeared that the caulk shrunk and cracked, failing to seal the bottom part of the slide causing a soft floor. Wasn't a terrible fix but make sure to take your time when putting it back together cause I think mine is now not closing as good as it did before. I'm going to have to try adjusting it and hopefully that will fix that part.
05hd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Just curious if any of you have experienced delamination on your exterior walls? Did the water get down into the walls as well or did the seal/calk hold up there and only get water on the flooring. It is common for delamination to occur if water gets inside the walls resulting in large bubbles or ripples down the outside of the camper.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
KenBob

Are the leaks as the slide is out, in, or either?
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #8
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
It depends on the location of the leak. If the leak is on the outside face of the slideout, like mine was, then it can leak in either position. If the leak is on the side, then it will only leak when the slide is out.

Note that this is only referring to leaks within the slideout structure, itself. There are seals between the slideout structure and the main part of the trailer that can also leak, but they leak into different areas and most likely cause different damage.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
saltytuna1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
On mine it only leaked when it was out as that's when the side of the slide was exposed to the weather. The water would then follow the angle aluminum trim on the bottom corner of the slide into the interior of the trailer and leak onto the main bedroom floor.

Steve
saltytuna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
jtyphoid

This is what our bedroom slideout floor looked like due to the leak.

The only clue that there was a problem was that the bedroom slide would come in a bit crooked.

Fortunately, the damage was contained to just the floor. I sure learned (and probably saved) a lot by replacing it myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1394654765609.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	5291
Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
I just finished replacing the floor of the front BR slide on our new to us 2009 Raptor 3612DS. It took me two full days, but I was taking my time to make certain that I didn't make any costly mistakes.

The leak in my case was improper caulking on the bottom piece of the trim that goes around the outside face of the slide. Rainwater hitting the slide out was able to run down the face and continue on underneath the trim straight to the OSB floor.

Edited to add that it was two days of actual work. There was also time spent on the computer looking for ideas on how to approach the job. I found a youtube video that showed the basic procedure, but I modified it some to make it a bit easier.
I had a request via PM for any tips or tricks for replacing the slide-out floor, so here goes:

First, I found this video series on youtube that was very helpful:

Because the bedroom slide out is much smaller and lighter than the one in the video, I chose to support the slide out in the open position using a different approach. This was much easier to do than it will be to describe. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. The approach was to "pin" the slide-out in the open position by inserting bracing between the vertical flanges on the slide out and the outer wall on the trailer (where the flanges contact the wall when the slide-out is closed).

With the slide out open, cut two 2x4s to a length equal to the height of the body of the slide out (not including the flanges). Position one on the inside of the side flange, with the bottom of the 2x4 about 4 inches above the bottom of the body of the slide. It's important that these be at least 4 inches above the bottom of the slide out or they'll be in the way as you work on the bottom of the slide out. This will also make the tops stick up about 4 inches above the top of the slide. We'll use that in a minute. Position the 2nd 2x4 up next to the body of the trailer at about the same height. Next, measure and cut two short 2x4s to wedge horizontally between the two vertical 2x4s. One will go at near the top and the other will be at the bottom. They don't need to wedge the slide open very tightly, so it's better if the horizontal pieces are slightly short instead of slightly long. You'll also need to build the same structure for the other side of the slide out.

Now back to why you want the vertical pieces to stick up above the roof of the slide out - I cut two more 2x4s that ran across the roof - with one close to the body and one close to the flange - and screwed them into the vertical 2x4s to "hang" the bracing so that it couldn't fall out of place. In fact, I cut the roof pieces first and "hung" the vertical pieces so that I didn't have to have helpers holding them in place while I measured and cut the horizontal pieces.

Whew! A lot of words for something fairly simple.

Now that the slide out is braced in the open position, the real work can begin.

1) Remove the mattress
2) Remove the two bed platform pieces
3) Remove the "floor" of the under-bed storage space
4) Remove the bed frame
5) Remove the bolts connecting the hydraulic ram plate from the angle iron that is bolted to slide out floor.
6) Retract the ram just a little bit to verify that the bracing is keeping the slide out open. Check outside again to make certain that the bracing didn't move when it took the load. If everything looks good, retract the ram the rest of the way to clear the slide out floor as much as possible.
7) Moving back outside, remove the bottom two flange corner caps.
8) Remove the bottom flange
9) Remove the angle iron at the bottom of both sides of the slide out
10) Carefully peel off the plastic sheet that is glued to the underside of the floor of the slide-out. This extends slightly into the trailer, so you may need a long putty knife of the like to get the adhesive to release. Try not to damage this, because you will need to reuse it.
11) Remove all of the screws that hold the slide out to the bottom of the outer and side walls of the slide out. On my trailer, there were two screws that I couldn't get to because they were about even with the side wall of the trailer. I used a reciprocating saw to cut them from the inside of the trailer.
12) Remove the bolts that hold the angle iron to the floor and remove the angle iron.
13) You should now be able to pull the floor out from the outside.
14) Hopefully, your floor is still in good enough shape to measure the thickness, length, width, and placement of the holes for the angle iron. Use that information to prepare a new floor. I used plywood instead of OSB for a replacement floor.
15) Carefully inspect the outer and side walls of the slide out for water damage. Also, inspect to find out how the water got to the floor in the first place. In my case, the caulk where the bottom flange contacted the outer wall of the slide out had failed, so water running down the outer wall was going under the flange and down to the floor.
16) Clean everything that you'll be reusing. Cleaning off the old silicone caulk was the most tedious part of the job, and probably the most important. Because new silicone caulk won't stick to old silicone, you have to clean very thoroughly so that you can be leak free.

Now just reverse the process to install the replacement floor and put everything back together.

I had to replace most of the screws and bolts due to rust. I didn't bother with putting carpet on the new floor. You can paint it if you want it to match or just leave it raw. It's not very visible after the bed is installed.

I also used butyl rubber tape instead of caulk tape wherever caulk tape had previously been used.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Luckybuck55

Did you take piece of angle aluminum off and put silicon behind and put back on or what did you do to fix ? I got RV service coming on Saturday to check where leak is coming from. I just want to make sure it gets fixed since it is a 2014
Luckybuck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybuck55 View Post
Did you take piece of angle aluminum off and put silicon behind and put back on or what did you do to fix ? I got RV service coming on Saturday to check where leak is coming from. I just want to make sure it gets fixed since it is a 2014
I used butyl rubber tape behind the angle aluminum along the bottom sides. The factory used putty tape, which was dried out and no longer sticking.

The factory didn't put anything behind the big aluminum flange, so the only thing keeping out the water running down the outer face of the slide out was a single bead of silicone caulk. I put a very thin line of butyl rubber tape behind that flange to serve as a backup for the caulk. That said, I'm probably going to take the flange back off and use a bead of Proflex or Dicor non-sag on the back side instead of the butyl rubber tape.