Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #21
MisaLetet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
How can the iN-Command run off of the battery, even while the battery is being fed by the converter/charger? That doesn't sound right. I would bet if your converter/charger has the DC system at 13.6 volts, your iN-Command is getting 13.6 volts.

Check the voltage at your batteries (with the shore power connected) to make sure your converter/charger hasn't given up.
Tested batteries and they were well above 12.6.
MisaLetet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #22
MisaLetet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think there's a couple of "considerations" that are being confused in this situation.

First, the In-Command system "MUST" operate off battery power, otherwise, you couldn't use the system when dry camping.

Second, Any "electrical system with two sources of power (battery or converter) must have an isolator circuit/switch to separate the two sources OR they both "power and influence" the circuit.

So, the In-Command system is powered by the battery AND the converter. If the trailer is not plugged into shore power, the system receives power from the battery. If the trailer is plugged into shore power, the system receives power from the battery WHICH RECEIVES POWER FROM THE CONVERTER.

To my knowledge, there is only one "power plug" to the In-Command unit and there is no "isolator circuit/switch" in the wiring to that "power plug".

The only "exception to that rule" (that I know of) is the inclusion of a "battery cutoff switch" installed on part of the 12 VDC wiring (by Keystone). That BCO switch does not disconnect the In-Command system in trailers that I've looked at.

Now, if the trailer is disconnected from shore power, the battery voltage, measured at the In-Command plug will reflect the battery charge level. If the trailer is connected to shore power, the voltage at the In-Command plug will reflect the "higher, charging voltage produced by the converter/charger in the trailer power center (which is the "measured voltage anywhere in the 12 VDC system).
Absolutely correct!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaLetet View Post
Holy smokes! We didn't run into lightning but ASA Electronics has replaced our DC. We now have access to everything that thing controls.once again. This is our second DC.
Second as in a replacement for the original, or second as in you have done this replacement twice?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
MisaLetet

Update!

ASA issued a return authorization. We received a new DC today, installed it and things are working as they should. I have not heard from ASA regarding the DC we returned.

Thank you all for your input

Lisa
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #25
ChuckS

Great that Jensen repacked the DC. Was your In Command setup the older Blue Tooth connection or the hard wired version?

The newest generation In Command 8s hard wired from DC to BCM

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #26
MisaLetet

We did the reset on the BCM and it was fine. It was the DC that wasn't connecting to the BCM and was dead.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #27
MisaLetet

We have the older version that uses a bluetooth connection. After this situation, my husband want to wire everything. It sucks green apples when you don't have the connection to run the water pump, water heater etc... When it works its fantastic. This is our second warranty replacement. The first go round was because the DC had to constantly be reset. That was a known problem and easy exchange. Dead android dude came up when I pressed the HOME key on the DC and nothing happened LOL I'm glad it is all resolved. And for the record, you can not buy a DC. ASA Electronics only sells to Keystone and the other manufacturers who install the iNCommand system in their coaches. We asked and tried to purchase one. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind having a spare DC in the event this happens in the future. It is VERY INCONVENIENT to have to wait for the DC to be shipped. We live in California and sent it UPS second day air to speed the process along. ASA ships it regular ground from Indiana and that can take up to 4 days along with up to 4 days for them to open the package and inspect the DC before shipping a new one back.