Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
SiniWisdom

Ego Power+ Nexus Power Station

Does anyone know about or have any experience with this power supply/inverter? It's lithium batteries 2000W running and 3000W surge. I hate gas generators and looking for an alternative to power my Cougar 25res when I begin full timing and boondock. It was built to run power tools on a construction site but I was hoping I could use it in place of a generator while camping.
SiniWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd add this observation:

With a generator, you can "recharge" (fill the gas tank") in about 2 or 3 minutes. With any "battery powered inverter" you need substantial time to "recharge". It won't happen in a couple minutes and in most situations, not in a couple of hours. So, take into consideration how you'll "sustain the battery bank". Most applications, in the 2000 watt range, are designed with expensive solar arrays to keep the batteries charged or they are intended for intermittent use for a couple hours and then recharge from a dependable energy source.

IMHO, there's a lot more than just the battery/inverter that you need to address in making any decision on a power source for AC power in an RV. Boondocking isn't usually a "one night and done" kind of event.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

What you need to figure out is
the demand for power between before the ability to recharge (how many amp hours of "anticipated" consumption)
The source to recharge the batteries, i.e. the source if it's a generator, solar, shore power, etc. and how much time will it take to replace the energy (amp hours) for each method.
What are the variables for each power replenishment, i.e. solar isn't as efficient in fall/winter or cloudy days. generators don't produce rated output above a certain altitude, etc.

The 2K or 3K lithium battery pack is the rating for the current draw only. You will have to look at the amp hour rating to see what the capacity of the battery is.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
travelin texans

Not to mention when the word "lithium" is used that = $$$$$.
I can't stand parked next to someone with their cheapo construction generator running all day either, but there are several out there that are very quiet nowadays.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Customer1

If I understand what it is, you still need a generator. Many of us have accomplished the same thing DIY with a battery bank and inverter.

How do you intend to charge this "power supply"
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
SiniWisdom

I think the cheapo construction generator you are talking about hating are gas generators, which is what I am trying to avoid. Maybe I'll go with a dual fuel generator: gas or propane.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiniWisdom View Post
I think the cheapo construction generator you are talking about hating are gas generators, which is what I am trying to avoid. Maybe I'll go with a dual fuel generator: gas or propane.
The only difference in gas VS propane in a duel fuel generator is the rated out put is lower using lp . The noise would be the same.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
SiniWisdom

Understood... my point is that I'm trying to avoid gas generators because there's more maintenance involved. Not because of the noise. Maybe I'll look into the battery bank and inverter option. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Understood... my point is that I'm trying to avoid gas generators because there's more maintenance involved. Not because of the noise. Maybe I'll look into the battery bank and inverter option. Thanks for all the input.
Just a comment regarding your reasoning for avoiding a gas generator vs a propane generator. According to the Champion, Honda and Yamaha owner's manuals, there is no distinction in maintenance requirements based on fuel used. They all recommend the same maintenance schedule for oil changes, air filter cleaning, combustion chamber cleaning and even recommend the same schedule for fuel line (gas) or LP line (propane) at the 3 year interval.

The only significant difference is in "shutdown procedure" (not maintenance). When operating on gas, if further use is not intended, turn off the fuel valve and let the generator run to empty the carburetor bowl. When operating on propane, turn off the generator as there is no fuel in the carburetor bowl. If, however, the generator has been fueled and used on both gas and propane, then both actions to prepare for storage are suggested....

At any rate, as for maintenance, there is no "increased maintenance requirement when operating on gas vs propane"

Solar systems are also "not without maintenance requirements"... Corrosion control, cleaning the surface of solar panels, maintaining snow removal, leaf removal, pine tar cleanup are all vital to maintaining a solar system. In some situations, it's even more "man hours required" to maintain solar than a gas/propane generator system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Then you've circled back to the beginning as you still need to replenish the stored energy in the battery bank. There only a few, already mentioned options on doing that.

Tags
power