Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
CowboyTX

Looking for cooling info on Cougar 386mbi or other Keystone5th wheels in hot climates

We are currently considering the purchase of a new Cougar 386mbi and are seeking some feedback from current owners who have spent some time in hotter climates. We currently own a 2017 Rockwood 8329ss bumper-pull which we really like. We have had no problems with this unit and what we are most impressed with is how cool the coach stays in hot weather. We spend most summers down at the Texas coast where shoreline temperatures stay around 95 degrees and humidity is usually in the 70s. Our camper has 2 acs (Coleman Mach 3) and the temperature stays around 75 in the afternoons and will get down into the mid 60's at night and maintaining humidity levels in the low 40's. And thats with the camper sitting in full sun. Having said that, we are looking to go with a 5th wheel and especially like the larger showers and higher ceilings. My question is whether current Cougar 5th wheel owners are happy with the cooling capacities of their 5th wheels. It sounds like the units stay warm in cold weather but that is not so much a concern for us in Texas.
CowboyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

I have an older Cougar and one A/C is not up to keeping it cool in Texas in direct sun. I have made many mods to help it keep cool and supplement my new 15K BTU Dometic A/C with an 8K portable A/C vented out a window. Make sure you get 50A service in whatever 5ver you buy.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
mcmeadows1

^x2

If you spend any amount of time in the desert Southwest, especially during summer months, you will need two AC units. This will require a 5th wheel which is wired for 50 amp service.

Do yourself a huge favor and only look at those RVs which are factory wired for 50 amps and come from the factory with two AC units. And then buy one of those.

Our 5th wheel (34 feet long) only has one AC unit (and only a 13.5k at that). In summer, the AC unit simply cannot keep the RV cool during the day. The AC is ducted throughout the RV, and the AC works very well. However, it is simply is underpowered for the application.

Two AC units are what you will need.
mcmeadows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
CowboyTX

So far most all of the campers we have looked at down here have two ac's from factory. It's a necessity down here. And I will definitely get 2. I know too that different manufacturers have different levels of insulation that can make a big difference even if you have both ac's. Just wondering about the ability of the Cougars to keep a comfortable temperature when it is really hot outside. I have heard good reviews on the Rockwoods and Grand Designs in regards to that.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #5
TxPilot2185

I have a 2020 368MBI and it does a good job of staying cool. I’ve camped with no shade in south TX and the hottest it got inside was about 79 with outside temps over 105. I cut up some reflective insulation panels to put in the windows and that helped a lot.
TxPilot2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
CowboyTX

Thanks TXPilot - that’s the info I was looking for. If it cools to 15-20 degrees below outdoor temp then that’s about all we can hope for. The camper must have sufficient insulation then. Are you guys happy with the 386mbi.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

As I said, we use an 8K portable to supplement the 15K Dometic on the roof but even more, we added very dark tint to our windows which helped a TON and I went through and sealed all the air outlets so they didn't leak into the void and sealed between the in and out on the lower A/C assembly so there was no leak there. I changed the outlets so they could be directed or closed. i put foam at the ends of the duct runs so cooled air didn't escape into the ceiling void. Run fans to move the air; especially from the portable A/C. This keep the cabin temps in the upper 70s in 105F direct sun. I have an RV-Armor roof which is supposed to help the cabin stay cool since it is white and reflects a bit. I try to position my 5ver (where possible) to be able to use the awning to shield from the western sun. I drink lots of fluids and try not to get out of my recliner often. LOTS can be done to mitigate the effects of the Texas sun but I wish I had a second A/C. Not sure how many Cougars have 50A service but as has been noted, those that do are braced/wired for a 2nd A/C generally. I am guessing insulation in a Cougar is not all that great.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
TxPilot2185

Yes you will definitely get 20 degrees cooler than ambient temp. I forgot to mention that I also did the sealing between the intake and blower like the previous poster mentioned. If you take the inside ceiling cover off you will see how crappy it is from the factory. I’d say that there was at least a total of 25-30% unsealed area between the intake and blower divider section. The ducting in the 368MBI doesn’t have any dead ends, it’s a loop between the two AC’s as far as I know... so you shouldn’t need to block the ends because there are no ends, but I could be wrong. I’ve had several adult beverages after a long day at work so hopefully that all makes sense lol.
TxPilot2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
CowboyTX

No worries. I was having a few of those beverages myself when I read it so it made perfect sense! One last question - my big concern while researching our options, was the number of postings where people have had problems with water leaks and other issues and Keystone not honoring warranties. Any experience with that?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTX View Post
No worries. I was having a few of those beverages myself when I read it so it made perfect sense! One last question - my big concern while researching our options, was the number of postings where people have had problems with water leaks and other issues and Keystone not honoring warranties. Any experience with that?

Your post has multiple questions. Water leaks; for us on the first night of trying out the trailer we found the black tank flush wouldn't work due to the anti siphon valve being installed backward - fixed under warranty. Not a leak per se but sort of.... We've had one leak in the water lines under the bathroom sink - tightened all connections and it was repaired. We had one leak from the galley gray tank just repaired last month. Replaced the gray tank under extended warranty.

Keystone not honoring warranties; you will get responses all over the map on that. For us, we've had a very good experience with Keystone on this trailer. Virtually everything we have submitted has been approved - some quite extensive along with their approval to make additional mods to prevent future failures. We had one warranty request that was not approved and after my intervention and involvement of the service manager, we found the service advisor submitted a request that was completely inaccurate. Accurate information submitted by the service manager got the repairs approved. I have several other instances but basically the same.

I believe, along with many others, that the dealer can make or break your warranty experience thus your satisfaction with any particular RV; Keystone or not. We've had a very good dealer and I'm on a 1st name, face recognition, holler "hi" across the room basis with the lead service advisor, service manager and GM. They take care of me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
So far most all of the campers we have looked at down here have two ac's from factory. It's a necessity down here. And I will definitely get 2. I know too that different manufacturers have different levels of insulation that can make a big difference even if you have both ac's. Just wondering about the ability of the Cougars to keep a comfortable temperature when it is really hot outside. I have heard good reviews on the Rockwoods and Grand Designs in regards to that.
Whatever RV you chose or how they advertise their heating/cooling abilities there's only so much insulation that can be put in a 2 - 2 1/2" thick wall. Doubtful that with any make or model you'd notice any difference once the outside temps got above 90 unless you're parked totally shaded. They're all built with only a couple different vendors for furnaces & air conditioners with the same laminated wall process. Dual pane windows do make huge difference, but won't find them in too many of the entry to low end RVs.
IMHO any RV over about 25' 2 acs are a must & wouldn't buy one that didn't have.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Trailers intended for casual campers are likely not insulated very well regardless of manufacturer. Here is a pretty honest review of a Keystone Cougar that was full timed.
https://www.loveyourrv.com/keystone-...railer-review/
Old 10-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Trailers intended for casual campers are likely not insulated very well regardless of manufacturer. Here is a pretty honest review of a Keystone Cougar that was full timed.
https://www.loveyourrv.com/keystone-...railer-review/
I think in full disclosure it should be pointed out that this was a 2011 Cougar 5th wheel and the writer indicates 1 AC - written 18 mos. after purchase if I read correctly so may not reflect what's going on with current Cougars/ACs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
CowboyTX

I appreciate everyone's input and its all been helpful. And Sourdough, I especially appreciate your information and experiences. And you are right that the dealership service manager can make all the difference as we have seen the same. With so many different brands out there it can be difficult to know which way to go.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #15
sully585

Cowboy,
We bought our 368mbi on September 6th and have been living in it in North Texas during the hottest September on record. Parked in direct sunlight with the fridge side facing south toward the sun all day. So pretty much a tough test for any AC’s cooling capabilities. Highest temp inside during that time was 80 degrees which I thought was decent considering the circumstances. After the sun went down the AC’s would catch up fairly quick and have it down to around 75 within an hour of sunset.

The fridge, on the other hand, struggled. Temp would normally hover around 45 degrees during the heat of the day which is not cold enough. I had to install 2 supplemental fans on the back of the fridge to help vent the air out of the cabinet. That seemed to help some but still not ideal during the day. It works much better at night of course. Normally cools down to around 37 degrees by the time we get up in the morning. It’s 88 degrees at 3pm right now and the fridge is at 38 with us being in and out of it all day.

Side note. We LOVE the 368mbi floor plan. Tons of room and the rear living room is great.
Reese Goose Box 16K
sully585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
CowboyTX

Thanks for the post Sully. We too really like the floor plan of the 368. It’s perfect for us. But we have also looked at the Grand Design Reflection 367bhs which has the exact same floor plan. However it is probably $5000 more than the Cougar. Hm...
Old 10-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #17
sully585

Quote:
Thanks for the post Sully. We too really like the floor plan of the 368. It’s perfect for us. But we have also looked at the Grand Design Reflection 367bhs which has the exact same floor plan. However it is probably $5000 more than the Cougar. Hm...
we also looked at the Reflection first, and tried to deal with the dealership down in DFW. i was willing to pay around 3k more for the Grand Design name, but in the end they just didn't want to deal. the Keystone dealer, on the other hand, bent over backwards to make the sale to us, including giving me a Reese Goose Box hitch at their cost with free installation. so we now own a Keystone and don't regret it a bit.
Reese Goose Box 16K
sully585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
LewisB

Quote:
Thanks TXPilot - that’s the info I was looking for. If it cools to 15-20 degrees below outdoor temp then that’s about all we can hope for. The camper must have sufficient insulation then. Are you guys happy with the 386mbi.
You don't have to live with 15-20 degree differential expectations. We live in the southwest (Tucson) where the temperature commonly reaches 110. Would you be happy living with 90 degrees inside?

We have owned two different toy haulers in the 40' range. Two AC units was/is inadequate for a trailer that size. However, if set up properly, 3 AC units works really well and produces more like a 35 degree differential. So if outside is 110, then inside can be 75!

It really depends on how large of a 5er you plan to purchase. Three AC units may not be of interest to most users, but if you are going big on the trailer and commonly visit/live where the temperature is over 100, then consider upsizing your cooling.

For more information, see:
http://http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39365&highlight=3%2AAC
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #19
Peacemkr53

2019 Cougar 315RLS (36')- Bought new, added the forward a/c. In Florida in June, with temps in the high 90's and humidity in the 80's we were comfortable. My set up requires 50 amps and the EMS showed we were drawing 40 to 43 amps. Saw the post about 3 a/c - concern is enough juice to run 3. IMHO
Peacemkr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr53 View Post
2019 Cougar 315RLS (36')- Bought new, added the forward a/c. In Florida in June, with temps in the high 90's and humidity in the 80's we were comfortable. My set up requires 50 amps and the EMS showed we were drawing 40 to 43 amps. Saw the post about 3 a/c - concern is enough juice to run 3. IMHO
Right. Don't forget that a 50A RV service is not really correctly named. It is really 50A/Leg - there are two legs so in fact you can pull up to 50A+50A on this service without overloading or popping a breaker. My Surge Guard EMS remote shows our system with 3 AC units in service. One AC is on the A leg and 2 are on the B leg (plus some other load). As long as you don't run all AC units on the same leg in your WFCO power panel, you would be fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	23987
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, keystone