Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
xrated

Not Really a Question, but I Found an Answer.....

So today, while winterizing the T.H. (Impact 303) I discovered something that I didn't know...(remember, this is my first camping type trailer ever). So I've been battling a leak under the sink since I installed a new kitchen faucet a couple of months ago. The fitting on the end of the hot water line, where it connects to the faucet (1/2" MPT) was leaking some and it has gotten worse over the past few outings. Nothing I have done has been able to stop it until today. So I've been trying different things and running a lot of water through the sink, to the point that my Grey tank #2 got full. Since there are two different Grey tanks on the T.H., I just assumed that when one got full, it automatically started filling the other tank! NOT! So today, after I bought new fittings, PEX tubing, and a PEX clamping tool and installed them, I was running a lot of water through the faucet to check for leaks (good news is that the leaks have been solved), but the grey tank got so full that it filled up all the way to the vent tube upright that is also located under the sink area. So after doing some checking, I figured out that one grey tank is for the kitchen sink only, and the other is for the shower and the bath vanity....AND they are not connected in any way except to drain out the same line that you hook the sewer hose to. So now I know...two separate tanks (32 gallon each) and of course the normal Black water tank.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Javi

Yep, but there is a easy way to equalize them and have in effect a 62 gallon grey tank... I do it when camping without a sewer hookup. We never fill the galley tank, even over a week stay so it really was wasted space.

Javi
Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yep, but there is a easy way to equalize them and have in effect a 62 gallon grey tank... I do it when camping without a sewer hookup. We never fill the galley tank, even over a week stay so it really was wasted space.

Javi

So what is the easy way ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
So what is the easy way ?

I'd like to know that answer to that also!

Old 11-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
Javi

Get you one of these if you don't already have one... very useful for a lot of sewer related things... https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

And one of these... https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...+rv+sewer+caps

Install them when you get to your site... make sure the new valve is closed and then open both grey water tank valves...

presto... two separate tanks become one...

Just be sure to close both grey tanks before dumping the black tank..
Old 11-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
xrated

Thank you for the links and advice...that is pretty slick for sure

Old 11-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
So today, while winterizing the T.H. (Impact 303) I discovered something that I didn't know...(remember, this is my first camping type trailer ever). So I've been battling a leak under the sink since I installed a new kitchen faucet a couple of months ago. The fitting on the end of the hot water line, where it connects to the faucet (1/2" MPT) was leaking some and it has gotten worse over the past few outings. Nothing I have done has been able to stop it until today. So I've been trying different things and running a lot of water through the sink, to the point that my Grey tank #2 got full. Since there are two different Grey tanks on the T.H., I just assumed that when one got full, it automatically started filling the other tank! NOT! So today, after I bought new fittings, PEX tubing, and a PEX clamping tool and installed them, I was running a lot of water through the faucet to check for leaks (good news is that the leaks have been solved), but the grey tank got so full that it filled up all the way to the vent tube upright that is also located under the sink area. So after doing some checking, I figured out that one grey tank is for the kitchen sink only, and the other is for the shower and the bath vanity....AND they are not connected in any way except to drain out the same line that you hook the sewer hose to. So now I know...two separate tanks (32 gallon each) and of course the normal Black water tank.
I have the same issue only it's the smaller galley tank that fills up while the main grey tank is less than half full. Wife likes to cook so we do a lot of dishes.

Quote:

Javi
Quote:
Get you one of these if you don't already have one... very useful for a lot of sewer related things... https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

And one of these... https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...+rv+sewer+caps

Install them when you get to your site... make sure the new valve is closed and then open both grey water tank valves...

presto... two separate tanks become one...

Just be sure to close both grey tanks before dumping the black tank..
I think I understand but I was journalism major and science has never been my strong suit, so bear with me here. So by leaving both grey valves open, as the galley tank fills up water will back up the pipe to the main (other) grey tank. Is that correct?

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I have the same issue only it's the smaller galley tank that fills up while the main grey tank is less than half full. Wife likes to cook so we do a lot of dishes.

I think I understand but I was journalism major and science has never been my strong suit, so bear with me here. So by leaving both grey valves open, as the galley tank fills up water will back up the pipe to the main (other) grey tank. Is that correct?
Yes.... in essence it becomes one tank... and most likely it isn't a smaller tank.. historically they are all the same size.. For example.. I have a 38 gallon Black tank, a 38 gallon grey water tank and a 38 gallon galley tank... (we use paper plates)

I also have a 35 gallon dumpette, which I use for extended stays..
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #9
Tinner12002

Already have both of those items but hadn't thought of doing that. Last time we were out, we ended up nearly filling both greys anyway without any thought of hooking them together. I'll certainly keep it in mind though!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
ken56

Fine and dandy if you have one dump connection as the OP stated he did. My unit has 2 dump connections so this would not work for me. For the OP, I would not mix my black tank and grey tank at any time so don't start thinking you can gain even more room if you open all the valves.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Fine and dandy if you have one dump connection as the OP stated he did. My unit has 2 dump connections so this would not work for me. For the OP, I would not mix my black tank and grey tank at any time so don't start thinking you can gain even more room if you open all the valves.
Thanks for the heads up, but I would NEVER consider mixing the Black tank with either one of the Grey tanks......but having both the grey tanks together does sound appealing.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Okay, for all y'all dumper challenged folks with two or more dump connections.... what I suggested above will not be practical for y'all...

For those of us who are blessed with one dump connection but two grey tanks it works like a champ...

I also use a 12V pump off the water hose connection on the cap to pump grey water up into my 35 gallon portable dump tank in the back of my pickup... that way I don't have to pull the thing through camp to visit the dump station...
https://www.amazon.com/PC1-Portable-...And+Attachment
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 AM   #13
Tinner12002

Quote:
Don't think he ever mentioned mixing with blk tank or with any insinuation of doing so, he was only talking about greys. My RV has two dump locations also, about 12ft apart, but both greys dump through the same one.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote