Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
sprky69

Furnace Filter

I have a 2014 Keystone Hideout 28' and was wondering if there is a furnace filter? And if yes, where is it located? Thank you
sprky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

RV furnaces don’t not have a filter, the roof A/C does.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
sprky69

Furnace Filter

Thank you. Thought so but wasn't sure...may make my own filter since return air vent is at or near floor and I'm sure there is debris...dirt, dust, etc..going back to heat exchanger..
sprky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

As a rule you don’t want to restrict the airflow. We have one member that has installed one, but an RV heater system is different than a house system in the fact that There is less volume of air moved, and cutting it down more with a filter may cause issues. I have no written proof, but I never added a filter and travel with a long hair Siamese cat and a dog.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
bobbecky

This is from the Atwood heater installation/maintenance manual:

RETURN AIR
The return air passage should be clean and clear of
obstructions and meet the minimum square inches as
specified in the installation instructions. Make sure
combustibles are not stored in the furnace
compartment. Filters are not recommended at these air
passages.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

No filter used nor needed. Your furnace at home, typically has a set of air conditioning coils inside that have very narrow passages and gets wet when in cooling mode so dust and hair will readily stick to it and restrict the airflow. Therefore it requires a filter. The air conditioner in your camper requires a filter for the same reason.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
Archergodwin

As the Site Team has reminded me ( I installed a filter on mine ) not all modifications can be done on all units.

Mine is a unique situation where the original cold air return is a ~220 square inch opening. I think that is easily larger than most. I have not had an issue in the 5 yrs or so that I've used a standard furnace filter on it, and I live in my coach full time. I also change it every 3 months of operation.

However, you do not want to restrict your flow so much that the furnace overheats it's burn chamber, or cause your sail switch to malfunction. It's the same caution related to making sure you have X number of ports/vents open for the furnace to function properly. (X will be the number stated in the installation manual). The furnace needs to 'breathe' well.

So unless you have a pretty large cold air return, I wouldn't chance restricting it.
Full-time in my Fuzion since 2011
USAF Vet. B-52G Crewchief.
Archergodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:45 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergodwin View Post
As the Site Team has reminded me ( I installed a filter on mine ) not all modifications can be done on all units.

Mine is a unique situation where the original cold air return is a ~220 square inch opening. I think that is easily larger than most. I have not had an issue in the 5 yrs or so that I've used a standard furnace filter on it, and I live in my coach full time. I also change it every 3 months of operation.

However, you do not want to restrict your flow so much that the furnace overheats it's burn chamber, or cause your sail switch to malfunction. It's the same caution related to making sure you have X number of ports/vents open for the furnace to function properly. (X will be the number stated in the installation manual). The furnace needs to 'breathe' well.

So unless you have a pretty large cold air return, I wouldn't chance restricting it.
And there are filters and then there are filters. Running to Wally World and getting cheap filter, installing and forgetting it would be disastrous. A lot of folks look at at a <$5 filter and a >$30 quality pleated filter and you can pretty much guess the outcome.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And there are filters and then there are filters. Running to Wally World and getting cheap filter, installing and forgetting it would be disastrous. A lot of folks look at at a <$5 filter and a >$30 quality pleated filter and you can pretty much guess the outcome.
Indeed. Getting your oil changed at the local corner 'cheap' oil/filter changing place can be disastrous as well... why I don't do it. Buying a cheap water filter could make you sick.

I am using a quality 12x24x1 name brand pleated filter. It is not in my nature to 'cheap out'. Cheaping out on anything will have it's consequences, and if that is the nature of 'a lot of folks', then they should sell their trailer and never pick up a wrench again.

"If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well".
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Indeed. Getting your oil changed at the local corner 'cheap' oil/filter changing place can be disastrous as well... why I don't do it. Buying a cheap water filter could make you sick.

I am using a quality 12x24x1 name brand pleated filter. It is not in my nature to 'cheap out'. Cheaping out on anything will have it's consequences, and if that is the nature of 'a lot of folks', then they should sell their trailer and never pick up a wrench again.

"If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well".
Couldn't agree more. I used your post as a "springboard" to get the point across. It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will spend tens of thousands of dollars and then "cheap out" a couple of bucks on an item that often can have a major negative effect costing more money as a result.

Reminds me of my BIL. We were visiting them in CO years ago and he drove 15 miles out of his way to save 5 cents a gallon on the 9 gallon he bought. When I inquired on the gas mileage he was getting and pointed out how much money he LOST he couldn't understand it. Oh well.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #11
Archergodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Reminds me of my BIL. We were visiting them in CO years ago and he drove 15 miles out of his way to save 5 cents a gallon on the 9 gallon he bought. When I inquired on the gas mileage he was getting and pointed out how much money he LOST he couldn't understand it. Oh well.
You sure we don't have the same BIL?
Old 11-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You sure we don't have the same BIL?
Are you familiar with the movie Christmas Vacation? I swear the writers must have meet my BIL when they cast Randy Quaid as cousin Eddie. DEAD RINGER!

Tags
furnace