Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
chartrand

Ideas for transporting bikes inside the trailer

Ok, so I've read lots of post here on bike racks and on other forums. Even called my dealer to get his opinion. In the end I really don't want to modify my frame, or even bolt something on to the bumper. So for those of you who transport your bikes inside the trailer, do you have any pictures, or good ideas on how to strap them in? I have the Premier 22rbpr so no bunks, and to further complicate things I have the center entertainment center. I've placed my two adult bikes on my bed before but they shift and on the way home get the bed dirty. Any thoughts?

Thanks all
Pat
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I've carried two adult bikes inside our 5th wheel. I just lean both of them against our couch and bungee cord the wheels so they don't turn. I lay old blankets on the couch where the bikes come into contact and have had no grease or dirt issues. The bikes are leaning at enough of an angle that they don't seem to move at all.

Works for us but it is a bit of a nuisance - especially when we stop for lunch and we need to step over the bikes to get at the fridge. We don't take them everywhere so putting them inside isn't a regular occurrence.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
summerhummer

Happy Easter ! I am very interested in this topic. I am about to go to Easter dinner so I dont have time to post pics but I wanted to contribute to the forum. I am thinking about mounting bikes on the dinnette seats. A google image search of:
"bikes mounted on dinette" will show a number of pictures on how folks do this. Since my Dinette seat bottoms are sort of Flimsy I am going to cut a piece of pressure treated wood to size and do this project when I can get around to it. Right now I lean them against the dinnette and put cushions along side so they dont bump or scratch anything. The slides in their traveling position keep em in place. It works but it is a PITA when you need to get to stuff quickly so I am going to do the dinette seat project. The google image search will yield some creative ways......
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
GaryWT

Is it just the 2 of you, if you put the back seat down do the fit in the Durango? Would think that could be easier.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
chartrand

Two bikes, but three people. I'll have to check and see if the bikes would fit in the Durango.

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
2014Fuzion300

I made a bike rack out of PVC pipes, elbows,and T connectors, which I attach to the tiedowns with ratchet straps.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
GaryWT

Another thought, bike rack on the roof of the Durango might work. I just hate the thought of the doorway or couch or something getting messed up by the bikes.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
2014Fuzion300

Another picture.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
LuvsPalmTrees

In our old trailer we hauled all the bikes (4) we put down a sheet on one bed and put the 2 adult bikes. They never moved and the dirt never got onto anything. The boys bikes we put on the dinette (collapsed) first we put down a sheet, then a piece of cardboard were the pedals would go then both bikes. Nothing ever moved. We now put them in the bed of our truck with the rugs between them.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
PaulDeb2

We purchased the Bike Bunk. It fits over the propane tanks on the front of the trailer. Then you mount a bike rack into what is a 2-inch receiver. The only problem is...the bikes are really high, so my husband balanced on the truck bumper and trailer front.
2011 Bullet 294BHS
2013 Suburban 4WD 1500 LTZ
PaulDeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Another thought, bike rack on the roof of the Durango might work. I just hate the thought of the doorway or couch or something getting messed up by the bikes.
The roof rack is already used by the kayaks.

I'm thinking of maybe doing something like this:

Maybe using the fork mounts on the night stands by the bed and having a bike on each side of the bed. The fork stands are about $20 so this could be a cheap solution. Just pull off the front tire and put it in the under bed storage and connect to the fork mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
summerhummer

Paul & Deb. any other comments on the bike bunk as far as how you like it vibration etc. It seems the only feedback you gave is the bikes are really high up...
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Hmmm.....that might work well for our bikes.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
BlindGuyNAR

Here is how I do it: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10318

Been to IA and back and they didn't move an inch.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGuyNAR View Post
Here is how I do it: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10318

Been to IA and back and they didn't move an inch.
Questions:
That board is pretty thin, are those washers on the back side working OK with the weight and presure of the bikes?

Does the table top move while in transit?

Where do you put the table poles while in transit?

thanks
Pat

Propride P3 Hitch
Old 04-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
RedOne

[QUOTE=Festus2;122923]I've carried two adult bikes inside our 5th wheel. I just lean both of them against our couch and bungee cord the wheels so they don't turn. I lay old blankets on the couch where the bikes come into contact and have had no grease or dirt issues. The bikes are leaning at enough of an angle that they don't seem to move at all. QUOTE]

That is what we do also. They are safe from the elements too. If they are hung in the back of the camper I would always wonder if they would be there when we stop. Couple of thousand bucks in bikes gone>>>
Old 04-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #17
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
Questions:
That board is pretty thin, are those washers on the back side working OK with the weight and presure of the bikes?

Does the table top move while in transit?

Where do you put the table poles while in transit?

thanks
Pat
that board is either 3/8 or 1/2 so yeah no issues with weight of bikes. Washers are fine and I only used due to using small hardware and I tend to over do everything.

table top stays in place and poles ride either under table or in the under bench storage.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote