Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

rear view camera query

Wireless rear view cameras are mostly all digital now I am guessing. Want to add one so I can see behind me on the road. My F350 has trailer mirrors but they don't see tailgaters. Problem I have is that the digital cameras have some folks who claim that the image is delayed so if you see a car behind you in the monitor, it will be actually passing you because of a delay. Are there good quality rear view cameras out there that don't have this issue? I have a 2002 Cougar so the Furion camera has no advantage as my trailer is obviously not pre-wired.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
MarkEHansen

There is a slight delay on my Furrion camera, but it's a split second. You can tell if you're looking at someone standing behind your trailer offering hand signals and you look both in the mirror and in the camera's display - but that's about it. Definitely not to the extend you described.

The problem with the Furrion is the image quality is not that great. I'm actually considering picking up a Haloview as I understand the image is supposed to be a lot better:

https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Digi...dp/B07GKXPKRS/

Good luck in your search.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Was thinking about this camera. Has best rating for wireless on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
Old 11-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

10 years ago I bought a Rear View Safety "WIRED" (not wireless) system. I have installed it (and removed it) from 3 trucks (monitor and power supply/switching unit) and installed it (and removed it) from two fifth wheels.

Although it's 10 years old and has "been through hell and back" it still performs flawlessly, has excellent, "real time" video and a "simple but effective" audio system (one way only, from the camera to the monitor).

If I were looking for a system "around $200 or so" and wanted something that will last and still be working 10 years from now, I'd look seriously at the RVS systems. If you consider the "fifth wheel package" it comes with a coiled cable that connects at the pin box, so what you have is two cables to connect and disconnect when hitching/unhitching, the 7 pin connector and the camera connector. It's a "aircraft quality cannon plug" so practically indestructible as is the rest of the system.

Some people are "adverse" to a wired system, but when you consider the reality of a "wireless system", you still have to run power to the camera/transmitter and if you don't get a good signal, you wind up running power to a repeater box at the front of the trailer. In reality, even a "wireless system" is a "wired system"... at least in part.

Here's the one I bought 10 years ago and am still using.
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...70613-213.html The list price is $360, but can be found for significantly less at various internet sites. One is https://www.carid.com/rear-view-safe...70613-213.html where the price is $300.

With Black Friday coming up, there are going to be some sites that will offer this type of system for $100 or more off the MSRP.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
10 years ago I bought a Rear View Safety "WIRED" (not wireless) system. I have installed it (and removed it) from 3 trucks (monitor and power supply/switching unit) and installed it (and removed it) from two fifth wheels.

Although it's 10 years old and has "been through hell and back" it still performs flawlessly, has excellent, "real time" video and a "simple but effective" audio system (one way only, from the camera to the monitor).

If I were looking for a system "around $200 or so" and wanted something that will last and still be working 10 years from now, I'd look seriously at the RVS systems. If you consider the "fifth wheel package" it comes with a coiled cable that connects at the pin box, so what you have is two cables to connect and disconnect when hitching/unhitching, the 7 pin connector and the camera connector. It's a "aircraft quality cannon plug" so practically indestructible as is the rest of the system.

Some people are "adverse" to a wired system, but when you consider the reality of a "wireless system", you still have to run power to the camera/transmitter and if you don't get a good signal, you wind up running power to a repeater box at the front of the trailer. In reality, even a "wireless system" is a "wired system"... at least in part.

Here's the one I bought 10 years ago and am still using.
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...70613-213.html The list price is $360, but can be found for significantly less at various internet sites. One is https://www.carid.com/rear-view-safe...70613-213.html where the price is $300.

With Black Friday coming up, there are going to be some sites that will offer this type of system for $100 or more off the MSRP.
You are probably right; wired system will not be as finicky as wireless and more reliable signal. I can't afford the RVS system even with the discount as I am asking for it as an XMAS present. Am going to try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Installation-...st_sto_dp&th=1

They are having a Black Friday sale via Amazon Prime (my kiddo has Amazon Prime) so hopefully it will work out. Already have a wireless camera mounted which died about 15 minutes after getting on the road with it; was a cheapo.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That looks like an interesting system. The price is certainly right and if the quality is good, then it's an excellent price.

Let us know how it goes, more members may want to take advantage of that system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-27-2019, 04:54 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

As I understand it, there are back-up cameras and rear observation cameras. The difference was more than just when they power on, but in the quality of the image - a back up camera doesn't have to have as high a quality (frame rate?) since the image is not changing that fast.

If you intend to use the camera as a rear observation (while driving), you may want to check into this.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I tried a wireless camera about 6 years ago, don't remember the brand. I know 6 yrs in technology is a lifetime but here's my experience. EVERY time I drove by a storage lot, liquor store, car dealer, etc the picture would get scrambled and often I would see their camera image.

So I bought a hard wired system from rvcams.com. The camera is high quality with excellent night vision and audio. Have wired on whenever connected to the truck and on when constant not just in reverse. I usebit like a rearview camera and keep the audio on low and can hear sirens behind before they get to the cab.The system wasn't "cheap" but I believe you get what you pay for.

I also bought a "cheap" hard wired system for the tv with 3 cameras off of Amazon. One camera in the grill, one in the step bumper for hitching and one in the bed cap for general backing. Same age as the trailer unit but I've replaced the front camera and the rear bumper cameras 3 times and the cap camera twice.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
As I understand it, there are back-up cameras and most "cheap" rear observation cameras. The difference was more than just when they power on, but in the quality of the image - a back up camera doesn't have to have as high a quality (frame rate?) since the image is not changing that fast.

If you intend to use the camera as a rear observation (while driving), you may want to check into this.
As I understand it, the issue with "reverse only" cameras and "observation" cameras is the ability to send large amounts of changing data "via the wireless link". Most of the "reverse only" cameras only send the data that changes from frame to frame. That means they are (for the most part) not capable of sending the large amount of rapidly changing data that would be scanned at 60MPH while in "observation mode". So, an "averaging video system" is usually not capable of being used to send "frame rate video"...

So, not only do you have to deal with the limited broadcast distance, interference from outside sources and rapidly changing frame content, you have to deal with doing it "full time at highway speeds" rather than "as slowly backing into a spot". Most "inexpensive" (Chinese knockoffs) sold for less than $100 at WalMart, Target and AutoZone just don't make the cut when it comes to "broadcast capacity", range or reception. So, they're marketed as "reverse monitor systems" and fail miserably when used "full time"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

I have used THREE Chinese made low quality camera/monitor systems. First one I got worked fine EXCEPT when going over overpasses/bridges then the signal would break up. Also was affected when going by a shopping mall or that sort of place. The thing was not good at night as the headlights to the rear created blooms of light on the screen and there was little useful after dark. Next cheapo Chinese system never worked (wireless). Took it out of the box, popped the hood on my truck and connected electrical leads direct to the battery and the camera never showed an image.

Still have the last piece of junk. Last camera/monitor (wireless) was also a Chinese cheapo. Spent some time hooking up to the current 5ver and pulled out of my spot on the property and around our U shaped drive and it gave up the ghost after flickering a bit. Guess it is time to hang a wired system up. I have a wired rear view license plate camera on the pickup and it hasn't skipped a beat since I installed it. It is connected to my fancy Pioneer stereo monitor screen.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
GeekSquadOfUn

I purchased a wireless Haloview and am super happy. Yes there is very slight delay, very small. Under $250.

I like it for driving on the highway and being able to see who's tailgating. Works very well for me, image quality is very good, better than my friend's new Furrion, which cost more.

It only needs 12v, which can obtained from your tail lights.

It will, sometimes in heavy traffic, stop for 10 to 15 seconds, but I'm OK with that. There's going to be interference on any wireless device occasionally.

It has met with my expectations. And at the end, that is what is most important.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #12
tech740

I bought a used wireless Furrion with the 4 inch screen. I love it. Works well for lane changes and suction cups to the dash so it can be removed with no issues when it isn't needed. Its only 334.00 on amazon. Not bad for what you get.
https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-72912...12812544&psc=1

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Wireless rear view cameras are mostly all digital now I am guessing. Want to add one so I can see behind me on the road. My F350 has trailer mirrors but they don't see tailgaters. Problem I have is that the digital cameras have some folks who claim that the image is delayed so if you see a car behind you in the monitor, it will be actually passing you because of a delay. Are there good quality rear view cameras out there that don't have this issue? I have a 2002 Cougar so the Furion camera has no advantage as my trailer is obviously not pre-wired.
Delayed? maybe by a few thousands of a second. In any case there are no non-digital cameras for sale that I know of. An analog camera would be too big if they even existed. ALL cameras including TV are digital today. Get any wireless camera, with a repeater and wire into the running lights so it is always on.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
bsmith0404

I added the Emmako digital wireless from Amazon. Initially I had some issues with connectivity due to the length of my 5er. I contacted them, they sent me two antennas with 12’ cables allowing me to place one on the back of the roof on the truck and the other about a 10’ forward of the rear of the RV. Works great now, there is a slight signal delay, but probably no more than 1-2 seconds. Not enough to be concerned about anyway.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
Nitram987

Wireless vs wired rear camera system

I tried for a year to get what was an excellently-reviewed "digital" Chinese wireless system to work well. And I'm only a 22' travel trailer. After working with the manufacturer's rep for months, I gave up and hard-wired it using coax cable (it needs coax because I am effectively hard-wiring an RF high frequency signal). Now it's working well, with no delays and no dropouts at 60 mph.

My experience is, do not trust the reviews. In my case, 90% of the reviews appear to be machine generated. The 1 star reviews told the real story. I should have heeded them.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram987 View Post
I tried for a year to get what was an excellently-reviewed "digital" Chinese wireless system to work well. And I'm only a 22' travel trailer. After working with the manufacturer's rep for months, I gave up and hard-wired it using coax cable (it needs coax because I am effectively hard-wiring an RF high frequency signal). Now it's working well, with no delays and no dropouts at 60 mph.

My experience is, do not trust the reviews. In my case, 90% of the reviews appear to be machine generated. The 1 star reviews told the real story. I should have heeded them.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
Farside

The biggest problem with these wireless camera systems is the frequency that most of them are using, and the protection that is built into the systems. Most of them will cut out periodically while running down the road leaving you wonder if you lost power to the camera. The reason is mostly due to the frequency band that these systems use. The 24GHZ band is pretty well used by everyone with older phones, routers, and video gaming systems. That means, if someone is talking on their phone next to you, or driving past you, their phone could interfere with your camera signal. Also, anytime you are running down the road and you pass a grocery store with a wireless camera in the park lot, your camera could blank out for a second or two, or your system could even pick-up their video briefly, instead of yours.

Why do these systems use the 24GHZ band, because the FCC has dedicated the 24GHZ for these devices. The 5GHZ band is also available, but due to the power restrictions for different frequencies, it does not transmit as far as the 24GHZ band. So, those cameras that will transmit up to a 100ft sound pretty good, but they will be more susceptible to interference, and you will have periods that you will be scratching your head on why you keep losing the signal.

As for wired systems, they are more reliable and not as susceptible to interference, but they have their own problems. You might run into some stray interference from the vehicle if it's not grounded properly.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
sonofcy

2.4, not 24. I have seen a fellow RVer (Ray on Love Your RV) test the Haloview cameras and their range is several times the length of the rig so I doubt there would be any dropouts. Antenna placement on the back of the rig is far more likely the cause of any dropout issue. My RV is 42' long and mine works perfectly.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
Conanmat

We originally had a Tadi wireless system 7" monitor with 4 cameras (2 rear, 1 each side) on a 30' TT worked well other than sometimes would lose video.
Earlier this year we upgraded to a Keystone Alpine 3651 5er 39'6" and went with a (LeeKooLuu 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Observation System 7'' DVR Monitor Split/quad screen from Amazon) monitor and 2 cameras for $250.00 cameras 1-targeted at just behind 5er and 1-targeting back down the road. I love it, video lags some at 65-70 mph but other than that it works better than the Tadi system which was $800.00. I also installed (TECHTOO 9dBi WiFi Antenna 2.4Ghz) Increases the Range of Your Wireless Devices 2 antenna for $14.00.
The LeekooLuu had very good reviews which was my deciding factor.
[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8JQMZ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?
[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRPZFZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?
Conanmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #20
Glider

Furrion Vision S Works Great For Me

I’m using the Furrion Vision S on on my 2018 Passport 2900RK which is 33.75 feet long. I tow with a 2018 Ford Expedition Max. I have a very stable and clear picture going down the road with 3-4 bars for signal strength. I haven’t noticed a problem at all with loss signal or any significant delay. The IR camera works good at night as well. Pretty good system for both observation and backup camera at $330 to $350. My TT was prewired with mount already installed by Keystone. Easy to install camera and add monitor to windshield which suction cup mount. You do need to keep at least parking lamps on to power camera which is no big deal. https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906138284...3TASF-V1.1.pdf
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote