Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
steve slade

Having no luck getting a patio?

If u have an older toy hauler or a toy hauler with no reinforced door and want a patio kit but have had no luck trying to source one. Me too. I bought a 2015 carbon 32 and didn't find out till later no patio kit available because of door not being reinforced . No dealer would sell me one so I was going to make some cables and drill my door. But I wanted those nice OEMparts so I found that if u have the serial no or vin number u can order any part u want. So I went looking at the new carbon 35 that had the patio package at the dealer , took a pitchure of the vin number and ordered the cables and brackets from keystone at the dealer. Then I needed the older style patio so I went to a different dealer and saw a vengeance 30v with patio that had the same size door as mine. Took a pitchure of the vin and ordered the patio railing. So far just drilled the door with the cables and so happy finally gonna have a patio kit. So if u need a kit just get those vin numbers and order away
steve slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
hdrolling

I believe you can buy everything from here.

http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...tegory=&page=6

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You may be able to get everything from Trekwood, or you can use "a fake VIN" to order parts from a dealership, but I question whether LCI and the engineers at Keystone have any valid concerns with installing all that equipment on a "non-reinforced ramp".....

Once you get 4 or 5 people on the ramp (when it's being used as a patio), is a "non-reinforced ramp" able to safely support that much weight without damaging the ramp and possibly causing it to fail? There's a reason why LCI and Keystone won't sell the "patio conversion" to owners of trailers with the original (non-reinforced) ramp. How much weight can the ramp support when used as a patio before it folds and sends the people standing on it to the ground? Will they be injured in the "failure" ???

Is this something like installing 6 ply tires on a trailer designed for 10 ply tires, because the 6 ply ones have "white letter outlines" and look better? or are "neater looking" ???

If the original ramp is "designed for the load" then there should be no problem, but if it's not.... Is there any way to determine the "safe patio configured load" and if so, is it even important ????

I suppose I'd ask: "Why are LCI and Keystone not selling the conversion to owners of some trailers?" From a profit perspective, it would seem like they would sell to anyone who wanted to spend the money.... There's more than meets the "first glance", I wonder why ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
canesfan

What JRTJH said ^. There was a thread on here a few years ago about this very subject and the reinforced versus non-reinforced door. Outside of a complete failure and people maybe getting hurt, you have the possible damage to the door, and repair or replacement of the door, even if it doesn't fail all the way. It was soon after I bought my current rig, so it was 2-1/2 years ago or so. I'd do a search on ramp door, or ramp patio door or similar and read that thread. The was some good info, and arguments, in it. If I recall there was even someone who used their firepit on the ramp patio.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
steve slade

Trek wood will not sell me the parts ,I tried that route. As for the door it is quite stable and I am very happy with the results. It's not as sturdy as the rienforsed patios but I won't be having more than three people on it at a time and it had no problem holding the weight of me the wife and little girl. My biggest concern would be the strength of the door when loading SXS since it may have compromised some of the integrity with such a heavy load. I only have quads right now and it is able to still handle that load no problem but I may run into trouble down the road when I finally get a SXS but the risk was well worth it. So happy to finally have a patio
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
dcg9381

Steve,
When you're done:
1) What's the size of your door?
2) Photos
3) Invoice/part numbers used....
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
steve slade

How do I post pics. Can't find an icon for pitchures anywhere
Old 07-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
steve slade

I think I figured it out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	10834  
Old 07-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
steve slade

Only can get one pitchure to print at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	10836  
Old 07-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
steve slade

This was the style and size patio
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
steve slade

Here is the bracket
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 AM   #12
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve slade View Post
This was the style and size patio
They sure would make money if they would sell everything, that price is just for the railing kit. The door with steps was in the $2500 range. I thought I didn't want the patio, now everywhere I look I see them and they look nice.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #13
steve slade

Sorry about the ****ty pics but I'm gone away at work and l only took a couple pics of the setup. And I could only find the vin for the carbon 35 which was the first pic. Will post more when I get home to install the rails
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 AM   #14
spicercars

Keep in mind that the rear doors that come without the patio are not as strong as the ones that do. The patio doors require a lot more strength. You can see the difference if you have them side by side.